BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

47 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I haven't been posting much recently .... I only wish it was due our relegation ...

My Dad slipped away " gently into the good night " in the early hours of 21st May, aged 88. He had suffered from advancing vascular dementia in his last few years, but thanks to the love and support of our wonderful mother, was able to stay in his own home until relatively recently.

Dad was brought up on a new Council estate in Aspley, Nottingham, the son of a Boots factory girl who left school at 14, and a Post Office Engineer. His father died on active service when Dad was 7, leaving my Gran to raise two children with the help of her family. Dad passed the 11+, and attended High Pavement G.S. where he became Head of School ( 1953-54 ). He was offered a choral scholarship at Gonville & Cauis College, Cambridge on the condition he obtained Latin " O " Level, then a requirement for the Engineering tripos. He achieved this qualification by correspondence School, in less than 6 months, whilst doing National Service between 1954-56. He was commissioned in the Royal Signals, serving in Egypt & Cyprus and stayed on the " Reserve " until 1968. He went up to Cambridge in 1956, with his £40 pa Scholarship " It wasn't a fortune, but it allowed me to keep Sherry in my rooms ! ", he often said. He would recall conversing with Harold Abrahams, the 1924 Olympic 100m Champion, at a couple of College Dinners, long before light was shed on Abrahams' story with the film " Chariots of Fire ".

On graduating, he married my mother in 1959, whom he'd met at 17 at an inter-school dance in Nottingham. She was by then an SRN at Westminster Hospital. He then spent the next 45 years in manufacturing industry, running and designing new production facilities in primarily printing and glass manufacture. We moved to Clitheroe in 1975 when Dad was head-hunted to run Joseph Arnold & Co, in Church, then the largest printers of Greeting Cards in Europe. In 1996, he suffered a heart attack aged 60, and underwent a six-way bypass in Boston, Mass whilst on holiday, Luckily, they had taken out Travel Insurance. He was also fortunate that the lead surgeon at Deaconess Hospital was the Emeritus Professor of Cardiology at Harvard ! He retired aged 69, following the successful sale of a Glass Company in which he had a stake.

He wasn't a clubable man particularly, preferring time with his family and in his garden. As befitting a former Choral Scholar, music was ever present in our house growing up. He loved his Rugby, Cricket & Athletics and was a life-long fan of Notts County. He's survived by our mother, his wife of 64 years, and his 3 children. He was an adored father-in-law, grandfather of 5, and had 2 great-grand-daughters ...

Goodnight and God bless Dad .... Thank you for everything. 

May your Dad Rest In Peace SC and love and best wishes to all of your family.

Its hard losing a parent. Remember the good times and be very proud, as he has led an extremely fruitful life. 

• Like 2

Vascular dementia is a horrible, horrible illness and I know of the huge pain and upset it brings to affected families.  In a way, your dad's passing may prove a blessing both for him and your family.

May your dad Rest In Peace.

'Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal'

Take care.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Condolences.

Vascular dementia is horrific i witnessed it first hand 24/7 for 6 months in 2008, your mother is a true angel, look after her.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I haven't been posting much recently .... I only wish it was due to our relegation ...

My Dad slipped away " gently into the good night " in the early hours of 21st May, aged 88. He had suffered from advancing vascular dementia in his last few years, but thanks to the love and support of our wonderful mother, was able to stay in his own home until relatively recently.

Dad was brought up on a new Council estate in Aspley, Nottingham, the son of a Boots factory girl who left school at 14, and a Post Office Engineer. His father died on active service when Dad was 7, leaving my Gran to raise two children with the help of her family. Dad passed the 11+, and attended High Pavement G.S. where he became Head of School ( 1953-54 ). He was offered a choral scholarship at Gonville & Cauis College, Cambridge on the condition he obtained Latin " O " Level, then a requirement for the Engineering tripos. He achieved this qualification by correspondence School, in less than 6 months, whilst doing National Service between 1954-56. He was commissioned in the Royal Signals, serving in Egypt & Cyprus and stayed on the " Reserve " until 1968. He went up to Cambridge in 1956, with his £40 pa Scholarship " It wasn't a fortune, but it allowed me to keep Sherry in my rooms ! ", he often said. He would recall conversing with Harold Abrahams, the 1924 Olympic 100m Champion, at a couple of College Dinners, long before light was shed on Abrahams' story with the film " Chariots of Fire ".

On graduating, he married my mother in 1959, whom he'd met at 17 at an inter-school dance in Nottingham. She was by then an SRN at Westminster Hospital. He then spent the next 45 years in manufacturing industry, running and designing new production facilities in primarily printing and glass manufacture. We moved to Clitheroe in 1975 when Dad was head-hunted to run Joseph Arnold & Co, in Church, then the largest printers of Greeting Cards in Europe. In 1996, he suffered a heart attack aged 60, and underwent a six-way bypass in Boston, Mass whilst on holiday, Luckily, they had taken out Travel Insurance. He was also fortunate that the lead surgeon at Deaconess Hospital was the Emeritus Professor of Cardiology at Harvard ! He retired aged 69, following the successful sale of a Glass Company in which he had a stake.

He wasn't a clubable man particularly, preferring time with his family and in his garden. As befitting a former Choral Scholar, music was ever present in our house growing up. He loved his Rugby, Cricket & Athletics and was a life-long fan of Notts County. He's survived by our mother, his wife of 64 years, and his 3 children. He was an adored father-in-law, grandfather of 5, and had 2 great-grand-daughters ...

A life well lived.

Condolences to you and yours.

• Like 1

Sincere condolences from me also. My mum died just over four weeks ago and I’m only just starting to process it. It sounds like your dad lived a full life and didn’t waste any of it. My consolation is my mum lived to be 93 and apart from a bad knee had no ailments. She died peacefully in her sleep. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sincere condolences from me also. My mum died just over four weeks ago and I’m only just starting to process it. It sounds like your dad lived a full life and didn’t waste any of it. My consolation is my mum lived to be 93 and apart from a bad knee had no ailments. She died peacefully in her sleep. 

Right back at you, " Tyrone " ... in the end with my Dad, it was a blessing as he had no quality of life ... you and I were fortunate to have them as long as we did, many others of our generation were not !! My thoughts are with you ..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I haven't been posting much recently .... I only wish it was due to our relegation ...

Sad to read that SC but an excellent eulogy.

It's an inevitable fact of life that we'll lose those who are closest to us but the cold hard truth of this doesn't make the loss any easier to take.

All we can do is look back at the fond memories of our loved ones and make the most of the time we have with each other.

• Like 4

Condolences @sympatheticclaret, I lost my Dad a couple of years back, also to an awful disease (my dad suffered from a rare disease called "PSP" (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/progressive-supranuclear-palsy-psp/)) which robbed him of his independence and quality of life. 

Watching a loved one, especially your dad, go through something like this is utterly heartbreaking. So I feel your pain.

Again, condolences to you and your family.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry to hear about the passing of your mum Tyrone.

Please accept my condolences.

I've had similar recently, my ex partner of 32 years died 4 weeks ago

We had been separated for almost a year for reasons I won't go into on here but the pain is still with me as it was tragic

• Like 4