BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

7 minutes ago, white boy said:

I would have to agree with you on this one it does look like we have not sold all our allocation and if we do manage it today then it will be today and meaning that the vast majority bar one or two have had enough time to purchase a ticket.  I would believe that more fans would require more security types both police and stewards as well as catering staff.

For me, (and I don’t say this lightly) the club has been pretty sensible with the allocation, as for a night game on Sky at £30 it’s difficult to gauge how many they’ll fetch. Especially as they only brought c4k for a dinner time match and so didn’t actually require the upper tier to be opened last season.

Give them the bottom tier first, if they sell out that give them more, all fair enough.

11 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

In any correspondence with my old schoolmate now in New Zealand who follows That Lot from Burnley, I always use the phrase "Lancashire's Most Historic Football Club" on the grounds that we've won, among other Trophies, The Football League; the Premier League; the F.A. Cup; and the Football League Cup.

It's the breadth of our successes that make us Lancashire's Most Historic Football Club.

(To spare his blushes, I never refer to the Full Members' Cup. That's because we won it the season before That Lot came within 5 minutes of dropping out of the Football League altogether!)

it does appear that way....lol,,, although without all the the other clubs you wouldn't have been able to beat anybody!

The English football pyramid the best and most interesting in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

For me, (and I don’t say this lightly) the club has been pretty sensible with the allocation, as for a night game on Sky at £30 it’s difficult to gauge how many they’ll fetch. Especially as they only brought c4k for a dinner time match and so didn’t actually require the upper tier to be opened last season.

Give them the bottom tier first, if they sell out that give them more, all fair enough.

I would say so i think its all been done in a fair and business like manner allowing all that want to travel to travel.  As you said last game just after the world cup i think was a smaller than what i would have expected following from Preston, not sure why but it was.

16 minutes ago, white boy said:

i think that's a fairly common thought process amongst all fans playing in a local derby and the derby is local even if both clubs have bigger local rivalries  going on against other more important enemies.

If i make ask you what you get excited about that would help me to understand your thought process..

Think the definition of a derby requires a rivalry, not just proximity. I don’t think about Preston from one game to the next. No different to playing Ipswich in my eyes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Think the definition of a derby requires a rivalry, not just proximity. I don’t think about Preston from one game to the next. No different to playing Ipswich in my eyes.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but most fans as i have already stated agree both teams have bigger rivalries but i would suggest your probably in the minority and that clearly even by reading this forum there is clear evidence that a number of your supporters see this as a rivalry and a game they would like to win.  Although i would agree that most supporters want to to win every  game and it doesn't matter where the team is from!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

JRC’s long term absence is a huge blow - it can’t be overstated enough. He’s been outstanding over the past year or so. If it’s within the loan rules Buckley needs to be recalled from Sheffield Wednesday; the already thin squad is getting close to breaking point 

I think bringing Buckley back makes sense. But also probably midfield is our best covered position - Travis and Garrett ready to come in - so it doesn't necessarily solve the biggest problem.

The big issue will more be right/left back as JRC could cover right back and allow Brittain to move to left back as needed if Pickering was not available. With him now gone we are basically down to Brittain and Pickering staying fit and available through to January. I guess Buckley has played right back, but he lacks the athleticism and positional discipline needed to make a proper go at it imo. And for whatever reason Batty does not seem favoured, not even getting anywhere near the bench.

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think bringing Buckley back makes sense. But also probably midfield is our best covered position - Travis and Garrett ready to come in - so it doesn't necessarily solve the biggest problem.

The big issue will more be right/left back as JRC could cover right back and allow Brittain to move to left back as needed if Pickering was not available. With him now gone we are basically down to Brittain and Pickering staying fit and available through to January. I guess Buckley has played right back, but he lacks the athleticism and positional discipline needed to make a proper go at it imo. And for whatever reason Batty does not seem favoured, not even getting anywhere near the bench.

Hill can always move back to right back once Carter and Hyam are back, but Hyams injury seems to have been kept very quiet.

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Buckley is a skilful player like Rankin-Costello so I'd slot him into midfield in his place; we will miss JRC's creativity badly. Travis could then provide cover at right back. A combination of Travis and Garrett in midfield would not suit our passing game - that's not what they're good at. None of this ideal. The squad looked thin going into the season and it is well and truly exposed now. Injuries to any of Szmodics, Dolan and A Wharton now is unthinkable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

JRC’s long term absence is a huge blow - it can’t be overstated enough. He’s been outstanding over the past year or so. If it’s within the loan rules Buckley needs to be recalled from Sheffield Wednesday; the already thin squad is getting close to breaking point 

Agreed. I think we'll miss his hyper-competitive attitude in the middle of the park as much as his technical ability.

That's not something we can replace easily with a simple change of personnel.

Ditto Sammie Szmods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M_B said:

He looks a class above, and importantly he looks fit. The pass for Szmodics's first goal looked simple but was the perfect pace on the ball. The volleyed pass for his second belonged at a higher level. 

He'll definitely unlock doors, the physicality might prove a problem and will no doubt be tested on Friday. Got a feeling it might be one of those where they take it in turns to foul him. 

Apologies mate, misread your first post as you wouldn't have Moran in the team. Over tired!

3 hours ago, neophox said:

With JRC out for 12 weeks Im sure we will see a recall for John Buckley 1st of january for sure.

