BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 5/11/23

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Well equally all of our opinions are irrelevant.

He preferred him when Pears was in the team, presumably he felt that it wpuld upset the applecart. He made the wrong decision then. Pre season selections suggest Kaminski would have reverted to number 1. Unfortunately he was sold and we are left with 2 liabilities.

We'll never know if he made the wrong decision, unless you know what the results would have been with Kaminski in goal. 

I don't know why it's so difficult to accept that Tomasson preferred Pears, it's his job to pick the team and he lives or dies by the results. 

He preferred Pears and picked him accordingly. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski had a move to the Premier League because he is a very good keeper at this level, contrary to those who seemed to prefer Pears. He would have pushed for that move regardless. 

We should never have started a season with Hilton as number 2. But with a small fraction of the proceeds for Kaminski, we seem to have spent it on a dud.

Ridiculously harsh. He's a very good shot stopper and his kicking his excellent. His obvious weakness is crosses. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Ridiculously harsh. He's a very good shot stopper and his kicking his excellent. His obvious weakness is crosses. 

And that weakness is something that can (and, you'd imagine will) be worked on.

In GK terms, he's still very young and it appears we've bought potential as much as immediate ability.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Well, he obviously isn't an excellent shot stopper, nothing sticks with him, the ball might as well be a wet bar of soap and when he parries a ball out he generally pushes it straight out into the danger area instead of pushing it out to the side.

People are so set against Pears they're trying to see ability in this guy which simply isn't there but imo he's even worse than Pears - by some margin based on his performances since he came in. No wonder JDT was loath to play him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

We'll never know if he made the wrong decision, unless you know what the results would have been with Kaminski in goal. 

I don't know why it's so difficult to accept that Tomasson preferred Pears, it's his job to pick the team and he lives or dies by the results. 

He preferred Pears and picked him accordingly. 

He does, and we went from being in a play off position to a winless run leaving us outside.

Why is it difficult to accept on a messageboard that I might have my own opinion rather than just saying "it doesnt matter, this is what happened."

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The problem is, you can say any player has strengths and weaknesses but when a weakness is such a weakness that it potentially undermines the rest of your performance, that is when it becomes a real issue. It isnt just not as good as other areas, its a regular more than once a game issue. It cost us a goal midweek, today crosses didnt lead to a goal but obviously more than once he dropped crosses that thankfully didnt lead to goals due to poor Norwich attacking and last ditch defending.

I also havent seen that he is a "very good shot stopper." All keepers will obviously save shots, in his appearances he hasnt actually faced that many shots due to some excellent defending. To give him his credit, he made a really good save against Cardiff, he made a good one from a header today and he made a decent one early in the second half v Swansea. But he also regularly saves shots back into dangerous areas, we saw that more than once today including for a goal and again its not only from today. You also look at the goal v Millwall, that wasnt cross related, it was a tame header that he failed to save. So there is a mix of decent saves and handling errors either leading to goals or secondary chances.

Im clearly not on my own in finding him to be a total bombscare at the moment. His weaknesses massively outweigh his strengths and I would hate to be playing in front of him. Hopefully he can improve massively very quickly because I appreciate the difficulties of moving countries etc but we cant afford for him to keep doing what he is doing because we have actually been quite lucky that his poor goalkeeping has only led to 3 goals conceded and that 2 were in games we won.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well, he obviously isn't an excellent shot stopper, nothing sticks with him, the ball might as well be a wet bar of soap and when he parries a ball out he generally pushes it straight out into the danger area instead of pushing it out to the side.

People are so set against Pears they're trying to see ability in this guy which simply isn't there but imo he's even worse than Pears - by some margin based on his performances since he came in. No wonder JDT was loath to play him.

Selective as ever. 

Won us the game at home to Cardiff with a fantastic save. 

Produced an excellent point-blank save today from a close-range header. 

He has clear weaknesses, but a blind man on a galloping horse can see he has excellent reflexes. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, den said:

No Tyrone. 

I agree. I think it was a harsh decision but that doesn’t seem to cut any ice these days. They’ll back the ref. I thought their guy made a meal of it but Wharton gave him the chance. Not a great decision by Wharton to be honest. He should have let the guy go, we’re 3-0 up, cruising, and there’s nothing say their guy would have scored anyway.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I’m struggling to remember anyone worse over the last 60 years TBH.

Its a shame we’re talking about it to be honest because JDT - with everything he’s had to battle against since he’s been here - has got more out of a group of young lads than I ever thought possible.

• Backroom

I still think the red was just about the right decision, Wharton gets a slight touch on the ball but not enough to divert it away from danger, his trailing leg takes down their man and if not for that he’s in on goal 

Reckless to dive in at 3-0 up with that long to go 

I hope it is overturned but I’d be surprised 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. I think it was a harsh decision but that doesn’t seem to cut any ice these days. They’ll back the ref. I thought their guy made a meal of it but Wharton gave him the chance. Not a great decision by Wharton to be honest. He should have let the guy go, we’re 3-0 up, cruising, and there’s nothing say their guy would have scored anyway.

From what I’ve read on here tonight, Leo would either have definitely saved or definitely not have saved the subsequent shot on goal.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That’s like a golfer who can drive well but always three putts. Dealing with crosses is one of the basics of goalkeeping and Wahlstadt’s “weakness” on crosses makes him a liability at present 

I find it staggering that Kaminski apart we’ve had a succession of frankly rubbish goalkeepers who’ve cost us numerous points and victories in recent seasons and that we cannot find a steady, experienced goalkeeper in the lower divisions.

I’m not asking for brilliance here, just a solid old pro who knows what he’s doing and not yet another “work in progress” keeper who may or may not come good but in the meantime causes thousands of fans to be tearing their hair out at the glaring errors week after week

• Like 2

Well ideally I wouldn’t have had pears as number 1, I wouldn’t have gave him a contract and I would have at least asked the question if anyone would pick him up- sure Tony might have been persuaded, as it was we pissed off our best keeper and self inflicted our own demise 

there is usually a taker for a keeper , we have had some dog awful ones and they have always found a club 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's hard to get to grips with seeing as we've had a long line of good steady goalkeepers in general up until a decade ago. No surprises why that changed but i thought we'd struck lucky again finally with TK and he'd be here until his late 30's joining other legendary Rovers stoppers.

Sadly and i'm saying it again for the umpteenth time we are a development club now and this is as good as it'll get when they scour around for cheap wage players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Well ideally I wouldn’t have had pears as number 1, I wouldn’t have gave him a contract and I would have at least asked the question if anyone would pick him up- sure Tony might have been persuaded, as it was we pissed off our best keeper and self inflicted our own demise 

there is usually a taker for a keeper , we have had some dog awful ones and they have always found a club 

As soon as PL club comes in for a player he is likely to want to move there. No chance we had of keeping Kaminski after Luton interest in him.