BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

I wrote in the Newcastle thread that last night was Eustace's big chance to emerge from the very substantial JDT shadow.

He did that and more despite the penalties outcome.

Newcastle were second best for most of the 120 minutes and how the triple subs seemlessly fitted in was just stunning. Newcastle had just wound it up with Almiron, Barnes and Miley coming on and our response was Markanday, Ayala and Garrett. If anything we improved and mostly nullified their increased threat.

• Like 1

Extremely impressed by Eustace last night. Got his tactics spot on and motivated the players. Every player knew their roles within the team and every player performed. The team spirit he has created within weeks is credit to him and the staff. 

• Like 4

Eustace has more than one style, that's now established.

Against the Saudis we played similar to the Stoke game with a mixture of a passing game full of pressing and intensity with long ball being used when needed in our defensive third or to launch an attack.

I hope he goes for that mix in the league and not just the attritional style, I believe he will.

It helped that all the players were up for it in the Cup, now show that desire in the league to help the manager and get us safe.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We are not stuffing about in our own penalty area anymore, that's a few goals that won't get scored against us.

Aa much as I admire JDT's football principles, that bit gave me the heebee-jeebees.

• Like 3

Be interesting to know how he is going to approach training over the next week. After a humongous effort over 120 minutes straight into two massive games on Saturday/Tuesday with a horrendous coach trip to Swansea thrown in.

Minimal exertion and work on the tactical side you’d think… flying to south Wales too would help, but considering they won’t even pay the M6 Toll far more chance of 🐖 flying.

28 minutes ago, 47er said:

We are not stuffing about in our own penalty area anymore, that's a few goals that won't get scored against us.

Aa much as I admire JDT's football principles, that bit gave me the heebee-jeebees.

It was done to excess and was often the creator of self inflicted danger.

It was a factor in loss of confidence in the goalkeeping fraternity and our defenders in general.

Not over complicating in defence and the KISS doctrine is the way to go.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Against the Saudis we played similar to the Stoke game with a mixture of a passing game full of pressing and intensity with long ball being used when needed in our defensive third or to launch an attack.

I hope he goes for that mix in the league and not just the attritional style, I believe he will.

It helped that all the players were up for it in the Cup, now show that desire in the league to help the manager and get us safe.

I think the key was playing the two technical players as the centre mids, total game changer as they could find the right forward passes which has been our big problem.

I imagine we'll play the same way on Saturday.  Why change it? Especially when Swansea are exactly the sort of team who will try and get on the front foot.

• Like 1

One swallow doesn't make a summer but Eustace's overall management was excellent last night.  Let us just hope this will be replicated every game.

It was quite clear the 3 'coaches' calling the shots were Eustace, Gardiner and Downing.  Lowe cut a forlorn and peripheral figure and, hopefully, his career at Rovers is now over.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer but Eustace's overall management was excellent last night.  Let us just hope this will be replicated every game.

It was quite clear the 3 'coaches' calling the shots were Eustace, Gardiner and Downing.  Lowe cut a forlorn and peripheral figure and, hopefully, his career at Rovers is now over.

I agree, but there's something in the way we've come from behind now twice in two games, it's at total odds to recent performances - if we go 1-0 down now, I don't feel as hopeless as I once did. There's every chance we go back to type at the weekend, but something feels different.

Nice to know we have some English football experience on the bench for a change, who get how a team should navigate tough Championship season. 

• Like 2

I’ve been as critical as anyone of Eustace and the style of football we’ve played under him up until now, but last night showed that hopefully he will look to evolve the style, as the players showed (again) that not only are they more than capable of playing decent, progressive football, but they also look much more comfortable doing so than the more agricultural style of late.
We went toe to toe with a very good Premier League team and, for the vast majority of that game (the 10 mins either side of ht aside) we did so without resorting to aimless punts and still looked solid defensively and also looked dangerous going forward too.