I'd be surprised unless they can do some shuffling on the finances or unless Sheffield Wednesday want to send him back.

I remain convinced that the decision to send Buckley out was as much if not more financially motivated than anything else and was a prerequisite to us signing Hill and Telalovic on deadline day. So unless someone is leaving in January or some extra cash gets released from somewhere I can't see it. They'd rather Sheff Wed covered his wage from January to June.

JRC news is very disappointing but in no way surprising. This is why having depth is essential and why I warned in the summer that it would be foolish to make plans around him being available for more than half the season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd be surprised unless they can do some shuffling on the finances or unless Sheffield Wednesday want to send him back.

I remain convinced that the decision to send Buckley out was as much if not more financially motivated than anything else and was a prerequisite to us signing Hill and Telalovic on deadline day. So unless someone is leaving in January or some extra cash gets released from somewhere I can't see it. They'd rather Sheff Wed covered his wage from January to June.

JRC news is very disappointing but in no way surprising. This is why having depth is essential and why I warned in the summer that it would be foolish to make plans around him being available for more than half the season.

Yes his past history suggested he’d miss games if pushed a bit too hard.

2 hours ago, white boy said:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but most fans as i have already stated agree both teams have bigger rivalries but i would suggest your probably in the minority and that clearly even by reading this forum there is clear evidence that a number of your supporters see this as a rivalry and a game they would like to win.  Although i would agree that most supporters want to to win every  game and it doesn't matter where the team is from!

Yes - obviously just want to see us win every game in an ideal world.

I'll illustrate my point - I think I know the outcome of every dingle game, key incidents, background etc since 2000/01.

Whereas all the games against Preston (Jansen and 2017 relegation season aside) blur into all the other games we've had in that time. Maybe I'm from the wrong part of Lancashire (I don't know any Preston fans personally), it just doesn't mean any more than any other Championship fixture to me.  As you say, I could be in the minority.

9 minutes ago, superniko said:

If PNE get the upper tier can we ask their fans to rip out some of our seats so we can reorder the RoVeRs lettering to be centralised and aligned, and not look like it was done by primary school kids? 

They'll be moved anyway as we didn't do it properly, it's just basically white bin bags over the seats!

Agree that hopefully they'll put them back properly centralised - if anyone can be arsed!

Bit worried about our attendance, never mind the away fans. 

I really think we need to make the Riverside seats £5 cheaper for these games, but that will never happen whilst our priority is to fill the JW for the 'TV view'.

£30 min is steep for a Sky game. 

I know we'll sell a thousand over next 36 hours, so will make a good atmosphere, but every shout counts...

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 1

We don't have a great record in recent years when playing on a Friday...

• 7 April 2023: Lost - Rovers 0:2 Norwich
  • 10 March 2023: Lost - Stoke 3:2 Rovers
  • 15 April 2022: Lost - Peterborough 2:1 Rovers
  • 2 April 2021: Lost - Wycombe 1:0 Rovers
  • 12 March 2021: Lost - Rovers 0:1 Brentford
  • 12 February 2021: Lost - Rovers 1:2 Preston

To put a positive spin on it, we're definitely due a win on a Friday! 

3 hours ago, white boy said:

The Burnley games are on a different level, as I'm sure are the Blackpool games for PNE.

There is more rivalry to this fixture than if we were playing Wigan or Blackpool, mainly due to the proximity between the two clubs and the fact you tend to work / encounter PNE fans more than other local clubs. Same applies with Bolton. The PNE game I see as an enjoyable derby.  You can go across, spend a full day in Preston, mingle and chat with their fans in most of the town centre pubs (as long as you are not being a dick head), and then enjoy the game. It's more enjoyable than Bolton as the Breezeblock is badly situated for a 'day out'. 

Whenever I look on the Preston Forum though, I do think that this fixture means more to you than to us.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Bit worried about our attendance, never mind the away fans. 

I really think we need to make the Riverside seats £5 cheaper for these games, but that will never happen whilst our priority is to fill the JW for the 'TV view'.

£30 min is steep for a Sky game. 

I know we'll sell a thousand over next 36 hours, so will make a good atmosphere, but every shout counts...

£30-£35 for these games is purely to cash in on 5k+ away fans, the fact more enticing pricing could attract a few more Rovers fans wouldn’t even cross their minds for a second.

Plus, the BEnd and JW lower tiers will look fairly well populated on the night (unlike the sparse, but hidden from view Riverside), so good job done all round from Swag’s perspective.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

They'll be moved anyway as we didn't do it properly, it's just basically white bin bags over the seats!

Agree that hopefully they'll put them back properly centralised - if anyone can be arsed!

They won't be moved. If they make the sign central a number of the letters would coincide with the stairs and it will look worse than it is.

• Like 2

On 08/11/2023 at 11:23, Exiled_Rover said:

We would be if you replaced Szmodics with the immobile Dack.

Why Szmodics rarely tracks back beyond the centre circle? I like him staying forward as it allows to spring far quicker from defence into attack but on the rare occasions he does track back  he can be liability, prime example first goal conceded against Rotherham.

Dack used to come into defensive positions looking for the ball, it was a major problem when defenders were looking for an outlet ball. Granted his immobility then prevented him getting quickly upfield so was one of the contributing factors of our slow forward play in the past.

• Like 1