BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Stuart said:

I was watching Johnno throw balls up to the defenders before the Luton game and remember thinking that he looks less likely to take over now than he did a year ago. He appears to have been neutralised after upstaging Mowbray last season.

Things are too cushy for all concerned really. Venus and Lowe look like they have got tenure as long as Big T is here. We need some new ideas but instead it looks as though it’s “Mowbray’s Plan A” or bust.

I thought that Stuart. Get him putting the cones out and he's less of a threat.I can't believe he has any input as to how the team plays.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

He had 15 games - from which he got 22 points. He inherited a situation where we had 29 points from 31 games. So on a points per game basis he improved us by a factor of approx 50%. In any walk of life management which achieved a 50% improvement immediately with the same resources would be regarded as doing an excellent job

Point to all the stats you like. He just isn’t a good Championship manager. Not since he abandoned they very formula that made him a successful one.

Warnock, Redknapp, Allardyce, Pulis would all have kept us up. Relegation worked out very well indeed for a very pragmatic Mowbray.

Just now, Stuart said:

Point to all the stats you like. He just isn’t a good Championship manager. Not since he abandoned they very formula that made him a successful one.

Warnock, Redknapp, Allardyce, Pulis would all have kept us up. Relegation worked out very well indeed for a very pragmatic Mowbray.

Twaddle - we were relegated because of where we were starting from. I will continue to quote stats because facts are the basis on which sensible opinions are formed.

• Like 1

Twaddle - we were relegated because of where we were starting from. I will continue to quote stats because facts are the basis on which sensible opinions are formed.

So you disagree with the list of managers who - in my opinion - would have kept us up while Mowbray didn’t?

Or did you not read that far in your haste to score points?

How do stats view the 3 points gifted by Villa and the 3 by a disinterested Brentford?

We had too many draws

Just now, Stuart said:

So you disagree with the list of managers who - in my opinion - would have kept us up while Mowbray didn’t?

Or did you not read that far in your haste to score points?

Yes I do -I'm not interested in scoring points. I think the job of keeping us up depended both on us improving and other teams not. The latter was out of our hands.

I didn't expect him to keep us up and he didn't. I blame the appointment of Coyle for that, it was nailed on from day one after he came in. My reservations started during our promotion season. We seemed to be unable to dominate teams for more than 30 minute spells in spite of having a pretty decent squad of players compared with what we were up against most weeks. The football on show was pretty turgid even when we were winning. We seemed to do just enough to win and then racked our cue. To be honest I would have fired Mowbray towards the end of that disasterous run  last season if I thought for one minute the idiots would make a sensible appointment. Add that on to this season and in my opinion he can't take us any further.

• Like 3

Yes I do -I'm not interested in scoring points. I think the job of keeping us up depended both on us improving and other teams not. The latter was out of our hands.

45 points at stake and we got less than half. That shows a lack of ideas and even fight - the kind we are seeing now. QPR may have got the rub of Wagner’s green but, even so, Redknapp kept them up.

I don't get to see rovers play as much these days as we are rarely on TV but I've been a member of this site for many years & reading between the lines the the club appears to have settled into the enevitible mediocrity of the venkys era. There is no willingness to fight for the club, the fans or themselves. This comes, not from the manager, but the very top, the owners take no interest, have not fir years & are never likely to! The club is like the 8th child in a family of ten, we just can't find our place.

Unfortunately, speculating who should be the next manager is a blind attempt to create a bit of excitement! Experience of this era tells me that we will get an adequate name who won't overly excite & will have very little chance to progress the team because he cant get full backing & a drive from the owners. What is really needed is a figurehead at the top who will drag this club back to where it should be with a philosophy & a fire in thier belly.

• Like 9

Just now, Stuart said:

45 points at stake and we got less than half. That shows a lack of ideas and even fight - the kind we are seeing now. QPR may have got the rub of Wagner’s green but, even so, Redknapp kept them up.

Redknapp inherited a better situation at Birmingham(not QPR). He got 13 points from 13 games overall so his return per game was way inferior to Mowbray

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 1

Just now, Bennisfromheaven said:

I don't get to see rovers play as much these days as we are rarely on TV but I've been a member of this site for many years & reading between the lines the the club appears to have settled into the enevitible mediocrity of the venkys era. There is no willingness to fight for the club, the fans or themselves. This comes, not from the manager, but the very top, the owners take no interest, have not fir years & are never likely to! The club is like the 8th child in a family of ten, we just can't find our place.

Unfortunately, speculating who should be the next manager is a blind attempt to create a bit of excitement! Experience of this era tells me that we will get an adequate name who won't overly excite & will have very little chance to progress the team because he cant get full backing & a drive from the owners. What is really needed is a figurehead at the top who will drag this club back to where it should be with a philosophy & a fire in thier belly.

