JoeH

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't buy this at all. No one wanted Evans back in the side, no one was saying Downing at left back. Yes some people wanted Rothwell, Nyambe and Graham to play. But it's hardly the XI that "the fans wanted".

For another thing a lot of people have been wanting Arma dropped. He scored again today.

To be fair, I mentioned giving Downing a go at left back on more than one occasion on here.

Besides, it was not so much 'the side' that people wanted. it was square pegs in square holes. Consistency, and less of the tombola. LB, yes we have no option as Downing cannot be worse than what we already have there and in fact, is already showing that at 35, he is already the best that we have there - what does that say?

The strikers on the wing, Bennett playing every position imaginable, Dack playing up front - this was the stuff people were moaning about. This has stopped, we have won 4 on the bounce. 

As for Arma, he has been pretty average, storming game today though. He also had a storming month last season - just the month though. Evans, we all know he can play when he wants - he must want it right now for whatever reason.

Edited by JacknOry

A good win and deserved three points with a clean sheet to boot but in typical Rovers fashion we made hard work of it. Far too many chances were squandered in the quest for a second goal and in fairness the Derby manager sensed the possibility of a goal and went all out attack with his changes. We defended well enough but had to rely on a great save by the much maligned Walton late on to clinch the points. I thought Downing was excellent today with Tosin, Nyambe and Lenihan not far behind. Evans continued his fine run of form.

As good as Mowbrays changes were recently the first two he made today were unfathomable given how we have played recently. Why not just go like for like, it was simple enough to do but sometimes, particularly with Gallagher it's like Mowbray is trying to prove himself right but to the detriment of the team. However that should not overshadow another win.

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Do you seriously think that Mowbray - or any other manager - pays any attention to what know - nowts on a messageboard are saying ?

Of course he doesn’t. I’d be shocked if he knows it exists and even more shocked if he can be bothered reading it. But the fact remains this change of fortune has come about through him deciding to do pretty much what people have been saying here, at work, in the pub since September. 

He's presumably come to these decisions on his own or by way of pandering to his paying public. Armstrong scored today but isn’t good enough. Walton kept a clean sheet but isn’t good enough. Football isn’t rocket science you don’t need to be an ex professional to know what’s bloody obvious. Tony seems to be on the same page now and long may it continue.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Woeful Derby whose manager must be living on borrowed time

Suggest you read Derby owner CEO Mel Morris comments where he backing Cocu and allowing him time. 

My opinion is Cocu waa a strange appointment at the time. I didnt understand their formation and theirstyle

13 minutes ago, Nelsonthedog said:

TM does not read brfcs ffs.. get real.

Ffs, I'm not saying he does, nobody is!!!! 

I said way back in the summer when we signed downing that he was seen as an option at left back to be told I was ridiculous and he is a left winger attacking signing. I got slated for saying so. Hi guys *waves*

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Suggest you read Derby owner CEO Mel Morris comments where he backing Cocu and allowing him time. 

My opinion is Cocu waa a strange appointment at the time. I didnt understand their formation and theirstyle

Its easy to say but if they keep losing he will have a decision to make. I hope they keep him, the more teams around us struggling the better. They were awful today.

Has someone thrown a switch at Rovers? I couldn’t see the plan or way forward several games ago (not to mention for several seasons past). And now, praise where it’s due, we look a credible team. Really enjoyed today’s game-a real cat and mouse game from both sides attempting to pass it, not a blood and thunder game (which can in their own ways be good.)

Manager asked why we are now suddenly winning, what’s different. He answered that it was just a matter of fine margins. Well…

-a passing game – one touch stuff

-patience (ignore the numpties around me who moan that it should be launched forward asap)

-sensible shape with players in the right positions

-players that look like they enjoy this shape and way of playing and understand it

-dropped the long ball to Gallagher/Graham –tedious to watch and ineffective generally (although I’m not against long ball at the right time as variation)

-finally, thank the lord, trying to play the ball into hole and play from there. A word on this. It’s great to knock it into say Dack in there but we need to think more of the next 2 touches. Sometimes, Dack with his back to goal is fending off people and trying to take on a couple of players. If he gets caught here (especially when tiring), a swift turnover can catch us out.

-some nice triangles played around Nyambe on the touchline

-a word on Rothwell. Still believe, he can be great for us. But another who someone has to get  inside his head and make him believe. Make him play a great game every game not once in a while. Talk about positional play. Talk about believing that he can score goals.  One of our few players who can drop a shoulder and ghost past people with pace.

