BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How likely is a change of manager tho Miller11? And who is this Souness type manager? I dont very many like him nowadays. I can only think of Warnock who wont be coming here in a month of Sundays. 

My view is we are nowhere close to Mowbray leaving and I think he is here long term. Which I was. 

I was talking hypothetically Chaddy. As I’ve said before I am not advocating getting rid of Mowbray at this point, and I have zero confidence of a competent replacement.

Like I said, not many of those types of Manager about, although Joey Barton seems to be doing ok (except for assaulting opposition managers). To be clear, I am in no way, shape or form advocating we get him.

As for how long Mowbray will be here... could be days, could be years. Lunatics tend to be unpredictable.

Edited by Miller11
Typo

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

He already managed there and got screwed over by Gibson

How did Gibson screw him over? I'm intrigued because he has a reputation as being one of the most supportive owners in football.

• Backroom

I don't think being sacked after one win in ten and dropping Boro to 16th in the table constitutes being screwed over. They were also dumped out of the cup by Accrington Stanley. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24617321

In his first full season he led the club to seventh in the Championship and last term they were well placed for a promotion push before a dramatic loss of form meant they finished in 16th place.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I don't think being sacked after one win in ten and dropping Boro to 16th in the table constitutes being screwed over. They were also dumped out of the cup by Accrington Stanley. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24617321

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Boro, Coventry, Celtic the list goes on

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My view is we are nowhere close to Mowbray leaving and I think he is here long term. Which I was. 

What is long term, out of interest? Another year, two years, five years? Surely it should depend on achievements rather than some principled point about sticking with the incumbent rather than making a change? Would you accept 5 bottom half finishes like last season so we can celebrate backing Mowbray and him being  here 'long term'?

Mowbray has been here more than 2.5 years now, which is above average tenure in the Championship and longer than all the current managers with the exceptions of Harris at Millwall, Johnson at Bristol and Warnock at Cardiff. 

Those other 3 have arguably done as well if not better than Mowbray in their time at those clubs. Harris got Millwall up and kept them up on a small budget, Warnock worked miracles at Cardiff and Johnson has built Bristol into a side I expect to make the playoffs.

For right or for wrong managers don't get long term unless they consistently overachieve e.g. Dyche or Howe. In the Championship they get a couple of shots at it then the clubs tend to look elsewhere in their pursuit of success.

Just now, Miller11 said:

I was talking hypothetically Chaddy. As I’ve said before I am not advocating getting rid of Mowbray at this point, and I have zero confidence of a competent replacement.

Like I said, not many of those types of Manager about, although Joey Barton seems to be doing ok (except for assaulting opposition managers). To be clear, I am in no way, shape or form advocating we get him.

As for how long Mowbray will be here... could be days, could be years. Lunatics tend to be unpredictable.

Fair point Miller. I somewhat agree on zero confidence of a competent replacement. 

Kind off forget Barton is managing Fleetwood tbh..

Just now, arbitro said:

How did Gibson screw him over? I'm intrigued because he has a reputation as being one of the most supportive owners in football.

Gibson spent big money when Strachan and Karanka but not when Fan favourite Mowbray was there. Look back on season spent by each manager

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Gibson spent big money when Strachan and Karanka but not when Fan favourite Mowbray was there. Look back on season spent by each manager

Maybe Gibson knows what Mowbray is like if you give him money......he’s spunked £12m on a couple of carthorses, so good on Gibson

• Like 2

I think Boro were going through a transition and bit of a downscale when Mowbray was there similar to GBs time here.  They had a few big earners and a lot of young players so were trying to strike a balance again plus Gibson had business issues to sort allegedly so he turned the tap off a bit.

They wanted a steady hand and got one in TM but when it came time to push it on again, well... you know the rest.

Fair point Miller. I somewhat agree on zero confidence of a competent replacement. 

Kind off forget Barton is managing Fleetwood tbh..

I'm not sure of your definition of being screwed over applies here. If that was the case then you could argue Venkys screwed Bowyer over because they have given Mowbray a lot more to spend.

He's had a decent start to the season. Squad looks better, defensive issues improved somewhat, okay position in the table.

Realistically it's going to take a run of three or four defeats in a row to out him under serious pressure.

Those who want him out are going to be frustrated for a little while at least.

If he does go I would anticipate we are far more likely to get someone worse rather than better. But then the Holtby signing showed ambition so maybe we would be able to push the boat out / make a good decision?

• Backroom
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

He's had a decent start to the season. Squad looks better, defensive issues improved somewhat, okay position in the table.

Realistically it's going to take a run of three or four defeats in a row to out him under serious pressure.

Those who want him out are going to be frustrated for a little while at least.

If he does go I would anticipate we are far more likely to get someone worse rather than better. But then the Holtby signing showed ambition so maybe we would be able to push the boat out / make a good decision?

You never know with Venky's. It's a spin-the-wheel scenario, but on the Venky wheel 95% of the possibilities are bad. There's always a slim chance of hitting the other 5% though. 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

What is long term, out of interest? Another year, two years, five years? Surely it should depend on achievements rather than some principled point about sticking with the incumbent rather than making a change? Would you accept 5 bottom half finishes like last season so we can celebrate backing Mowbray and him being  here 'long term'?

