BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leeds Utd (h) - 9/12/23

Leonard doesn't have the attributes to play as a lone striker.  He's neither fast, strong or good in the air.  Perhaps he'd be better suited to playing off a big man like Gallagher in a front two.  As it stands though I personally feel like he offers nothing.  You'd be made up playing against him as a centre half. 

This might seem like an attack on Leonard- it's not, I just don't think his skill-set is suited to the role he's being asked to play and our style of play. He'd be better going out on loan.   I'd prefer to see Ennis or Telalovic given a go. 

We're really lacking a Rothwell and a Khadra too. We've absolutely no creativity or pacy out-let. Decimated by injuries and lack of investment. 

• Like 7

Missed Trav today imo and the Brittain experiment has long run its course plus Leonard is a mile away from starting against most sides never mind the best.

Losing to Leicester and Leeds in isolation is understandable and shouldn't really draw too much criticism especially seeing as we fared better against this lot today. However the home form is a shambles now and we are seeing the same issues every home game. It isn't naivety now it's lack of depth and a refusal to alter the side to cope with that and pure stubborness in persisting with the too open style.

whilst there is no need to despair it's worth pointing out if it wasn#t for the away form where the style suits better we'd be in the doo doo now.

Still it doesn't matter to anyone at the club above the boot room,  it won't be long before JDT gives up and adopts the Mowbray shoulder shrug.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I'm really wondering if Siggurdson is up for the fight. There was great/hopeful expectation on here when he was making his way to fitness. He now can't even get in the starting line up with a full team missing. 

On his last start, Markanday had a hand in both goals first half against QPR, then strangely got the hook at half time. With the squad as it is, I'd like to see him at least given a chance. It seems a bit premature for some to be writing him off. 

I mentioned that about Siggurdson after just a few games, he's definitely a luxury player and we can't afford those strolling around with this team.

Personally i can't see his stay here being a very long one.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Brittain is fine when the going is good. When the going gets tough he isn’t one to roll his sleeves up, and he goes missing.

He’s a good attacking right back and looked decent when pushed further forward on the right. To be played repeatedly out of position on the left side of midfield is. worryingly Mowbray-Esque and baffling.

Edited by Hasta

One player I cant figure out is Sigurdsson. In the last 2 home games we have looked more balanced after half time when he has been out wide. He isnt that quick but hes more powerful and quicker than the other options and he gives us more directness and width.

He offers us a goal threat much more than the other alternatives, Moran isnt a natural when it comes to scoring and Brittain has something like 1 in 5 years. Sigurdsson has 4 for us I think already and chances do fall to him, he had our best chance today and his header was decent.

There are huge question marks over him too though. He shirks tackles at times, he isnt technically that good and he can be quite cumbersome, his general performance levels havent been particularly good but he does offer a goal threat that none of the other options do. He is almost like an inferior Brereton whereby he isnt the most orthodox, his general play can be hit and miss but he does offer a goal threat.

I also wonder where his long term future lies. Rich Sharpe implied a couple of months back that we had some sort of agreement to extend his contract until 2025 I think. I dont have a clue if that still stands, his deal in Russia ends in May so we could now legally approach him on a pre contract. A mixture of him not necessarily excelling and the budget cuts may have changed things, no idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One player I cant figure out is Sigurdsson. In the last 2 home games we have looked more balanced after half time when he has been out wide. He isnt that quick but hes more powerful and quicker than the other options and he gives us more directness and width.

He offers us a goal threat much more than the other alternatives, Moran isnt a natural when it comes to scoring and Brittain has something like 1 in 5 years. Sigurdsson has 4 for us I think already and chances do fall to him, he had our best chance today and his header was decent.

There are huge question marks over him too though. He shirks tackles at times, he isnt technically that good and he can be quite cumbersome, his general performance levels havent been particularly good but he does offer a goal threat that none of the other options do. He is almost like an inferior Brereton whereby he isnt the most orthodox, his general play can be hit and miss but he does offer a goal threat.

I also wonder where his long term future lies. Rich Sharpe implied a couple of months back that we had some sort of agreement to extend his contract until 2025 I think. I dont have a clue if that still stands, his deal in Russia ends in May so we could now legally approach him on a pre contract. A mixture of him not necessarily excelling and the budget cuts may have changed things, no idea.

Very very strange with Siggy, he looks a million miles off the player from the first two games.. something is not right 

51 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

leicester are by far the best side to have played at ewood this year,we were chasing shadows all afternoon

Against Leicester we played through them at times and created good opportunities that we wasted. We looked more like scoring than we did today. I thought we lost every key battle and didn’t lay a glove on Leeds today.

Leeds might not be creatively as good or as pleasing on the eye,  but they looked a more solid, organised unit and I can see why they deservedly won at Leicester a few weeks ago.

16 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Very very strange with Siggy, he looks a million miles off the player from the first two games.. something is not right 

He looks lazy and uncommitted. I thought he was bright in his first few games but @jim mk2 may have sussed him fairly quickly.

• Like 6

To be fair, Leeds fans are pretty loyal considering the length of time they spent in the Championship. A lot of that loyalty comes from their success in the 70’s and 90’s. You can’t doubt their getting behind the team. 

On the point of sitting with the home fans I recall being in the South Stand when Shearer scored a hat trick. Sitting on our hands without saying a word ensured a safe exit at the end of the game. 

Only club in one of the country’s biggest cities and a massive catchment area across the country’s biggest county. They bloody well should be filling a 36k stadium (something they rarely did before Bielsa by the way) and selling out away games.

Media spin, nothing more. As a comparison look at what the Sheffield clubs pull in between them, and they’ve been largely crap for decades, where’s their ‘super fans’ ‘super loyal’ narrative parroted across football every week?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

To be fair, Leeds fans are pretty loyal considering the length of time they spent in the Championship. A lot of that loyalty comes from their success in the 70’s and 90’s. You can’t doubt their getting behind the team. 

On the point of sitting with the home fans I recall being in the South Stand when Shearer scored a hat trick. Sitting on our hands without saying a word ensured a safe exit at the end of the game. 

Is that when we were 3 nil up at half time? 

My exit wasn't a nice experience to be honest. 

7 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Who can blame him? Must be an abject nightmare being ambitious, a winner at the very top of the game in your playing career, a title-winner in your previous job and being confronted with Waggott, Pascha, Venky’s et al as your higher-ups.

I’m not blaming him. Just saying he looked fed up and disillusioned. Don’t think he’ll be with us much longer 

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

5 of us in the home end that day, went on the train, avoided the police and those buses from the station for our own safety......

Who cares, it wasn’t as if we took the kop!

Edited by Gav