BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 5/11/23

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Commentators not mentioning his name much is kind of the point, you won’t hear it as he wins it, moves it quickly.

Footballers like that often go under the radar, but I bet if you asked the players/JDT they’d make clear how much he’s pivotal to the side.. 

They'd all probably say that about each other.

Anyway, it's just my opinion on Tronsadt, being the no-nowt punter that I am.

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I thought it passed him by to a degree, as it has in previous games IMO. I can't recall more than a handful of occasions when his name was mentioned.

I only saw it on the tele though; perhaps in the flesh there was more to him.

Don't get me wrong, I thiink he's decent. But 'excellent'? Not for me.

He covers a lot of ground. Blocks, tackles, wins possession back in various areas of the pitch. Seldom loses the ball and is diciplined. Not one to hit the killer pass but passes forward a lot of the time.

Both him and A. Wharton did a good job in the first press today.

• Like 4

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Remember the Duffy yellow card ?
Took the ball clear as day then cleaned out Dolan…free kick & yellow. 

Taking the ball doesn’t mean “no consequences” in modern game. 🤷‍♂️

Hmmm... considering the Norwich player basically fell over Wharton's trailing leg it still seems harsh, as otherwise the tackle is impossible to make. If it's the rules then so be it, but a bit of nuance wouldn't go amiss in these situations. 

47 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was really worth the ridiculously early start today primarily to see a win but a lot of my satisfaction came from the performance. Firstly Tomasson got his tactics spot on as the movement of Dolan and Szmodics killed Norwich but the early delivery of the ball forwards was something they couldn't handle. We were better all over the pitch and but for the sending off (horribly wrong in my view) I'm confident we would have won by more but that incident forced us to put in a great defensive display despite the personnel and players out of position. Hill was the standout player for me but Tronstad wasn't far behind him with his diligence and intelligence. I feel guilty mentioning those two and not others because today was really about the collective and the effort and commitment from everyone in blue and white.

Well done Rovers and let’s hope we can carry this performance into the rest of the season.

Would you be appealing the red card if you were JDT ?

22 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Remember the Duffy yellow card ?
Took the ball clear as day then cleaned out Dolan…free kick & yellow. 

Taking the ball doesn’t mean “no consequences” in modern game. 🤷‍♂️

Those two challenges aren't remotely comparable. 

Duffy 'did' Dolan cos he'd given him the run-around in the first half. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DE. said:

I did hear a couple of Norwich fans around us say that Wagner is a symptom rather than the root cause of the problem. With that said, majority opinion is clearly that he needs to go, as the 'sacked in the morning' chants began after the first goal - and I believe they were started by the Norwich fans rather than ours. 

Yes I would agree there. Their sporting director Webber is leaving and new Sporting Director coming in plus owner problem with Mark Attanasio looking to buy more shares in the club

14 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I thought it passed him by to a degree, as it has in previous games IMO. I can't recall more than a handful of occasions when his name was mentioned.

I only saw it on the tele though; perhaps in the flesh there was more to him.

Don't get me wrong, I thiink he's decent. But 'excellent'? Not for me.

I think that alot of work done by Tronstad goes unnoticed by people. He protects the back 4, keep the ball movement and play simple passes. That's his job. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Would you be appealing the red card if you were JDT ?

deffo

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hmmm... considering the Norwich player basically fell over Wharton's trailing leg it still seems harsh, as otherwise the tackle is impossible to make. If it's the rules then so be it, but a bit of nuance wouldn't go amiss in these situations. 

This is the relevant rule (part of law 12):

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

• a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Get that kaminski was sold for money but it wasn’t mega bucks and then spent about 1/3 of it on Leo.

I would have sold pears and Leo kaminski with Hilton as back up.

for those saying it’s because he wanted out, that was only because he bafflingly lost his place to pears , can’t persuade me that it didn’t cost us the playoffs 

Kaminski had a move to the Premier League because he is a very good keeper at this level, contrary to those who seemed to prefer Pears. He would have pushed for that move regardless. 