Mowbray has been here more than 2.5 years now, which is above average tenure in the Championship and longer than all the current managers with the exceptions of Harris at Millwall, Johnson at Bristol and Warnock at Cardiff. 

Those other 3 have arguably done as well if not better than Mowbray in their time at those clubs. Harris got Millwall up and kept them up on a small budget, Warnock worked miracles at Cardiff and Johnson has built Bristol into a side I expect to make the playoffs.

For right or for wrong managers don't get long term unless they consistently overachieve e.g. Dyche or Howe. In the Championship they get a couple of shots at it then the clubs tend to look elsewhere in their pursuit of success.

another season after this once. 

I see progress from last season and I think we can improve this season. Well I'm pleased we have keep Mowbray so far and I see the where he wants to take the club and how. You highlighted Johnson has had time and built a squad you expect to make the playoffs so why cant Mowbray been given the same?

Some Millwall fans want Harris gone and this his time is up. as long as he keeps them up for me he done his job. 

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

I'm aware hes already managed there but Boro is still his team and I think youd still want to manage them. 

well that's your own view gumboots but after managing once they always say never go back. 

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm not sure of your definition of being screwed over applies here. If that was the case then you could argue Venkys screwed Bowyer over because they have given Mowbray a lot more to spend.

All depend on your view. Venkys were burned by the spending spree the season before which include Gomez, Rhodes, Kazim Richards, Murphy, Best. Bowyer did well to a point but I think that second season we should have got top 6 at least(I predicted 2nd that season on here) but we never got close. 

Mowbray didn't succeed Bowyer tho did he. he was 3 managers after

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who is the young hungry manager then? 

Well yes it my opinion based on the squad we got at the minute. I see the championship playoffs picture wide open this season. Put together a good run of results over a period of time. 

Ah the classic "yeah but who else is there" response. At what point does this become unacceptable?

The squad we have at the minute haven't been in the play off places this season and have lost at home to Charlton and Luton. 

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Ah the classic "yeah but who else is there" response. At what point does this become unacceptable?

The squad we have at the minute haven't been in the play off places this season and have lost at home to Charlton and Luton. 

Not at all. I have respect for people who sugggest managers and why they think he would be better like Miller11 did this morning. If you said hypothetically if Mowbray was to leave tomorrow Chaddy who would be on your 3/5 shortlist then I would give you choices. 

We are in 10 games into the season. You dont win anything in 10 games. After 46 games is all that matters. 

• Like 1

Not at all. I have respect for people who sugggest managers and why they think he would be better like Miller11 did this morning. If you said hypothetically if Mowbray was to leave tomorrow Chaddy who would be on your 3/5 shortlist then I would give you choices. 

We are in 10 games into the season. You dont win anything in 10 games. After 46 games is all that matters. 

Disagree to some extent. Your form early on can make a huge difference. 

For example our poor/mixed form initially in League 1 cost us the title, and our good form at the beginning of last season did a lot to help stave off relegation. So yeah, the first 10 games do matter, albeit the final position is more crucial. On the evidence on the first 10 games though, we aren't going to be anything other than average, which imo is under performing. 

You dont win in the first 10 games but you set a pattern and confidence . The more of the 30 available points you gain, the better. You dont hear City saying we've not done too badly because we've only had one defeat. They want to win the lot, and, whilst we can accept we wont win every match, that should  be our aim. Losing to Luton AND Charlton is not acceptable because it's a bad habit to get into. Losing one wouldn't matter if you put it right and made very sure that barring the biggest of flukes, it didn't happen again. Losing to both is very poor indeed. 

• Like 2

You dont win anything in 10 games.

Except both cups?

TM deserves this season, unless we plummet. But he's got to start showing more on the pitch and stop spunking our meagre funds on players who don't look up to scratch. Brerton is a massive cock up and serious cash for us these days. TM either needs to hoodwink another club and get rid or make him into a player. I am also keen to stop this strikers wide bollocks and get players out there who know and can play the role. Chapman is one for me, loads of players are big time Charlie's but he has something about him and like all kids needs pitch time and faith. Holtby is a great signing, TM has done well there as with Dack (pieboy), but he has more blunders than hits and has apparently revolutionised our scouting system.  Transfers must improve.

I hope we can finish top six, expect to finish top 10 and anything less is not good enough. We will find out eventually.

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Disagree to some extent. Your form early on can make a huge difference. 

For example our poor/mixed form initially in League 1 cost us the title, and our good form at the beginning of last season did a lot to help stave off relegation. So yeah, the first 10 games do matter, albeit the final position is more crucial. On the evidence on the first 10 games though, we aren't going to be anything other than average, which imo is under performing. 

Yes it can but last 10 games can make the also a difference like Villa who was 13th in March(i think) and got promoted through playoffs. Its balance act. Norwich wasnt top 2 after 10 games last season. 

Yes it can but last 10 games can make the also a difference like Villa who was 13th in March(i think) and got promoted through playoffs. Its balance act. Norwich wasnt top 2 after 10 games last season. 

Clutching at straws. We ain't Villa and we ain't Norwich. The difference is they had dynamic managers prepared to take risks.