BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I dislike Bolton because of the amount of times they kicked the shit out of us on Manchester road.

Used to hate going to Burnden Park - horrible experience.

Also remember either either 1973 or 1974 when the Bolton mob en masse arrived early on the train in Blackburn town centre.  It was carnage and men against boys as Rovers' fans caught up in it took a real pasting.

• Like 2

Don't understand why Burden Park never got a reputation like, say Millwall and the Den.

For the record, I got beaten up  at a Saturday night game there, early 60's when random violence wasn't that common. I was a scrawny kid, the bloke was about mid-20's and a real low life. Definitely the worst ground I've ever been on.

14 hours ago, white boy said:

it does appear that way....lol,,, although without all the the other clubs you wouldn't have been able to beat anybody!

The English football pyramid the best and most interesting in the world.

Erm, well, yeah; it would rather defeat the raison d'etre of most team sports.

Excuse me asking; but what would be the sense of playing most team games without opponents? Isn't that what I'm sure more than a few of us on here might think of as "Claret logic"?!

Can't go to this with it being rearranged for a Friday night as I'm DJing as usual. Thankfully the game will be on in the pub so will get to see it.

My daughter's taking a mate of hers with my ST so at least the seat won't be empty. Come on lads don't let me down! There'll be a few Nobbers coming back in after the game & I want to greet them with a smug grin on my face!

2-1 Szmodics & Hill.

• Like 2

Carrying on the theme of rivalries, I've often - sorry! - mentioned that I grew up in Blackpool the proud Blackburnian son of two exiles from the town.

My Dad couldn't get work in Blackburn in the 1930s; but his Mum apparently had a share in a Boarding House in Blackpool so he worked there. And the rules back in those days were that women teachers - and Civil Servants?? - had to resign when they got married. However, they, especially my Dad, made sure I had blue-and-white blood in my veins.

I find this thread a bit amusing for the way that those of us who grew up in "the old Lancashire" - including Merseyside and Greater Manchester - ignored most of the teams based there when it came to looking at rivalries. We never played Oldham Pathetic (as they were known to us) or Rochdull, as the locals seem to pronounce it, so they were never thought of as rivals.

Those rivalries often took subtle forms; for example, I remember that in 1953, once Blackpool had won their F.A. Cup semi-final, it didn't take long for the ⅓ pint of milk we had, Mondays-Fridays at junior school, came in bottles which had tangerine tops, rather than silvery ones.

So in those early days, my main rivals were Blackpool, even though it wasn't till I went to grammar school at the start of the 1957-58 season that we joined them - as well as Bolton, PNE and some other Lancashire team - in "the old Division 1".

That was the school where I made my first acquaintance with lads whose first loyalties were to Bolton, PNE and Burnleh; often because their Dads had come from those towns to the Fylde Coast in search of work. And it was some considerable time later that I discovered there had been another Rovers' fan - subsequently a member of this Board, no less! - at that school.

Right, enough of these rambling reminiscences; tonight's game will be a home win - clinched by the odd goal of three and preferably scored in the 74th minute! 

Edited by R0verb0y
Sorry, @jim Mk2; I forgot this is supposed to be a Message Board; not Nostalgia Gulch!
  • Like 6

Growing up in Wigan has made me detest Man U. I learned to hate Burnley over the years but Man U will always be the team I hate the most. It’s in my blood. My family are all Liverpool fans and when I said I’d fell in love with the rovers the only reply I ever got was along as it’s not that lot (referring to Man U)

I always look out for the local results including “ the old Lancashire” as it’s now unfondly put. I want to beat them all more than other random teams but when we are not involved I’d rather they all did well. Blackpool , Wigan, Oldham,Bolton,  bury, Preston . Aslong as it’s not united or Burnley but tonight I will want to win that little bit more to make sure we keep our crown as  the best town team in the land . Maybe that’s why I don’t mind the other Lancashire teams because I know they will never eclipse us no matter how hard they try

