BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

We've lost almost half of our games so far this season Chaddy, including two home defeats to teams who were in League 1 last season. I don't think we'll even get close to the playoffs, let alone actually promoted. 

and still only 4 points off the playoffs. 

Think reminds of people wanting Mowbray sack when we were 10 games into the league 1 season and I and many ppl backed him and look how that turn out. 

Leeds have lost Charlton, Swansea only draw with Reading after we beaten them last week. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see progression from last season to now. He is building the squad from season to season to challenge for promotion. Something I think we can do this season. 

we are 9 games in and in a decent position where we can get into the top 6 come end of the season

If you see a team that is capable of challenging for promotion then I suspect that you are attending different games to almost everyone else.

Next you will be saying that Sam Gallagher can win the golden boot.

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

We don't want to be going up to the PL this season. We are nowhere near ready and would get murdered up there which could see us end up worse off. Lucky we have no chance of it happening.

Speak for yourself. The TV money and parachute payments would be worth being whipping boys for a season.

• Like 7

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

and still only 4 points off the playoffs. 

Think reminds of people wanting Mowbray sack when we were 10 games into the league 1 season and I and many ppl backed him and look how that turn out. 

Leeds have lost Charlton, Swansea only draw with Reading after we beaten them last week. 

We are always X points off the Play-offs, it gets longer as the season progresses. Just like Bowyer---get close to Top 6 and we freeze.

Just now, Amo said:

Speak for yourself. The TV money and parachute payments would be worth being whipping boys for a season.

What Burnley did.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Sorry Amo. I would prefer us to go up with a squad capable of competing to stay up and then consolidate.

Out of interest, what do you think would happen to all that money ?

There is never a wrong time to get promoted. We need a cash injection to balance the books, and being a PL club would make us a more attractive proposition for any potential takeover. There are a dozen or so teams vying to get to the promised land, we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing when that time comes.

• Like 7

Mowbray is arguably a victim of his own success in raising expectations 

OR

Another way of looking at it is Mowbray has tossed away 6 points at home through his own selections, tactics, team talks and substitutions

6 POINTS

Let's look at the League Table if we had beaten Charlton and Luton 2-1 instead of losing by that score 

1 WBA P9 W5 D4 L0 F17 A10 Pts 19

2 Rovers P9 W6 D1 L2 F12 A8 Pts 19

Sorry Tony, but this season, next season, any season, we are not going up if Managerial balls ups are costing us 3 points in over 20% of our games played.

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

OR

Another way of looking at it is Mowbray has tossed away 6 points at home through his own selections, tactics, team talks and substitutions

6 POINTS

Let's look at the League Table if we had beaten Charlton and Luton 2-1 instead of losing by that score 

Sorry Tony, but this season, next season, any season, we are not going up if Managerial balls ups are costing us 3 points in over 20% of our games played.

There are NO outstanding teams in this division. None of the recently relegated teams are pulling up trees. We will never have a better chance of going up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Gallagher signing is a sackable offence on its own. It’s a worse signing than Brereton because Mowbray managed him for 15(ish) games in the relegation season. Not one Rovers fan I know thought that he was worth £5m, yet Mowbray did - criminal.

Think Mowbray has spunked £15million+ away on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher.

I would have sacked him after the Brereton debacle.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see progression from last season to now. He is building the squad from season to season to challenge for promotion. Something I think we can do this season. 

we are 9 games in and in a decent position where we can get into the top 6 come end of the season

How long do you give him though Chaddy?

Personally I don’t think we will be challenging this season, and that presents a bit of a problem. We need promotion sooner rather than later.

As we saw with Rovers under Bowyer, and at plenty of other clubs at this Level, this long build of a few years towards promotion only ever really guarantees the eventual breaking up of your team if you aren’t successful. We’ve already lost Raya and only replaced with a stop gap. Cunningham and Adarabioyo are loanees, Graham and Downing (and Mulgrew) will likely retire or at least drop down levels. Johnson will be 33 so his involvement you’d think would reduce. That’s already a pretty hefty rebuilding job. Eventually Dack is going to get the opportunity to play in the Premier League, we’ve done well to hang on to him thus far. Travis will also have suitors, maybe Lenihan too. The likes of Nyambe and Rothwell would be entitled to be fed up with the way they are currently being (under)utilised and look for a move. Presumably Evans, Smallwood and Leutweiler will all be off too.

We have some exciting prospects coming through, granted, but Gallagher isn’t pulling up any trees so far. As for Brereton, if we were to try and sell him in January we’d be having the pants down if anyone who offered half a million for him. The rebuilding job we’d have on our hands next summer will be at best significant and at worst an almost complete overhaul. FFP and questionable transfer strategy (for which I think Venky’s should take more blame) mean that while we may not be at promotion or bust levels of urgency quite yet, it isn’t far off.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Personally I don’t think we will be challenging this season, and that presents a bit of a problem. We need promotion sooner rather than later.