Sometimes it’s just the little things. For example. In the main, we have (thankfully) dropped the ineffective throw down the line which is just a play safe lottery. We now retain possession from throw-ins really well. Example from today. Late second half in Derby half on our left (in front of JW stand).  Throw in. Bennett (I think) takes. Downing to receive but he has a defender in front of him making it difficult. He discretely signals with his left hand which side he wants the ball to go. Thrower obliges. And Downing is able to nicely play a long pass onto the far side of the pitch to maintain possession and start an attack. Simple but effective and missing from Rovers’ play for years.

Nyambe –hold my hands up. Always had potential but thought he was a rabbit in the headlights as a defender. Still prone to keystone cop moments and uncertain positionally, but wonderful today at times. One moment, deep in second half, when he stood still on the ball and then dropped a shoulder and surged past their player down the line as if he wasn’t there. Loved it. Bags of energy, runs all day. Got to get inside his head and make him believe in himself.

Tosin and Lenihan

Can be a very good partnership in this league. Tosin has got it all. We’ve been crying out for nearly a decade for passes into the ‘pocket’, ‘hole’ whatever –he calmly sees situations and delivers passes forward into great positions. Just a matter of watching the body language and doing the nitty gritty at times.

Evans was immense. He is never going to be the most silky or pacey. But he really did a job today, worked like a Trojan, made forward runs as well as the usual defensive biting covering and tackling. He and Travis (also limited in many ways) were effective at snuffing things out. Well done lads.

Armstrong. Always had ability but in recent times we all know some issues. Work rate? How much does he want it? Head down running into blind alleys? Making the right decision? Well today, he got it all right. Great performance, first on the wing and then when they were tiring, up front he kept going. Let’s hope he can do it every game and has the will to do it. Well done.

Downing. Age, legs going but class is permanent. Footballing brain and suspect it is rubbing off on players around him. Calm in possession, does simple thing, keeps ball well. Will never surge past a full back but still capable of creating half a yard and whipping in a great cross (something lacking from Rovers for ages). At full back, you worry about pace but know-how has been enough so far and gives his all. Knocked some great balls forward to Armstrong towards the end.

A few things that annoyed me (picky I know after such a good win). Basically all of them at the end when we are trying to wind the clock down. Generally, giving the ball away too cheaply. Buckley coming on and giving the ball away twice when you just need sensible game management. Ditto Walton (good save btw) at the death with a free kick who just kicked it long and it went straight though to their keeper to launch another attack. Keeper has to get it to Gallagher on the touch line so that you at least have a 50/50 of getting a throw and thus hold play up longer. And on another note, Dack not passing to Armstrong who was in a great position to score. These things can cost you.

So, praise is due –for now. Keep it up.

Edited by aletheia

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its easy to say but if they keep losing he will have a decision to make. I hope they keep him, the more teams around us struggling the better. They were awful today.

Last time I heard Sky Sports speak to Derby's owner Mel Morris he was backing him and more than happy with mid table finish. 

I agree they were awful today. Formation wise was strange considering their squad

I thought we were really professional, overall, which is the third time in a row that I've thought that. It feels like years - or maybe even a decade - since I've felt that. The team, as it stands, gels superbly well.

Walton
Had virtually nothing to do throughout the match, but prevented a late Derby equaliser with a good save. Another clean sheet under the belt, and I'd like to hope that gives both him and the defence a bit more confidence that we can do the same going into the next match.

Nyambe
Superb, as he was against Brentford. He defended brilliantly and provided support down the flank when we pressed forward. Always evades his man when he takes him on - I just wish he tried that more often than checking back (if I'm being fussy). He must surely be cementing his place at right-back and phasing out Bennett.

Lenihan
An absolute rock in defence. I've no doubt that his return is coinciding with an upturn in our fortunes. He won everything today - both in the air and on the ground. What a player he is turning out to be for us. I could have sworn that his initial appearances in the first team were in midfield! He is a natural as a central defender - that's for sure.

Adarabioyo
Man of the match. It's funny how his composure on the ball makes me feel nervous, but he pulls it off every time with an incisive pass. Not only is he a ball-player, but his height and reading of the game looks spot on. He put in a crucial block towards the end, and I think he edges a deserved MotM performance today. His day will have been soured by this evening's result, though!

Downing
Like Nyambe, he was back on form today, as he was against Brentford. Composed, showed good experience to outdo his young opponent(s) on countless occasions, and I'd like to think that he is at least going to tide us over at left-back until the transfer window is done (if not beyond). You can also see why he's our joint-highest goal assistant so far this season; his delivery is second to none.

Evans
Close contender for MotM. He fights for everything, and seems to be finding his home as the holding midfielder. If this carries on, he'll be a fan-favourite before long. This is what we've been waiting for - for too long.

