BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Ward is a decent centre back at this level, and unless he's been training poorly then we shouldn't pay too much attention to a preseason performance.  TM should have an idea if he's gonna be up to it by now.  If he thinks he's past it then I'm sure TM will replace him.

If we were looking good in the championship with 4 good players ahead of him then I would've  expected Wharton to be loaned out to a good L1 team, like O'Connell was with Rochdale .  I'd expect him to play most of the games.  If that is right then he should be good enough for our 4th choice.

TM sees him every day and hopefully will have comprehensive reports on how he did at Cambridge so he should have a good idea if he's ready.  

Sure it would be nice to get another defender in but, for me, two musts are an experienced GK (which sounds like TM is after) and another striker (I liked the little I've seen of Bogle)  and they would take priority.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Very Strange....

Our regular poster hasn't posted his daily 5am link to the LT story about ougoings

:excl:

I didn't see any transfer outgoings in the LT today MG.  You must have a different issue to the rest of us.  If you are talking about the front page then, once again, you are posting in the wrong thread.  I would have thought you would have started a new thread for a different issue were it can be discussed without taking another thread off topic.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Keeper and Striker are more important. 

We have 4 centre halfs at the minute

Nonsense. See previous posts to as why this myth we have 4 solid centre halves is wrong. Stop burying your head in the sand.

2 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

Exactly. Striker has to take top priority surely 

I'd say 3 lads to play up front is a lot better than 4 lads to fill 2, possibly 3, positions.

9 hours ago, GreenRover said:

Any mention of a centre half in the pipeline? In one of the other threads someone was saying for the game against Southend to play Ward in a three man backline with Lenihan and Mulgrew. Crazy in my opinion. Ward should be nowhere near it. A solid centre half is needed I would think

Asking for a centre on this messageboard is like asking us to sign Pelé. We must have an abundance of strikers who post because the defensive line is the most neglected topic; a post like this is usually, and has been in your case, met with the whole "a striker is more important", despite the fact we have 3. It seems nobody has learnt their lesson from the previous 7 years where we've lost league positions due to our terrible defence.

10 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Will we see a signing today?...bury the bad news so to speak.

We go to Southend with what we have now Windy, any new signings might not even make the bench. Too many negatives before the start of the season don't do team or fans any good. 

Current transfer status:

- Mowbray looking to bring in upto four new players before window closes.

- Hopeful to have some ready before season kicks off (goalkeeper being closest)

- Sheff Wed is close to signing Djourou as centre back, ending there interest in Mulgrew (Alan Nixon)

- There is an interest in Connor Ripley (GK) from Boro (Multiple sources)

Source; LET

Mowbray revealed last week that he is still looking to bring in up to four new players ahead of the transfer window closing next month.

Source: Rovers.co.uk

"We're trying to add a few footballers and hopefully there's a few deals quite close - a goalkeeper being one of them," said Mowbray after the game at Brunton Park.

"Let's see what this next week brings. We're working hard behind the scenes and hopefully there's some news before the season kicks off and we've got some new additions to the group."

36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Will we see a signing today?...bury the bad news so to speak.

With the amount of money the owners spent on the audits, will it even be worth making people redundant?

Might as well have not done the audits and kept people employed.

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

With the amount of money the owners spent on the audits, will it even be worth making people redundant?

But if they sell a few players at the 11th hour it'll then be the auditors said they had to do it !

The excuses are in early :blink:

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Common sense Davul - you know we don't operate like that.

Sod the plebs. Lets save ourselves money. Who can we sell? Do we have anymore land to secure loans against? How many STs have we sold - how big of a loan can we get? Secure it against Venkys London and call it Rovers' debt. Is there any chance Wonga will have to clear all their debts again? Take one anyway. Where's Jerome?

Where's Grant gone, can we sell him twice? 5 million for that pudding certainly threw a good party eh Bal. Get Paris to leave she's had enough of our hospitality - she had her light on all night last night. Call Stevie, I've got something to tell him.

I pissing hate snow.

I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is around our transfer activity these days.  After the Brentford game I was convinced we'd be starting the league one season without Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham and as far as I'm aware none have left yet.  I also thought we'd be stuck with Jason Lowe, again as captain, as he would have 'found his level'.  Lowe leaving is a bonus for me, although I genuinely wish him all the best for the remainder of his career.

Nor did I think we'd have brought in the likes of Whittingam or Dack.  Admittedly the jury is still out on Gladwin and Smallwood, but I'm confident they'll contribute more over a full season than Guthrie and Akpan.  I'm willing to give Dominic Samuel some time to settle in and get his fitness (I understand he hasn't had much in the way of pre-season training/matches), a striker with pace and potential is what we all knew we needed, no we've got one lets see how he goes before writing him off.

I'll accept that we need cover in the defence and at GK and the last week or 2 has been relatively slow in terms of transfers when compared to our good work earlier in the window.  However I refuse to let this tarnish what I see as a positive transfer window.  5 signings either of proven quality or obvious potential and if TM is to be believed (and why wouldn't we?) there are more incomings close to address weak areas.  Yes they may not be available for Saturday but the following eleven for me can beat Southend, or any other team in the league when fit and at it:

(4-2-3-1)

Raya

Nyambe    Mulgrew   Lenihan    Williams

Whittingham    Smallwood

Bennett         Dack       Conway

Graham          

The club is a mess in many aspects, and I'm as angry and bitter as the majority when it comes to the Venkys.  I still love football though and I still love Rovers and this season I can see reasons for optimism (on the pitch) and despite being 2 tiers lower than I would like us to be... I am looking forward to toasting a win rather than a defeat at 5pm on a Saturday evening on many more occasions than I've been able to in the last 5 years.

Bring on Saturday, and credit to all those that make the journey... have a cracking day.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whats the bad news? 

The request for voluntary redundancies at Ewood.  It's old news to be honest and totally expected but still a horrible situation for those affected.  

Archived