As we saw with Rovers under Bowyer, and at plenty of other clubs at this Level, this long build of a few years towards promotion only ever really guarantees the eventual breaking up of your team if you aren’t successful. We’ve already lost Raya and only replaced with a stop gap. Cunningham and Adarabioyo are loanees, Graham and Downing (and Mulgrew) will likely retire or at least drop down levels. Johnson will be 33 so his involvement you’d think would reduce. That’s already a pretty hefty rebuilding job. Eventually Dack is going to get the opportunity to play in the Premier League, we’ve done well to hang on to him thus far. Travis will also have suitors, maybe Lenihan too. The likes of Nyambe and Rothwell would be entitled to be fed up with the way they are currently being (under)utilised and look for a move. Presumably Evans, Smallwood and Leutweiler will all be off too.

We have some exciting prospects coming through, granted, but Gallagher isn’t pulling up any trees so far. As for Brereton, if we were to try and sell him in January we’d be having the pants down if anyone who offered half a million for him. The rebuilding job we’d have on our hands next summer will be at best significant and at worst an almost complete overhaul. FFP and questionable transfer strategy (for which I think Venky’s should take more blame) mean that while we may not be at promotion or bust levels of urgency quite yet, it isn’t far off.

I'll sum that up. Mowbray is a plodder unlike Farke, Wilder, Hughes, Souness, Dalglish, Mackay or Kendall.

Edited by MCMC1875
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, philipl said:

OR

6 POINTS

Blimey, that's sober reading.

Football is all ifs and buts and you're never going to win every game but those 2 games should have been 4 points at least. 

Thank you Tony

Watching Leicester demolish the big club that is the Toon this afternoon makes me so sad about the Loon years. They only need to look at them, and yes, the Bastards.......and find a manager to get us back to the place they brought us from. W*nkers, and liars. TM is a nice bloke, but nice isn't going to get us up.

1 minute ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Watching Leicester demolish the big club that is the Toon this afternoon makes me so sad about the Loon years. They only need to look at them, and yes, the Bastards.......and find a manager to get us back to the place they brought us from. W*nkers, and liars. TM is a nice bloke, but nice isn't going to get us up.

A football club needs a first rate CEO and a first rate manager.

They will pay for themselves many times over.

Sadly, IMO, Waggott and Mowbray are way off the mark.

What a half decent manager would have done with the £15million+ I think Waggott and Mowbray have wasted on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray has spunked £15million+ away on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher.

I would have sacked him after the Brereton debacle.

I have a feeling Mowbray will get sacked at the end of the season if he's not near the play-offs and I can't see him managing top half personally. They haven't a clue about football but they won't be happy about him wasting that amount of money not once, but twice.

Edited by booth

Just now, booth said:

I have a feeling Mowbray will get sacked at the end of the season if he's not near the play-offs and I can't see him managing top half personally. They haven't a clue about football but they won't be happy about him wasting that amount of money not once, but twice.

Where does that leave us financially ? Cutting their losses again ?

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Blimey! Are you Thomas Hardy in disguise?. I love your use of understatement.

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Spot on the rebuilding has to hit a peak every now and then before it needs doing again through the natural course of football even if it isn't forced by a need for money.

As pointed out we saw with GB a good squad put together it just needed a few astute final pieces and steering in the right direction. It wasn't it was allowed to bumble along just doing enough over a season then after a while it starts going backwards and all of a sudden there is no money to sustain it or rebuild it when it starts to be dismantled.

Real danger that'll happen again the signs are all there although i still believe we'll go a place or to better than last season. That'll be celebrated but sooner or later the inevitable will happen although maybe this time there'll be instant reinvestment or a continuing rolling modest investment season on season like we've seen recently. Again that's a good thing but the problem i see with this manager is he goes for stop gaps, old boys connection and favoured agents players rather than going all out to get serious quality in the right area's i.e the spine of the team and building around that.

A Boro fan said a frw months ago that if Mogga was there and given the money they'd spent he'd have them promoted in a season, i seriously beg to differ. Unless of course there is a different remit within the club there from Gibson than here at Ewood.....

Again i'm not advocating his removal for a second and i like a lot of his signings this season but they still aren't horses for courses everyone seems to be a utility man in some form and that's how he uses them so it's no wonder we get disjointed performances.

In the bigger picture the money he has spent in the last two seasons could and should have been spent better even before we go on about the tactics etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I am more than happy to give him the season as long as progress and get into then top 10/6 this season. 

I agree with the decision of selling Raya. Mowbray has said that they missed out a couple of targets and Darlow was on the list but his wages were something we couldn't match. Maybe Walton might be back next season. Cunningham loan deal could be made permanent