We should never have started a season with Hilton as number 2. But with a small fraction of the proceeds for Kaminski, we seem to have spent it on a dud.

7 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Get that kaminski was sold for money but it wasn’t mega bucks and then spent about 1/3 of it on Leo.

for those saying it’s because he wanted out, that was only because he bafflingly lost his place to pears , can’t persuade me that it didn’t cost us the playoffs 

Who wanted Pears at that time ? You can only sell if you have a buyer.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

sold Pears to who? Given he signed a new long term contract here in the summer. 

Kaminski wanted the Luton move all summer. 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski had a move to the Premier League because he is a very good keeper at this level, contrary to those who seemed to prefer Pears. He would have pushed for that move regardless. 

We should never have started a season with Hilton as number 2. But with a small fraction of the proceeds for Kaminski, we seem to have spent it on a dud.

Leo is certainly not the finished article yet, he’s an infant in terms of the age of a goalkeeper but it’s still concerning the way he seemingly flaps at everything. What I will say is in Raya’s early days he was a bit of a flapper as well, but he matured and developed at Brentford and is now number one at Arsenal. 

I’m not saying Leo will have the same career path but it’s still very early days for the lad and hopefully with every game he plays the better he gets. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

This is the relevant rule (part of law 12):

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

• a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Mm, I’d say that tackle fitted into the “ reckless “ category. When I was clearing dinosaur shit off the pitch before we could play that would have been a perfectly good tackle and “ play on “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, I’d say that tackle fitted into the “ reckless “ category. When I was clearing dinosaur shit off the pitch before we could play that would have been a perfectly good tackle and “ play on “.

If you got the ball, it didn’t matter if you got the man as well…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whether anyone on here preferred Pears is irrelevant, Tomasson preferred him. I know it doesn't sit well with quite a few, but that's his it was. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought we played really well today, thought Szmodics and the much maligned Dolan were excellent.

The momentum of the game obviously turned on the sending off, I thought it was a marginal one, whilst it appeared as though Scott just about got to the ball first I'd have been wanting a red if it was the other way round. Really at 3-0 up he didn't really need to go to ground and give the referee a decision to make.

Wahlstedt- Christ an absolute liability, he makes Pears look like Gordon Banks. How do we manage to find all these useless keepers like Walton, Pears and Wahlstedt? As jim says there must be solid options throughout the League who do what it says on the tin. Why can't we find one?

Have to agree with Wheelton Blue on Tronstadt, like him I felt today's game completely passed the player by. I didn't even realise he was playing until the camera panned in on him in close up second. That's fine for the referee, not a player.

Also have to agree with bazza that jdt is doing a lot better than expected given (imo) he's having to contend with the owners recent financial issues, a CEO who seems to be on a mission to empty the stadium and who doesn't particularly want us to succeed as it will upset the comfy (for him) status quo and an overpromoted Academy head as DOF who has overseen some dire recruitment since his arrival (and the case of January non recruitment)

I still can't see us doing anything this season but it looks like we might well survive which I thought would be a very tall order given the striking options or lack thereof.

The question will be , whilst muddling along in lower mid table in no imminent danger of going up or down might be Waggott's wet dream, will it be enough to keep JDT interested in the medium term?

Well done to JDT and the players today. A very entertaining watch.

JDT won't stay beyond his contract. Waggott and our useless owners have seen to that over the summer. 

Another club comes in higher up the food chain and he's a gonner. Otherwise, he's here next season and walks free at the end of his contract.

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

Whether anyone on here preferred Pears is irrelevant, Tomasson preferred him. 

Well equally all of our opinions are irrelevant.

He preferred him when Pears was in the team, presumably he felt that it wpuld upset the applecart. He made the wrong decision then. Pre season selections suggest Kaminski would have reverted to number 1. Unfortunately he was sold and we are left with 2 liabilities.