BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leeds Utd (h) - 9/12/23

Felt like a flash back to Mowbray being in charge yesterday, I think we missed JDT on the sidelines. No disrespect to his deputies but I'd rather have Jon on that touchline any day. Although he'd probably be in hot water, again for berating the officials (rightly so too). Felt very flat all game, second half slightly better than the first. Leeds embarrassment of riches was summed up when they brought Spence on off the bench and we had Ennis 🥲

Leonard I think can be a decent player but he needs a more experienced head carrying the can for now. I notice Telalovic was nominated for player of the month in PL2, yet gets no game time at all at Ewood, really struggling to understand that one.

9 hours ago, des said:

So near yet so far, with some descent  forwards and  a very good holding midfield  players we could be like Leeds but with the state if our club at this time that will possible  not happen soon

What about our defending then?  Was dreadful at times. We'll never win any games while we defend like that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I think that the vast majority of our fans think that JDT is doing a great job in exacting circumstances.

JDT is doing a brilliant job to be honest. We have a clear style of play and we stick to it. We don't have the squad to play a direct style or play long ball tactics. I enjoyed how we played and the movement and skill we played with is a great to watch. Its how I want us to play. 

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Leeds Utd (h) - 9/12/23

One of my earlier experiences of Leeds fans was in '94 when Matt Busby passed away and pretty much the full Darwen end sang about Don Revie throughout the silence. My 13 year old self was left thinking what a set of twats. Nothing has changed my mind since then. The whole reason yesterday was an early KO was because they can't act normal, I remember when they tried taking the Xmas tree out of the Postal one year, top banter lads.

Nobody can dispute they take numbers away from home, but it's already been pointed out why it's not that impressive. The atmosphere was pretty shite too despite all the top lads in attendance.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Agreed, looks like he had a double KFC meal on his way to the ground.. he looked very bloated indeed 

Don't think there's much option but to get him match fit by playing him. He'd surely offer more presence. He's not going to get up to speed playing reserves football, in the gym or by playing 10 minutes at the end of lost cause matches. if he's a dud then let's at least find out that he is.

Leonard looked a peripheral figure against those big defenders and in an ideal world goes on loan, though that can't happen clearly given the numbers.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, M_B said:

Said at half time, it's like an FA cup game and we've been drawn at home against a Premier league team. 

Good effort today, some good football but if you don't shoot you don't score. It's time for Markanday to get a run in place of Brittain in my opinion,he offers little if anything going forward. 

As someone said earlier, 2 points off the play offs at this stage, considering the circumstances is a cracking effort. 

If Markanday had pace I might agree but I saw Spence stood next to him near the end of the game and it looked like an U15 match where one lad has grown up quicker than the other. Or like boxers in different weight divisions in the same ring.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

If Markanday had pace I might agree but I saw Spence stood next to him near the end of the game and it looked like an U15 match where one lad has grown up quicker than the other. Or like boxers in different weight divisions in the same ring.

Just goes to show how people see things differently. I thought yesterday was one of the few days where they didn't look physically bigger or stronger. In fact their front 4/5 were small in comparison. The difference was they all had frightening pace and technique.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Felt like a flash back to Mowbray being in charge yesterday, I think we missed JDT on the sidelines. No disrespect to his deputies but I'd rather have Jon on that touchline any day. Although he'd probably be in hot water, again for berating the officials (rightly so too). Felt very flat all game, second half slightly better than the first. Leeds embarrassment of riches was summed up when they brought Spence on off the bench and we had Ennis 🥲

Leonard I think can be a decent player but he needs a more experienced head carrying the can for now. I notice Telalovic was nominated for player of the month in PL2, yet gets no game time at all at Ewood, really struggling to understand that one.

Spence was an eye opener, Gnonto before him was the real example of the gulf between the two teams. Looked it up, Gruev also cost £6 million apparently.

Edited by M_B

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

JDT is doing a brilliant job to be honest. We have a clear style of play and we stick to it. We don't have the squad to play a direct style or play long ball tactics. I enjoyed how we played and the movement and skill we played with is a great to watch. Its how I want us to play. 

When we play well, it's nice to watch admittedly. When we don't play so well, I find the style frustrating to say the least, with the tippy tappying around the back and the continual 10 yard passing to nowhere.

Tomasson is doing an amazing job though, all things considered, But he's not beyond criticism, and for me the biggest one is his insistence on playing the 'style' no matter what. Sometimes, for example when you're on an atrocious home run, you have to be a tad more pragmatic and look to grind out a draw or two. It's sh!t or bust with Tomasson.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

When we play well, it's nice to watch admittedly. When we don't play so well, I find the style frustrating to say the least, with the tippy tappying around the back and the continual 10 yard passing to nowhere.

Tomasson is doing an amazing job though, all things considered, But he's not beyond criticism, and for me the biggest one is his insistence on playing the 'style' no matter what. Sometimes, for example when you're on an atrocious home run, you have to be a tad more pragmatic and look to grind out a draw or two. It's sh!t or bust with Tomasson.

I agree with that. To football your way out of this division you need big bucks. Exactly what we haven’t got. I feel sorry for JDT, he’d probably be successful at another club. He won’t be at Rovers because he’s been set up to fail. There’s only one way to get out of this division on peanuts. You’ve got to play a simpler, less ambitious, style of football.

• Like 2

These players aren’t getting promoted regardless. At least with JDT he has them well coached with a set way of playing and ergo has them winning plenty of matches.

A more ‘prosaic’ manager ain’t doing any better with this bunch - no pace, no size, no experience, no strength, no cash, no hope.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

"with the tippy tappying around the back"

Yes, I don't get this at all. When it's gone wrong, as it often seems to, why doesn't a defender smash it anywhere far away from our goal as possible? In the back row of the stand if necessary so we can regroup. Must be under orders not to.

I think this is JDT insisting on the style he wants to inculcate whether we have the players to do it or not.

Instead they keep it going and it leads to a chance or a goal. Madness.

• Like 2

There was an instance in the first half where they played a long ball over the top. Our defenders were on the half way line and their guy was a yard or so offside in our half. He chased the ball through and Wahlsted had to come out of his area to clear the ball. Had their guy not chased it LW would have just picked it up in his box. The offside flag went up only as Wahlsted played it leading to the free kick to restart being taken almost on the edge of our area, instead of 2 yards from the half way line as it used to.
I fail to see any logic in why the free kick is now taken there, as the guy influenced play the minute he went for the ball and forced Wahlsted to come out. All that does is penalise Rovers. Bonkers pointless rule change which I can see no benefit from.

Typically, we then played it short, gave it away and conceded a free kick on the edge of our box.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

All clubs are at it with this passing round the back thing, another Pep fad scrambling the minds of the rest of the game. It isn’t some JDT-ball as pretty much any other manager would be doing the same.

I haven't watched Villa this season, do they also play the passing around at the back tactic ?

Tippy Tappy is played way down into the pyramid.

I've watched enough Non League and early FA Cup ties to see it.

The can't always get it right in the PL and TT must have many assists at PL level so what chance have we and lower level got.

The waiting to give an offside is an accident, as in injury, waiting to happen.

• Like 1

The Times had a piece this week saying Arsenal signed Raya because of his "ability with his feet"

This is getting beyond daft IMO. I'd prefer to have a goalkeeper who hoofed it upfield every time but could do the basics right - like catching crosses and saving shots. 

• Like 3