But it’s also frustrating, because if they had been sent out to play like that in the games at Brum and Cardiff then I’m certain we’d now have at least 3 points more, maybe 5.
Let’s hope he’s learned ahead of 3 massive games next week. 

Incidentally, I thought we looked a lot more fluent and balanced after McFadzean had gone off and we went to essentially a 4-4-2.
I’d like to see us start games like this, especially at home, and keep the option of bringing McFadz off the bench to shore things up late on in games after we’re (hopefully) ahead. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To be fair Lowe didn't seem to play much of a part under JDT either he was always slumped in his seat after doing his pre match bibs and cones bit.

Mowbray had them all a bit more involved for some reason but i agree the whole set up needs new ideas now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I’ve been as critical as anyone of Eustace and the style of football we’ve played under him up until now, but last night showed that hopefully he will look to evolve the style, as the players showed (again) that not only are they more than capable of playing decent, progressive football, but they also look much more comfortable doing so than the more agricultural style of late.
We went toe to toe with a very good Premier League team and, for the vast majority of that game (the 10 mins either side of ht aside) we did so without resorting to aimless punts and still looked solid defensively and also looked dangerous going forward too.

But it’s also frustrating, because if they had been sent out to play like that in the games at Brum and Cardiff then I’m certain we’d now have at least 3 points more, maybe 5.

Incidentally, I thought we looked a lot more fluent and balanced after McFadzean had gone off and we went to essentially a 4-4-2.
I’d like to see us start games like this, especially at home, and keep the option of bringing McFadz off the bench to shore things up late on in games after we’re (hopefully) ahead. 

It’s a trade off - we looking like we had more about us going forward when we re-jigged the team after McFadz went off be we also looked more open. 

• Like 1

I think McFadz is going to be a key figure for us for the rest of the season and maybe even next season.  To me, he's a bit John 'McNameeesque'.

Also, thought Wharton was superb last night with a performance we haven't seen from him for almost 2 years. 

• Like 2

Yes have to say last night Wharton looked every bit the defender we thought he was going to become a few years ago. Think a lot of it is down to involvement and once he has his favoured position hes found his timing again.

It was way off under JDT when he was a bit part player.

Also in terms of style i really thought we should have been approaching games against Southampton away and the likes of Leics and Leeds at home in similar fashion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yes have to say last night Wharton looked every bit the defender we thought he was going to become a few years ago. Think a lot of it is down to involvement and once he has his favoured position hes found his timing again.

Also in terms of style i really thought we should have been approaching games against Southampton away and the likes of Leics and Leeds at home in similar fashion.

I also think that sadly a lot of our squad are mentally weak.  They don't seem to respond well to pressure. I hope JE can sort that out quick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CambridgeRover said:

I also think that sadly a lot of our squad are mentally weak.  They don't seem to respond well to pressure. I hope JE can sort that out quick

That’s certainly been the case in the past. Let’s hope JE can wave the magic wand over them. We met fire with fire last night.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

35 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

What you're forgetting is that we looked great against PL teams in the FA cup last year with JDT's style of play too.

The Championship is much more about blood, guts and thunder with absolute cloggers harrying and making everything a physical battle. PL players want to actually play football - which is why Ayari and Moran looked good yesterday. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

S. Wharton (the S. is now sadly defunct when talking about a Wharton in Rovers colours 😞 ) has looked better recently because he's playing in a back 3 again. It suits his strengths and hides his weaknesses. Hyam looks much better too. It's a much easier system to play in for a CB - much more margin for error. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Be interesting to know how he is going to approach training over the next week. After a humongous effort over 120 minutes straight into two massive games on Saturday/Tuesday with a horrendous coach trip to Swansea thrown in.

Minimal exertion and work on the tactical side you’d think… flying to south Wales too would help, but considering they won’t even pay the M6 Toll far more chance of 🐖 flying.

But remember our coach is state of the art…

10 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Drawn level now twice in the space of a few days against good opposition instead of crumbling so the signs are good.

• Like 1