BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I thought Evans was superb yesterday but he and Smallwood as a pairing doesn't cut it for me: Smallwood looks more than a yard off the pace and I think the step up to The Championship is too much for him. I agree with the earlier comments regarding Benno too, he's no longer suited to playing wide and perhaps his high energy and Evans' more cautious approach could be a good pairing in centre mid. Throw Trav, Palmer (who will improve), Rothwell into the mix too, sign a winger, a commanding centre half and forward to complement Dack and Armstrong, and we could actually rip this league up!

I haven't felt as positive as I do now for yonks, COYB!!

A modern day Colin Hendry  and Mike Newell  if such players exist day , would ideal ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I thought Evans was superb yesterday but he and Smallwood as a pairing doesn't cut it for me: Smallwood looks more than a yard off the pace and I think the step up to The Championship is too much for him. I agree with the earlier comments regarding Benno too, he's no longer suited to playing wide and perhaps his high energy and Evans' more cautious approach could be a good pairing in centre mid. Throw Trav, Palmer (who will improve), Rothwell into the mix too, sign a winger, a commanding centre half and forward to complement Dack and Armstrong, and we could actually rip this league up!

I haven't felt as positive as I do now for yonks, COYB!!

Bennett will stay out wide if Mowbrays comments about only wanting '2 and a half attackers' on the pitch at any one time are anything to go by. Bennett set up the goal from the wing so it's not all bad. I'd keep him out wide. No point in us having 2 flying wingers if there is no cover for the full backs and so we end up conceding a few anyway. 

• Backroom

Considering the era Evans came from he's probably the highest paid player at the club, so we should expect a good run of form every once and a while. If he can sustain his form and stay injury free for most of the season then great. I don't think we're looking to strengthen in that position so whether we like it or not Evans will probably be quite an important player for us this season. 

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think we have to be fair. The lad from America was one we were linked with and Sharpe has been saying all summer we've been after a CM. 

Have we been linked to anyone other than Trapp though? I can't really remember. It's hard to believe that with our supposed budget we haven't been able to find anyone better than Smallwood. 

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think we have to be fair. The lad from America was one we were linked with and Sharpe has been saying all summer we've been after a CM. 

Could be another reason why Evans has upped his game, probably knows the club are actively looking to strengthen that area and its going to be either him or Smallwood in alongside him. If he loses his spot the chances of a new contract get slimmer. Throw in Davenport and Travis who will be competing for a spot as well and he really needs to be playing well to hold his place.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Have we been linked to anyone other than Trapp though? I can't really remember. It's hard to believe that with our supposed budget we haven't been able to find anyone better than Smallwood. 

I can't remember but Mowbray is on record as saying only a week or two ago that Travis will go out on loan if we can bring someone in. I presume he means in CM because that is where Travis has been playing for the 1st team and I think that's where Mowbray sees him playing in the future. 

• Like 1

Thought Travis came on and did well yesterday. He was actually playing in Dacks usual position and just chasing everything down and not giving their defenders a second on the ball (same with Arma to the point we're I lost count how many of their balls out from the back went straight out). Think this was wise. Full of running but needed experience in front of the back 4 to see the game out. I'm easy as to whether he goes out on loan or not. Think he could contribute if he stays but obviously want him to develop.

Would really like a deep lying playmaker type of player. For me that would really make this exciting team tick and take it to another level.

Just now, OJRovers said:

This back 4 seems to be our strongest.

Interesting that they didn't play together once last season.

I think if Nyambe and Lennihan had been fit all season, we'd have walked the top spot.

Still have a feeling that Williams will be back when fit

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Still have a feeling that Williams will be back when fit

No doubt. This does frustrate at times.

Williams would be far better on the bench. He can cover cb and lb.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DE. said:

We bid for McGinn.

Got to give Evans credit he's upped his game tail end of last season and early this but it's been too long coming that's why he's quite rightly had stick but it's only fairr he gets some praise now the real Corry Evans has finally stood up.

Not sure how long it'll last it's amazing how these types get a second wind when their cushy contracts are quickly running down but if the team benefits for a while we can't complain. I'd also like to think he's now under a gaffer who won't let him coast week in week out and wants to get the best out of him plus has recruited a few who'll step in and try and make his shirt their own if they can.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic

Bit late to the party but i didn't have chance to post yesterday what with rushing back for Feeder at Rochdale Feel Good Festival ?

Great win, amazing how many chances we spurned and yet didn't end up drawing 1-1. On another day I think we score 4 or 5.

I thought Lenihan was phenomenal, Mulgrew seems to have forgotten how to head the ball this season which is odd. I thought Bennett was below his standards today and actually thought Smallwood had one of HIS better games in a long time (I remain convinced his games are numbered).

Big game on Wednesday now, if we can end these first 5 games unbeaten and on 9 points that would be fantastic return.

On 18/08/2018 at 11:19, Stuart said:

Fair. But when you miss so many chances it often happens.

As it was we weren’t unlucky because we won.

I was FULLY expecting it and if we do not stick away these gilt edged chances at this level it will happen more often than not.

On 18/08/2018 at 11:22, Stuart said:

Only at smug posts.

Delighted that we held on. Delighted about the attacking set up and it went our way today. We definitely lost our way when Dack went off and the subs were erratic.

Not so delighted at Kasey Palmer. He hasn’t quite got his head around what it means to play for this group. Early days but showing signs of being too good to work hard. He won’t last long if he does. The other players won’t be happy to carry anyone.

When watching young Palmer dies anyone else find themselves thinking Ruben Rochina?

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 14:31, bazza said:

Me, my son and my grandson went to the game. Grandson is a lucky charm; 4 games watched and 4 games won.

A great win. Hull are surprisingly poor. All played well but my MOM, when asked, was Lenihan. Son's MOM was Danny Graham even though he was a second half sub. and even though he missed 4 scoring chances.He held the ball up so well that we finished the game on the attack. 

Can I donate towards a season ticket for yiur grandson.

• Like 2