BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 5/11/23

Wahlstedt is a tricky one, he LOOKS like the perfect keeper (big tall muscular yet athletic) and moves and throws himself just like keepers should, but then he still flaps at crosses or pushes shots back into the danger zone. I think both we and JDT/Broughton are praying that he can learn on the job at this stage. 

Bit of a sobering thought though, I watched the highlights from Luton-Liverpool, and Kaminski made several good (albeit not fantastic) saves only to hesitate at the cross that allowed Liverpool their equalizer. Maybe it's simply part of the game now, crosses come so flat, hard, and quick that keepers can't be expected to catch them like they used to 10-15 years back?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

We can all have any opinion we want, it's the taking as fact that Kaminski would have gained us more points that's the problem. We'll never know, however much people convince themselves. 

Obviously its just an opinion. We dont know the result of anything that didnt actually happen, I think had we signed Mbappe in January we would have likely got that extra point, but in reality I cant be sure.

In my opinion, Kaminski is a much better keeper than Pears, therefore we would have been a stronger team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Wahlstedt is a tricky one, he LOOKS like the perfect keeper (big tall muscular yet athletic) and moves and throws himself just like keepers should, but then he still flaps at crosses or pushes shots back into the danger zone. I think both we and JDT/Broughton are praying that he can learn on the job at this stage. 

Bit of a sobering thought though, I watched the highlights from Luton-Liverpool, and Kaminski made several good (albeit not fantastic) saves only to hesitate at the cross that allowed Liverpool their equalizer. Maybe it's simply part of the game now, crosses come so flat, hard, and quick that keepers can't be expected to catch them like they used to 10-15 years back?

Wahlstedt's job now is to get that big red cross off his back. He will be singled out as a weak link at the back, opposition managers deserve sacking if they don't promote crosses 8-10 yards from the goal line and tell their players to follow in shots. He needs a few games mistake free, to calm the pressure and build confidence, the acid test is whether he can.

It wouldn't be the first time opposing managers play to our goalkeeping weaknesses, teams started to drop the ball between and Pears and the centre halves quite often to watch the carnage unfold! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

We look so much better now than earlier in the season. We are much more pragmatic and less kamikaze than before - we seem to have a steel about us defensively that we didn't before. Hill has played a major part in this, but so has Tronstad sitting in front of the defence. Previously we had Wharton roaming a bit and Travis bombing in, whereas now we have someone sitting, allowing JRC to play box-to-box.

I thought Dolan was absolutely superb. 

Dolan was superb, I gave him man of the match on the voting. 

Some of the blocks and willingness to defend yesterday were brilliant, and much needed. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

I get the extra game bit, but I am saying I 'think' the suspension does not come into affect for 7 days till after the offence. Even if we failed an appeal the extra game suspension just gets added on top. It doesnt mean the they bring the suspension forward. So his suspension I 'think' will not start till the stoke game and beyond as its after 7 days. This is the rule in semi professional football, so I am guessing this is the same for professional. I may be wrong. 

What im trying to say:

Norwich - sunday, sent off

Preston - Friday - within 7 days of the norwich game so suspension has not started. So I think he can play.

Stoke - after the 7 days, his suspension begins. 

See below from the FA’s Essential Information For Players 2023-24 document (line after the table):

IMG_1361.jpeg

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

That’s like a golfer who can drive well but always three putts. Dealing with crosses is one of the basics of goalkeeping and Wahlstadt’s “weakness” on crosses makes him a liability at present 

I find it staggering that Kaminski apart we’ve had a succession of frankly rubbish goalkeepers who’ve cost us numerous points and victories in recent seasons and that we cannot find a steady, experienced goalkeeper in the lower divisions.

I’m not asking for brilliance here, just a solid old pro who knows what he’s doing and not yet another “work in progress” keeper who may or may not come good but in the meantime causes thousands of fans to be tearing their hair out at the glaring errors week after week

The main problem with getting an experienced keeper, is that JDT wants the keeper to be at ease playing the ball short with his feet. Not many experienced keepers are used to doing that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

JRC looking like he's facing a lengthy lay off with hamstring injury.

Fuck knows what the team will be on Friday.

It's not a case of whether to appeal Whartons red card, think they have no choice

Disappointing about JRC but not all that surprising. The lad has a history of decent injury lay offs. He's obviously a decent player and gets in pretty much everyone's starting 11 but this injury has just been a matter of time.

A. Wharton back into the team alongside Tronstad or Trav for the foreseeable at a guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

Kaminsky was available because he hadn't regained his spot from Pears despite clearly being the better goalkeeper. Why that is nobody really knows, but I suspect the decision to try and 'cash in' was made back in March / April.

