BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your 2nd Team

Keep an eye on Real Mallorca.  Used to go there on holiday a lot and saw a match when they were half decent back in the early noughties.  Bought a holiday place out there a few years ago, so  watch a few games each Easter/October if they're at home.  Very much on a par with Rovers.  Declared bankrupt in 2010, Pretty much only survived due to involvement by Rafael Nadal.  They dropped out out of the Primera league in 2013 and have been struggling in the Segunda league since.  They have an hardcore of about 8000 fans Got new owners recently (American) who seem to want to improve the club for the right reasons (and that's where the similarities to Rovers end!).

Not passionate about them like Rovers though.  That's in the blood. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic, Coventry City and Grasshoppers Club Zurich.

Always had a soft spot for Celtic, probably them winning the European Cup in 1967 when I was nine years old and just into football. I worked in Chorley for a couple of years in the mid 80s and became friends with a lad who was from a mad keen Celtic/Rovers family. Went up to Celtic Park many, many times with him and a few times just on my own. Only ever missed a Rovers match on one occasion when I managed to get tickets for an Old Firm game. Great times up there and great people. Was there in 1988 when Celtic won the league in front of an estimated 75k. The capacity then was around 62k but they just kept letting people in. That was some atmosphere that day.

Watched Coventry at Ewood in their promotion season 1968 in front of 28k. They really struggled to stay in the top flight for the next few years and it was just a case of willing them to do it. My auntie's has family in the city.

Lived in Zurich for six months in 2009/10. They play in blue and white halves and have a rich history. Still in Switzerland's top flight but had to sell their Hardturm ground a few years before we were there. There is another team in the city, FC Zurich, who have a bigger fan base but there was only one choice.

12 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Hertha Berlin. For one season they wore blue and white halves. I think it was 2001. That was enough for me to sign up.

Been to watch Hertha a few times, have a scarf and shirt, i've stood with the ultras, got beat 3-0, you wouldn't have known it though... Atmosphere was class. 

Next time I go back i'll be going to Union Berlin... One of the best clubs in the world, I envy them very much. 

Stranraer are my second team. Grandad has a couple of houses in Scotland which I used to go to as a kid. Both were around half an hour away from Stranraer and every summer I'd go to a game there, the club shop didn't sell replica shirts but I still managed to get one somehow! Another team I look out for is Barnet simply because a few years back me and a few mates got the train over to go too a Stanley game and after a few beers a couple of us thought it would be a good idea to go in the away end, was funny stood there with around about 50 die hard Barnet fans. Barnet won 3-1 that day as well. 

Roma. Watched a lot of Italian football as a kid and soon began to really like them, and Francesco Totti is by far my favourite non-Rovers player of all time.

Also lived in Lyon for a year as part of my studies and managed to get to around a dozen home games, so naturally keep an eye on them too. 

Accy. Stanley because it's where I live now. I don't actively support them but I always look for their result.

I also look for the Manchester United and Burnley results but for different reasons.;)

3 hours ago, bradeagle said:

It's funny I am from Wigan and can say as a kid if rovers were away I'd go watching Latics at Springfield park. I want both teams to win each week but for some reason when there is a fixture between them I want rovers to win so badly (almost a Burnley feeling) Maybe because a lot of my mates support Wigan too I can't explain it. The first meeting I remember was fa cup late 90s when we won 4-2. One of my favourite games but probably doesn't mean that much to other fellow rovers. 

I know what you mean by wanting them to win but absolutely hate losing to them.  Funnily that's the first Wigan rover's game I went to and remember.

Lincoln my second team at the moment..

Only other football team I follow is Chorley but the simple fact is with boycotting I've kind of filled my Saturdays with doing family stuff, hobbies etc.  I am lucky that I am a huge Wigan RL fan and try to go home and away as much as possible.  Thankfully Wigan RL is a proper run club on and off the pitch.

2 hours ago, McClarky said:

St Pauli, go over a couple of times a year.

Been to Hamburg on two stag do's last few years (including my own) and I would have loved to catch a game there, shame it was off season when we went.

Though I wouldn't go as far as to call them a second team, my dad is a Man City fan and I go with him maybe 4 or 5 times a year, went to Maine Road with him in my youth too. So I obviously want them to win and such things, but them losing doesn't bother me in any way or anything.

And I would like Settle Sounders to win the MLS cup, mainly because they are sponsored by Xbox.

I checked the results of Barcelona, Real Mallorca and Hertha Berlin. 

Barcelona is a great city to visit and ive been a few times

Real Mallorca cos I used to go on there every year for the 1st 15 years of my life. The people there are great and its always I placed I enjoyed so much..

Hertha Berlin cos they play in blue and white shirt. Havent seen them play in a couple of years tbh. 

14 hours ago, bazza said:

Funny you should say that. I love the name and often thought, in my younger days, why not have a drive up to Dumfries, just over the border, and follow Q of the S. Never did though. They're not doing too badly as of late.

I went to see QoS play Elgin a while back. It was amusing to hear their fans singing "We are queens , we are queens, we are queens." 

My Dad supported Leeds and my Grandad supports Burnley, so there wasn't going to be a second team for me, that's for sure. Although I do lookout for Leeds results after my Dad passed.

Archived