Good analysis - screaming abuse at Mowbray and baying for his head is pointless

Redknapp inherited a better situation at Birmingham(not QPR). He got 13 points from 13 games to keep them up so his return per game was way inferior to Mowbray

I stand corrected on the club but he got the job done.

We brought in the wrong bloke for the job as many thought when he was appointed.

Now we need to decide if he is the man to take us any further.

Just now, Stuart said:

I stand corrected on the club but he got the job done.

We brought in the wrong bloke for the job as many thought when he was appointed.

Now we need to decide if he is the man to take us any further.

Actually Stuart I stand corrected because the 13 points from 13 games was his overall record and included the next season. He got 6 points from 3 or 4 games that season depending on when he took over (which wasn't completely clear)

Just now, Bennisfromheaven said:

Brilliant post! ??

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings. Brereton looks a massive mistake by Mowbray. He wanted Gallagher but Southampton wanted too much then so he went for Brereton. Maybe another manager could get more out Brereton then Mowbray has. Now on the Gallagher signing We should have signed a centre back like Hector or Jansson. So why didn't he? big question to answer there. 

Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. 

Now lets look at likely candidates and the staff they tend to work with. 

1. Damien Johnson. Done a very good job with the under 23's side over the last 3 years before his promotion to the 1st team. Question would be who would he have on his staff? I don't know. 

2. Nigel Pearson. Has promotion on his CV and knows this league well. He tend to work with Craig Shakespeare as his number 2. But also has Steve Walsh as his DoF. would our owners allow that? No idea. 

3. David Moyes. He hasn't manage at this level for a number of years. would he step down and take this job? no idea. He tend to work with Alan Irvine and Billy McKinlay. 

4. Nigel Adkins. Knows this league very well and has Promotion on his CV. Experience at this level. Tend to work with Andy Crosby. 

5. Gary Rowett. Another manager with experience at this level. Solid Championship manager until the Stoke situation mess. His staff at Stoke was Kevin Philips, Callum Davidson and Mark Sale. 

6. Karanka. has promotion on his CV. knows the league. 

7. Gareth Ainsworth. Doing an excellent job at Wycombe in League 1. worked miracles there after all the financial problems. Blackburn Rovers fan. 

8. Chris Coleman. Decent manager. Did a top job at Wales. Works with Kit Symons as his number 2. 

I haven't include Hughton due to him turning down the Sheff Wed and Stoke City. rumoured he wants a PL club. Doubt Pulis would come. Jokanovic is managing a club in Qatar so I very doubt we could compete Wages wise. Wagner is managing at Schalke in Germany so he aint leaving them for us. No chance in hell at all. unsure if Hughes would come but he always works with Mark Bowen. 

Also another consideration is that Rovers don't pay big wages for managers so it might restrict who we get in maybe. 

Hope this helps people 

Fair post. You did for a couple of days say you want Mowbray out following the win(!) V Oldham then revert back to defending him to all and sundry, out of interest why has it changed suddenly again? 

Regarding your choices, one thing I would insist is that who Ainsworth supports has to be considered irrelevant. A football club shouldnt allow sentiment to play a part in recruiting a manager, once the novelty wears off it makes not one iota of a difference and indeed can cause clubs to make silly appointments. Whether that be who the manager supports or used to play for. United fell into the trap of appointing Solskjaer, there was initial positivity but quickly hes proved incompetent. We was told how perfect Woodgate was for the Boro job, the novelty of who he is soon wears off. You may point to Wilder but hes doing so wel not becuase he supports Sheffield United but because hes a superb, proactive manager who had success in the past and has implemented a very consistent system where his players know their roles to a tee. This isnt all aimed at you btw this is a general point.

What we have to remember is that unlike a lot of the time, a new manager wouldnt be taking over a club in crisis fighting for its life. Just one swimming in mediocrity, one thats become stagnant and needs someone who can make it greater than the sum of its parts. 

Hughton has to be the stand out candidate if we could push the boat out for him, his record speaks for itself. Aside from him, Id love us to push for Lee Bowyer if he could be persuaded. Getting every last drop out of his players at Charlton. Ainsworth, solely for his actual ability and the job hes doing at Wycombe, would also be a good appointment. They are perhaps the main 3.

A few of the other unemployed managers that you mention, Adkins, Karanka and Rowett, would all be steady if slightly uninspiring choices, to be considered if the above 3 turned us down. Moyes has been out a while, and Pearson I am not sure. Johnson would be an IMO unnecessary gamble and Coleman is a bit shit, we dont have Gareth Bale.