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Growing up in Wigan has made me detest Man U. I learned to hate Burnley over the years but Man U will always be the team I hate the most. It’s in my blood. My family are all Liverpool fans and when I said I’d fell in love with the rovers the only reply I ever got was along as it’s not that lot (referring to Man U)

I always look out for the local results including “ the old Lancashire” as it’s now unfondly put. I want to beat them all more than other random teams but when we are not involved I’d rather they all did well. Blackpool , Wigan, Oldham,Bolton,  bury, Preston . Aslong as it’s not united or Burnley but tonight I will want to win that little bit more to make sure we keep our crown as  the best town team in the land . Maybe that’s why I don’t mind the other Lancashire teams because I know they will never eclipse us no matter how hard they try

I grew up in Oldham and I never understood why the Latics fans hated Rovers so much.

I went to one of the games in the LDV Vans Trophy because it was free with a voucher from the local paper, and they were all singing about us.  Very confusing as I never once heard Oldham mentioned in Blackburn.

• Like 1

As someone from the slightly newer generation (*) who only really remembers from the League Cup victory onwards, my hierarchy of dislike was always Burnley, then Man United, then Bolton. I'm nowhere near as frequent an attendee as I was as a kid these days, but the reasons perhaps Preston never really land on my radar is that for just over a decade we never played them (unless I've missed some odd Cup tie somewhere). Ditto Blackpool, Wigan in similar regards.

Funnily enough mind, my very first Rovers memory is from the 00-01 season when we went 3-0 at home to PNE in about 20 mins.

(*) - at Watford away this season I clocked from their programme notes on us that I am indeed older than every current Rovers player . That was an eye opener!

31 minutes ago, New Jeru said:

I grew up in Oldham and I never understood why the Latics fans hated Rovers so much.

I went to one of the games in the LDV Vans Trophy because it was free with a voucher from the local paper, and they were all singing about us.  Very confusing as I never once heard Oldham mentioned in Blackburn.

Perhaps because in the 80s and early 90s Rovers/Oldham was often the only local-ish derby (along with City) as the likes of Bolton/Burnley/PNE/Blackpool were languishing in the third and fourth divisions.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, New Jeru said:

There was definitely a bit of a rivalry across the 80's when we were the only localish clubs to play each other regularly. I'v'e seen Oldham fans comment on it a few times on various social media.

Probably a bit like there was a bit of on and off pitch stuff developed with Wigan in the Prem years although majority of Rovers fans just probably viewed both as a pain in the arse.  Seeing as results on those grounds have been a bit scarce in those periods.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, New Jeru said:

The last away game I took my Dad to was a defeat at Oldham in the 80s.

I remember his exact words "we were shit but what a fecking dump"

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Same with me living in Rochdale. Beating the red rats was always number one on my list.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Erm, well, yeah; it would rather defeat the raison d'etre of most team sports.

Excuse me asking; but what would be the sense of playing most team games without opponents? Isn't that what I'm sure more than a few of us on here might think of as "Claret logic"?!

I think you may be confused what i was looking to suggest in maybe a poor manner was that it TAKES two to tango, ie you may well have won more and more important trophies but without others you would win nothing.  So to make it more simple what i am saying is that its all about the competition itself.

Also could i suggest that history is a matter of opinion for example if i were a dingle i could look back and suggest that Burnley over the last decade have been the most successful team in Lancashire.  I suppose it depends on what agenda to push.

My agenda is  i am an old preston boy who supports his home town team and any glory or lack of it does not stop me attending home and away to support my team.    It doesn't matter to me if we are in non league i will still be going........

Edited by white boy

7 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Carrying on the theme of rivalries, I've often - sorry! - mentioned that I grew up in Blackpool the proud Blackburnian son of two exiles from the town.

My Dad couldn't get work in Blackburn in the 1930s; but his Mum apparently had a share in a Boarding House in Blackpool so he worked there. And the rules back in those days were that women teachers - and Civil Servants?? - had to resign when they got married. However, they, especially my Dad, made sure I had blue-and-white blood in my veins.