Had he been number 1 when he came back last season he clearly wouldn't have been as 'available'.

We have history of turning bids down for players whether they want to leave or not. We could have turned the bid down and I suspect TK's attitude would have remained spot on.

The club (we are unsure exactly who) felt that the money received for Kaminsky less the moment paid for Leo was worth downgrading our goalkeeper for. But lets not pretend that we had no choice other than to let Kaminsky leave. 

Kaminski wanted PL football and Luton wanted him. Always going to go all summer.  Last season choice by JDT had zero impact on it. JDT made his choice and he stuck with it. 

If teams meet our asking price we sell. Examples like Armstrong, Cairney, Gestede, Rhodes, etc 

Edited by chaddyrovers

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski wanted PL football and Luton wanted him. Always going to go all summer.  Last season choice by JDT had zero impact on it. JDT made his choice and he stuck with it. 

You say these things with such certainty, you’ve no idea if that’s true.

Good team performance

Hill was excellent and has been the games I have watched

Dolan I have been critical of but looked back to his best and Tronstad does all the unseen bits every good team needs

A couple of January signings and we will be there or thereabouts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was always going to go all summer only because he was no longer number one.

You have no idea whether he would have wanted to go had he played the end of last season. You also have no idea how much we 'encouraged' bids for him.

His 'exit' was planned by Greggy boy. I had hoped our much-vaunted European Scouting Network had found a suitable replacement on the cheap but it seems not to be.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hasta said:

You have no idea whether he would have wanted to go had he played the end of last season. You also have no idea how much we 'encouraged' bids for him.

His 'exit' was planned by Greggy boy. I had hoped our much-vaunted European Scouting Network had found a suitable replacement on the cheap but it seems not to be.

Why wouldn't Kaminski want to go and play Premier League football even if it just for a season or 2? Why would any player turn the chance as it might be his only chance of playing PL in his career at his age. 

We need the Gregg Broughton has plans in place for any player who leaves Rovers like we saw that Wahlstedt was our first choice and we moved for him. 

On Wahlstedt not being a suitable replacement, I don't get why some fans want to over analysis or over judgement him on every single he is doing. He has come to new country, new level of football and different way of playing compare to his previous league experience. Why can't people be patient and let him learn and develop here for a few months then judge from there? 

36 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Absolutely, don’t understand why you aren’t grasping this point chaddy.

yes once kaminski hadn’t regained number 1 and there was then interest from Luton he wanted to go, which was fair enough.

had he came back in as number 1 , would he still have wanted to go, would Luton be prepared to pay for our number 1

we can’t say. 
but it certainly isn’t as easy as Luton wanted him, he wanted away

on Wharton, I still think it’s a red, I try and be non biased on rovers and had it been the other way then I wouldn’t have certainly been calling for a red. At best he takes man and ball at same time , from behind. Can’t do that 

on a cheap experienced cover, wonder if Man Utd would be prepared to give us Heaton in January for a final hurrah. Always rated him 

Pleased to see TK performing well for Luton; he's clearly got a busy season ahead of him, in the weakest side in the division.

He'll stay in the Prem once Luton go down, hopefully at a team in the upper section of midtable.

Good luck to him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Absolutely, don’t understand why you aren’t grasping this point chaddy.

yes once kaminski hadn’t regained number 1 and there was then interest from Luton he wanted to go, which was fair enough.

had he came back in as number 1 , would he still have wanted to go, would Luton be prepared to pay for our number 1

we can’t say. 
but it certainly isn’t as easy as Luton wanted him, he wanted away

on Wharton, I still think it’s a red, I try and be non biased on rovers and had it been the other way then I wouldn’t have certainly been calling for a red. At best he takes man and ball at same time , from behind. Can’t do that 

on a cheap experienced cover, wonder if Man Utd would be prepared to give us Heaton in January for a final hurrah. Always rated him 

With the sudden wage budget reduction and the fact that after Ayala and Dack had left, TM was our highest paid player, we can comfortably say he was going no matter what after June.

It's debatable if things hadn't been cut would he have stayed? 

5 minutes ago, phili said:

With the sudden wage budget reduction and the fact that after Ayala and Dack had left, TM was our highest paid player, we can comfortably say he was going no matter what after June.

It's debatable if things hadn't been cut would he have stayed? 

TM ?

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’d say there’s no chance it’s overturned.

I’d say there’s every chance we miss the appeal deadline.

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’d say there’s no chance it’s overturned.

I’d say there’s every chance we miss the appeal deadline.

I'd say it's a case of needs must. 

• Like 1