Travis
I can't stress enough how the role of Evans allows Travis to do what he does best - get around the middle of the park freely and pull some strings to put us on the front foot. That's what I felt he did today. A solid performance, and his play is more mature than his age would suggest.

Rothwell
He looked sharp again and gave Derby a number of problems in the first-half with his forays into the box. He was a lot quieter in the second-half, but it was another good shift that shows us he could become a big player for us.

Dack
His ability to win free-kicks with use of his arse never ceases to amaze me. For such a short player, he's got a superb knack for holding up the ball and fending players off. He might not have been firing on all cylinders today, but it was a good shift from him.

Armstrong
His pace is a real outlet, and his control isn't half-bad. He should have put us ahead in the first-half, but got his goal with a great strike in the second-half. If I'm being picky, I thought the 'keeper's positioning was well off. I'll hold my hands up and say that I felt he needed to go off shortly before he got his goal - so I got that one wrong! My concern with him is what he does with the ball in the final third when he gets it out wide. He uses his pace, but I feel like he is too afraid to take-on defenders once they get back into position. He maybe needs to work on that to improve as a wide-forward.

Graham
A quiet performance, and perhaps still a bit rusty. He never looked like scoring today, but his work on the ball (holding it up) and off the ball (his positioning) seems to allow the others around him to do their thing. I still think he should be starting up front as our linchpin for a bit longer.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Williams returns; he's been one of our standout performers so far this season, and looked to have been cementing his place in the centre of defence before he got injured. You'd think it's going to be between him and Tosin.

Two points off the play-offs going into the festive period. I'd have been OK with that before the season kicked off. To me, the key to keeping our results intact revolve around keeping the starting XI consistent. If we stray from that, then we'll probably end up in a similar position as we did last season. If we keep a consistent line-up with minimal changes, who knows?

26 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes - and he kept faith with the likes of Evans and Armstrong because he is his own man. 

Don't know about keeping faith with Evans as he'd only started 3 games prior to Brentford.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Last time I heard Sky Sports speak to Derby's owner Mel Morris he was backing him and more than happy with mid table finish. 

I agree they were awful today. Formation wise was strange considering their squad

Rooney will be the manager there by the end of the season, no danger.

Sponsor

It's great to focus on Rovers in such a positive way that I completely forgot about Derby. They look lost, and were probably one of the poorer teams I've seen us play, even if they did pose a danger towards the end (which I thought was of our own tactical making, really). They're not relegation fodder, but assuming that they were looking for promotion this season, it's probably safe to say that they aren't getting with Cocu at this rate. I suspect he might get the can before the transfer window opens.

I'm guessing that Derby will have been compensated for Lampard, but I'd be amazed if they didn't find themselves on the wrong side of FFP in the next couple of years (assuming they don't go up). It feels like they've spent a lot without the reward that they needed.

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

It's great to focus on Rovers in such a positive way that I completely forgot about Derby. They look lost, and were probably one of the poorer teams I've seen us play, even if they did pose a danger towards the end (which I thought was of our own tactical making, really). They're not relegation fodder, but assuming that they were looking for promotion this season, it's probably safe to say that they aren't getting with Cocu at this rate. I suspect he might get the can before the transfer window opens.

I'm guessing that Derby will have been compensated for Lampard, but I'd be amazed if they didn't find themselves on the wrong side of FFP in the next couple of years (assuming they don't go up). It feels like they've spent a lot without the reward that they needed.

Rooney will clearly be the manager at some stage in the next 6 months

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Rooney will clearly be the manager at some stage in the next 6 months

LOL. If they think Cocu's bad what will they think if that thick thug takes over. Yeah they hired another high profile (ex) English player in Lampard. There's a difference. Lampard's intelligent.

Edited by Vinjay17

One thing (apart from the other things) that's still a major concern is our finishing. This is another game we should have put to bed long before one injury time hoofball gave Derby an excellent chance to equalise with what was their only shot on target in the whole game. 😯 Phew!

50 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Has someone thrown a switch at Rovers? I couldn’t see the plan or way forward several games ago (not to mention for several seasons past). And now, praise where it’s due, we look a credible team. Really enjoyed today’s game-a real cat and mouse game from both sides attempting to pass it, not a blood and thunder game (which can in their own ways be good.)

Manager asked why we are now suddenly winning, what’s different. He answered that it was just a matter of fine margins. Well…

-a passing game – one touch stuff

-patience (ignore the numpties around me who moan that it should be launched forward asap)

-sensible shape with players in the right positions

-players that look like they enjoy this shape and way of playing and understand it

-dropped the long ball to Gallagher/Graham –tedious to watch and ineffective generally (although I’m not against long ball at the right time as variation)

-finally, thank the lord, trying to play the ball into hole and play from there. A word on this. It’s great to knock it into say Dack in there but we need to think more of the next 2 touches. Sometimes, Dack with his back to goal is fending off people and trying to take on a couple of players. If he gets caught here (especially when tiring), a swift turnover can catch us out.