I find this thread a bit amusing for the way that those of us who grew up in "the old Lancashire" - including Merseyside and Greater Manchester - ignored most of the teams based there when it came to looking at rivalries. We never played Oldham Pathetic (as they were known to us) or Rochdull, as the locals seem to pronounce it, so they were never thought of as rivals.

Those rivalries often took subtle forms; for example, I remember that in 1953, once Blackpool had won their F.A. Cup semi-final, it didn't take long for the ⅓ pint of milk we had, Mondays-Fridays at junior school, came in bottles which had tangerine tops, rather than silvery ones.

So in those early days, my main rivals were Blackpool, even though it wasn't till I went to grammar school at the start of the 1957-58 season that we joined them - as well as Bolton, PNE and some other Lancashire team - in "the old Division 1".

That was the school where I made my first acquaintance with lads whose first loyalties were to Bolton, PNE and Burnleh; often because their Dads had come from those towns to the Fylde Coast in search of work. And it was some considerable time later that I discovered there had been another Rovers' fan - subsequently a member of this Board, no less! - at that school.

Right, enough of these rambling reminiscences; tonight's game will be a home win - clinched by the odd goal of three and preferably scored in the 74th minute! 

Oldham have a real hatred for us because of the 80’s and Burnley, Bolton, Preston and Blackpool being in Divison 4. Used to see some real trouble when going over there. Plus it was always cold. Even in August! 😂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I am glad i have found a fellow supporters with the same opinion, as a life long Preston fan i can put my hand on my heart and say that i enjoyed the Jack Walker time and was happy for Rovers to win the Prem.  I can also say that i enjoyed Burnley fight in the prem under Dyche......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

Such a well thought out retort your humour is top class scruff.

I wouldn't say so i think by reading your comments most can see that trying to attempt to have a proper conversation with you and your type would be pointless.

But as its matchday im going to try,  If you could if you will take the time to explain both of your comments to me that would be great and make me perhaps be able to understand your mindset.

At the moment i believe your a child but perhaps there is another reason your manner is as it is.

Edited by white boy

12 minutes ago, white boy said:

I am glad i have found a fellow supporters with the same opinion, as a life long Preston fan i can put my hand on my heart and say that i enjoyed the Jack Walker time and was happy for Rovers to win the Prem.  I can also say that i enjoyed Burnley fight in the prem under Dyche......

You were doing so well until your last sentence 😂

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, white boy said:

I think you may be confused what i was looking to suggest in maybe a poor manner was that it TAKES two to tango, ie you may well have won more and more important trophies but without others you would win nothing.  So to make it more simple what i am saying is that its all about the competition itself.

Also could i suggest that history is a matter of opinion for example if i were a dingle i could look back and suggest that Burnley over the last decade have been the most successful team in Lancashire.  I suppose it depends on what agenda to push.

My agenda is  i am an old preston boy who supports his home town team and any glory or lack of it does not stop me attending home and away to support my team.    It doesn't matter to me if we are in non league i will still be going........

I have to say, I admire the fact that you support your local team and place of birth. That's exactly why I support the Rovers.

From at he age of seven I was taken to a game, when we were in the old third division and have loved the club ever since.

I grew up with some of my school friend supporting the likes of Leeds, Liverpool and Man U despite all of them being Blackburn lads, so never quite understood it.

I can proudly say, I am a Blackburn lad and have not got my son and Grandson both following the club and hopefully both still will, long after my passing.

There is nothing wrong with supporting your home town team and fair play for you coming on here and saying so,

Enjoy the match tonight.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

You were doing so well until your last sentence 😂

I have to also admit sadly that enjoyed Blackpool fight in the prem back in early part of the after life...... Sadly i admit to wanting them to stay up and admit i quite liked Hollaway and wouldn't have minded him as our manager...