Sadly, Mowbray is going nowhere. Venkys are the idiots that are continiously the elephant in the room and Waggott is Mowbrays mate.

• Like 1

It’s the stage fright that seems to spread right through the team that upsets me, so inconsistent. One whiff of getting into the top 6 and we bottle it, not two games later we revert back to this pish. I think it’s becoming evident that Tony’s ceiling is mid to lower table championship, is that good enough for the owners? He has had money to spend and spent it very poorly.

The football on display is slow and ponderous and has been for years. 

I like Tony and he has done a decent job for us, but I think it’s time for a change, we are going nowhere fast. We have decent individual players and a plethora of quality youngsters, seem to have some money too. I bet we would be an attractive team to some bigger names.

Not too bothered who the replacement would be, Moyes would be terrific, and Hughes would be a good pick for a glamourous return, would imagine some fans would return for him.

• Like 3

I honestly can't see Mowbray leaving either of his own volition or being sacked. Who is going to sack him? The guy that Mowbray vouched for? The lunatics on another continent? What about the invisible man Pasha? I think he is as safe as Kean was when he was effectively writing his own contracts.

It's been well known that Mowbray likes to pick the low hanging fruit. He likes to bring players in who he knows and also coaches he knows too. His safe football is based around not losing or narrow wins. The post about us only coming from behind once to win a Championship game under him is damning and should be enough for him to tender his resignation. To reiterate what many have said he has taken us as far as he can and soon as will begin to regress.

• Like 2

I would never have appointed Mowbray in the first place.

Since his appointment, I have consistently flagged my concerns about his abilities.  I cannot see a single strength in his management.

Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson all, IMO, need clearing out.

IMO, we owe Mowbray nothing - we rescued him from football's scrap heap and no doubt he has been handsomely rewarded and probably set up financially for life.

I think Huddersfield have made a great appointment in Danny Cowley and he has started to turn them around.  Hungry, talented young managers are out there and we need to find one.

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

I would never have appointed Mowbray in the first place.

Since his appointment, I have consistently flagged my concerns about his abilities.  I cannot see a single strength in his management.

Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson all, IMO, need clearing out.

IMO, we owe Mowbray nothing - we rescued him from football's scrap heap and no doubt he has been handsomely rewarded and probably set up financially for life.

I think Huddersfield have made a great appointment in Danny Cowley and he has started to turn them around.  Hungry, talented young managers are out there and we need to find one.

You also touted us to win every game 4-0, so that doesnt really back your argument of saying you dont rate the manager, though i agree, neither do i.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

out of interest why has it changed suddenly again? 

Look at what I said properly. 

"If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings."

"Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. "

Questions need to help if we can achieve this season and does Mowbray have the ability to achieve this target. 

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hughton has to be the stand out candidate if we could push the boat out for him, his record speaks for itself. Aside from him, Id love us to push for Lee Bowyer if he could be persuaded. Getting every last drop out of his players at Charlton. 

Like I said I dont see Hughton coming anywhere near Blackburn Rovers. His wages are well above what we pay out. Plus he turned down Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday.

Bowyer,.another one I canf see anywhere near us. 

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly, Mowbray is going nowhere. Venkys are the idiots that are continiously the elephant in the room and Waggott is Mowbrays mate.

Questions need to be asked over recruitment this summer and Brereton transfer. 

All down to what Venkys want this season. 

Ainsworth or Pearson for me.

It'd be nice if Mowbray could turn it around but players playing out of position combined with him wasting money on strikers that can't score makes me wonder if he was ever in possession of a plot, never mind lost it.

• Like 2

Just now, AAK said:

You also touted us to win every game 4-0, so that doesnt really back your argument of saying you dont rate the manager, though i agree, neither do i.

Yep. Cue build up to Huddersfield, ‘despite our poor run if we can’t beat this lot then they all need flogging, and I think we will win by 4 goals to 1.’

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Look at what I said properly. 

"If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings."

"Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. "

Questions need to help if we can achieve this season and does Mowbray have the ability to achieve this target. 

Like I said I dont see Hughton coming anywhere near Blackburn Rovers. His wages are well above what we pay out. Plus he turned down Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday.

Bowyer,.another one I canf see anywhere near us. 

Questions need to be asked over recruitment this summer and Brereton transfer. 

All down to what Venkys want this season. 

Well I'm pleased we have keepMowbray so far and I see the where he wants to take the club and how. You highlighted Johnson has had time and built a squad you expect to make the playoffs so why cantMowbray been given the same? 

You posted this on Thursday this week. Have you any self awareness?

• Like 5