-some nice triangles played around Nyambe on the touchline

-a word on Rothwell. Still believe, he can be great for us. But another who someone has to get  inside his head and make him believe. Make him play a great game every game not once in a while. Talk about positional play. Talk about believing that he can score goals.  One of our few players who can drop a shoulder and ghost past people with pace.

Sometimes it’s just the little things. For example. In the main, we have (thankfully) dropped the ineffective throw down the line which is just a play safe lottery. We now retain possession from throw-ins really well. Example from today. Late second half in Derby half on our left (in front of JW stand).  Throw in. Bennett (I think) takes. Downing to receive but he has a defender in front of him making it difficult. He discretely signals with his left hand which side he wants the ball to go. Thrower obliges. And Downing is able to nicely play a long pass onto the far side of the pitch to maintain possession and start an attack. Simple but effective and missing from Rovers’ play for years.

Nyambe –hold my hands up. Always had potential but thought he was a rabbit in the headlights as a defender. Still prone to keystone cop moments and uncertain positionally, but wonderful today at times. One moment, deep in second half, when he stood still on the ball and then dropped a shoulder and surged past their player down the line as if he wasn’t there. Loved it. Bags of energy, runs all day. Got to get inside his head and make him believe in himself.

Tosin and Lenihan

Can be a very good partnership in this league. Tosin has got it all. We’ve been crying out for nearly a decade for passes into the ‘pocket’, ‘hole’ whatever –he calmly sees situations and delivers passes forward into great positions. Just a matter of watching the body language and doing the nitty gritty at times.

Evans was immense. He is never going to be the most silky or pacey. But he really did a job today, worked like a Trojan, made forward runs as well as the usual defensive biting covering and tackling. He and Travis (also limited in many ways) were effective at snuffing things out. Well done lads.

Armstrong. Always had ability but in recent times we all know some issues. Work rate? How much does he want it? Head down running into blind alleys? Making the right decision? Well today, he got it all right. Great performance, first on the wing and then when they were tiring, up front he kept going. Let’s hope he can do it every game and has the will to do it. Well done.

Downing. Age, legs going but class is permanent. Footballing brain and suspect it is rubbing off on players around him. Calm in possession, does simple thing, keeps ball well. Will never surge past a full back but still capable of creating half a yard and whipping in a great cross (something lacking from Rovers for ages). At full back, you worry about pace but know-how has been enough so far and gives his all. Knocked some great balls forward to Armstrong towards the end.

A few things that annoyed me (picky I know after such a good win). Basically all of them at the end when we are trying to wind the clock down. Generally, giving the ball away too cheaply. Buckley coming on and giving the ball away twice when you just need sensible game management. Ditto Walton (good save btw) at the death with a free kick who just kicked it long and it went straight though to their keeper to launch another attack. Keeper has to get it to Gallagher on the touch line so that you at least have a 50/50 of getting a throw and thus hold play up longer. And on another note, Dack not passing to Armstrong who was in a great position to score. These things can cost you.

So, praise is due –for now. Keep it up.

Good post

41 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Rooney will be the manager there by the end of the season, no danger.

Danger to them maybe!

Too happy on here.

Derby forums is a better read lol

"Only 1-0 feels like a win."

"Crap tactics, crap team line up, crap players. We are crap"

"The longer this stays 1-0 the more chance we have of only losing 1-0."

Seriously, they expected to still be challengers despite losing three players that now represent the full England team. Let's be honest, they were awful. I also think this Rooney experiment is not going to help. Only did average in the US while an older Ibrahimovic dominated the league - Rooney wasnt even the best player at DC United. 

See, every bodies gone to bed all content now. Not liking this.

Kinda prefered it when it was like this

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't buy this at all. No one wanted Evans back in the side, no one was saying Downing at left back. Yes some people wanted Rothwell, Nyambe and Graham to play. But it's hardly the XI that "the fans wanted".

For another thing a lot of people have been wanting Arma dropped. He scored again today.

Very VERY true. People very quick to get at TM, but a lot of people on this forum want Armstrong dropped, nobody was clamouring for Corry Evans to return, and barely anybody had been saying lets play Downing at left back. 

The only one I think the fans can feel justified in having played a part in is Nyambe, I think a good amount of positive pressure has been put on there and it's made a world of difference.