BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

TBF to the ref on this one, I think most of us probably thought it was a red in real time, it was only after seeing the replays that you could see Scott clearly gets the ball. He only had one look at it & had to make a call. Not very often I'll defend a referee!

Thankfully, it didn't affect the result on Sunday (maybe only our GD) & common sense has prevailed meaning SW is available for Friday.

Oh, & Swag will be happy, he gets his £500 deposit back! 😄

• Like 7

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Letting go of Ayala was the right choice imo given his injury record, and I dont think we could have done much about Phillips.

The issue imo was not signing another CB. We tried with Baath (think the plan was to sign him and Hill) but then when the financial situation changed we gave up. We should have found someone.

Yeah some people were saying 4 centre halves is enough. It never is.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

When are you back on the Riverside Barry? We’re missing you

I don't know, Dave. I'm missing you blokes too. It won't be versus PNE unfortunately. 

Circumstances beyond my control.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Although it's difficult to predict the outcome of appeals I really felt confident about the red card being rescinded. Thankfully the ex players on the appeal panel understood that Scott won the ball and the contact with the Norwich player after that was a consequence of the tackle.

Interesting, I was pessimistic because of the law about appeals having to show the ref made an 'obvious mistake'. Whilst it's obvious after you see the right replay, I wouldn't say it was obvious in the moment. You might have the right angle, you might not. I watched extended highlights today and the commentator was saying Wharton couldn't have any complaints there, until he saw the second replay I believe it was.

For that reason, and the league generally sticking by their refs, I expected the appeal to be denied. Certainly the right decision has been reached though, for a change. Thankfully it didn't cost us any points.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If we want to extrapolate over a longer period, the last time you won a major trophy was 1938. For Blackpool it was 1953, Bolton 1958, Burnley 1960, Wigan 2013.  I've lost count of the major trophies we've won since 1938. 

I didn't take you for a man who can't count to two 🤣

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting, I was pessimistic because of the law about appeals having to show the ref made an 'obvious mistake'. Whilst it's obvious after you see the right replay, I wouldn't say it was obvious in the moment. You might have the right angle, you might not. I watched extended highlights today and the commentator was saying Wharton couldn't have any complaints there, until he saw the second replay I believe it was.

For that reason, and the league generally sticking by their refs, I expected the appeal to be denied. Certainly the right decision has been reached though, for a change. Thankfully it didn't cost us any points.

I saw it in real time and wasn't in any doubt that Scotts first contact was on the ball. I was directly behind the linesman who had the same view but didn't seem to inform the referee. I don't blame the referee by the way. From his position I don't think he could see Scott getting the ball.

Anyhow all's well that ends well I suppose.

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I saw it in real time and wasn't in any doubt that Scotts first contact was on the ball. I was directly behind the linesman who had the same view but didn't seem to inform the referee. I don't blame the referee by the way. From his position I don't think he could see Scott getting the ball.

Anyhow all's well that ends well I suppose.

That's the thing, if the ref has an unhelpful view, does it count as an obvious mistake by him? I thought the interpretation of the laws would deem it wasn't. Happy days though, would have been a big problem to go into the PNE game with one centre half (especially with JRC probably unavailable). The international break will be very welcome for a change.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

That's the thing, if the ref has an unhelpful view, does it count as an obvious mistake by him? I thought the interpretation of the laws would deem it wasn't. Happy days though, would have been a big problem to go into the PNE game with one centre half (especially with JRC probably unavailable). The international break will be very welcome for a change.

In truth Bruce I've never seen the words obvious mistake in the grounds for appeal. My understanding was that the appellant had to believe it was an error of judgement or wrong in law. I noticed today that Barry Bannon also had his red card rescinded. He too was sent off for DOGSO which I thought was incorrect.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In truth Bruce I've never seen the words obvious mistake in the grounds for appeal. My understanding was that the appellant had to believe it was an error of judgement or wrong in law. I noticed today that Barry Bannon also had his red card rescinded. He too was sent off for DOGSO which I thought was incorrect.

Saw the term used in the LT article about it. Of course, it would be no surprise if they got their facts wrong.

7 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I love this modern day lingo. At the end of the day it boils down to the fact we are playing with two players up front.

Yeah... we really have been effectively playing with a front two for a while now. Szmodics is great as a striker it too. Much much more mobile than Dack was, runs the channels, press relentlessly, has decent pace, and as evidenced by his stats sniffs out and converts chances. I think he will continue to improve over the season. Dolan's doing very well also so nothing will change short term, but I would like to see Szmodics have a go at partnering Ennis at some point as I think in terms of contrasting styles they would be well suited as a two.

• Like 1

We’re stretched really thin, but 4 wins out of 5, I’m encouraged. Tomasson is doing well with the boys & pieces he’s been given. 

Sammie is a great addition to the squad. I liked it when we got him, & it didn’t take long to establish himself as a goal scorer, and a fan favorite. I still feel Sig’s will be a solid goal scorer for Rovers. COYB! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s because we’ve all seen lesser tackles than that go for a red card. You lose faith in the end.

As Arbitro pointed out on the match day thread, a lot of the refs have a huge ego and that was my biggest concern.

I don’t know whether he held his hand up or not to help to get this overturned, but thankfully it was and it makes the defence a good deal stronger on Friday. 

5 hours ago, WacoRover said:

We’re stretched really thin, but 4 wins out of 5, I’m encouraged. Tomasson is doing well with the boys & pieces he’s been given. 

Sammie is a great addition to the squad. I liked it when we got him, & it didn’t take long to establish himself as a goal scorer, and a fan favorite. I still feel Sig’s will be a solid goal scorer for Rovers. COYB! 

Sammie scored on his debut, but it did take a while to establish himself as a goalscorer and fan favourite, probably some 6 or 7 months.

I have a feeling based only on what we've seen so far that Siggy might turn into a bit of a Championship level Antonsson for us. An appreciable goal return from wide (maybe a bit better than Antonsson's) but not much else. Course, it's still early for him and he could easily turn out to be better or worse (I'd be surprised if it's the latter though, since he already has 4 in all comps where Antonsson got 8).

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's based on the last 40 years or so. If by 'interesting' you mean accurate then I agree. You've achieved very little in that time but at least these day you're no longer having to apply for re-election😉

If we want to extrapolate over a longer period, the last time you won a major trophy was 1938. For Blackpool it was 1953, Bolton 1958, Burnley 1960, Wigan 2013.  I've lost count of the major trophies we've won since 1938. 

Whichever way to want to cut it, the Nobbers are the runt of the Lancashire litter.

I'd have Wigan above PNE. Won the FA Cup in 2013 and Prem regulars for a time. What have Preston done in the modern era?

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 2