Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ossydave

Charlton

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think if we had hit over 3k, the club wouldn't have stopped tweeting about it etc.

I think it was around 1400 sold at the start of the week, so if we can get close to 2k it's a decent effort.

MY apologies, typo- meant to say 2k...! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the sales split between the seated and none seated areas ? This could be a guide to the popularity of a safe standing area at Ewood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rigger said:

What is the sales split between the seated and none seated areas ? This could be a guide to the popularity of a safe standing area at Ewood.

Charlton is all seater.

Are you thinking about Brentford the week after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Charlton is all seater.

Are you thinking about Brentford the week after?

Yes my mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Sky Sports always on the ball! Lol!

The mistakes they make are shocking!

IMG_20200213_121313.jpg

How do you get a league table so wrong!

There's about 6 teams showing with incorrect points and / or positions!

Edit: Just checked and ironically it's correct on their website.

Edited by windymiller7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we agree beforehand that, with us only taking 4 points from the last 3 games, only 14 games remaining and with the top  2 still to come to Ewood, a point on Saturday is not a good result

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Can we agree beforehand that, with us only taking 4 points from the last 3 games, only 14 games remaining and with the top  2 still to come to Ewood, a point on Saturday is not a good result

Agreed.

Cliché, but it's a '14 cup finals' mentality needed if we're going to push ourselves up in to the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Can we agree beforehand that, with us only taking 4 points from the last 3 games, only 14 games remaining and with the top  2 still to come to Ewood, a point on Saturday is not a good result

This falls into the must win category for me. If we have any hope of reaching the play offs, we need to be beating teams like Charlton. When we play the sides higher than us in the table, we want them to be looking over their shoulders and feeling the pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Can we agree beforehand that, with us only taking 4 points from the last 3 games, only 14 games remaining and with the top  2 still to come to Ewood, a point on Saturday is not a good result

I think "must win" is bandied about a lot when games aren't actually must win. This isn't "must win" as there is still plenty to play for. A loss would be very bad needless to say and we do really owe them one for beating us earlier in the season. 

Whatever about the overall picture, a 0-1 point return from 2 games V Charlton would be very poor. That being said, these things can happen. Didn't we beat Newcastle twice the year we went down and they went up? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think "must win" is bandied about a lot when games aren't actually must win. This isn't "must win" as there is still plenty to play for. A loss would be very bad needless to say and we do really owe them one for beating us earlier in the season. 

Whatever about the overall picture, a 0-1 point return from 2 games V Charlton would be very poor. That being said, these things can happen. Didn't we beat Newcastle twice the year we went down and they went up? 

Agree with this. A win makes it a good week despite losing to Fulham. Anything less is disappointing, but we still live to fight another day, even if it looks very tricky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our fans are quite used to not having that intense pressure and mentality whereby any dropped points are rued. We just muddle along without ever actually really being in the mix, never in the top 6.

On the face of things, going to Charlton away on the back of a home win might seem like a positive one, a point on the road, a long distance away day, but ultimately, it would be a week of 2 home games out of 3 in which we have lost more points than we have gained. Charlton are near the bottom, it wont be easy, stick in all of the usual platitudes, big crowd, long journey, fighting for their lives, but its a game that if you genuinely see yourself in the top 6 at the end of the season, without factoring in the deficit, its your bread and butter.

If we have genuine aspirations of the play offs, we have to realise that not only do we need to be hitting top 6 form, we need to be considerably better because we need to make up a considerable 6 point deficit on 6th place, and not only that, leap frog 7th and 8th as well as obviously factoring any potentially brilliant runs from anyone below us. 6 points may not seem a lot but it certainly is over 14 games. It is very much a long shot and as such will not be achieved without a remarkable run from here on in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Charlton game is a tough one. Aren't they unbeaten against top 6 clubs? Deffo no pushover like some fans thought in August. 

Will be interesting how we set up formation and team line up wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good teams have that must win mentality every game. When things are going against them in a match it quickly switches to must not lose.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
32 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Good teams have that must win mentality every game. When things are going against them in a match it quickly switches to must not lose.

How many of them are in our division? I'm not sure there are any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

This falls into the must win category for me. If we have any hope of reaching the play offs, we need to be beating teams like Charlton. When we play the sides higher than us in the table, we want them to be looking over their shoulders and feeling the pressure. 

For me every game is must win, but it doesn't always happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many of them are in our division? I'm not sure there are any. 

Nope not this season that's why there is a vacancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think "must win" is bandied about a lot when games aren't actually must win. This isn't "must win" as there is still plenty to play for. A loss would be very bad needless to say and we do really owe them one for beating us earlier in the season. 

 Whatever about the overall picture, a 0-1 point return from 2 games V Charlton would be very poor. That being said, these things can happen. Didn't we beat Newcastle twice the year we went down and they went up? 

Yep, I remember watching us play Newcastle around Christmas time that season and being so depressed at how utterly poor we looked. Then Mulgrew scored a free kick and we scabbed a completely undeserved win. In fact it was this match:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38433053

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Good teams have that must win mentality every game. When things are going against them in a match it quickly switches to must not lose.

Agreed, its not going to be an easy game necessarily, but its one against a team right near the bottom, who have scraped together a team, if youve got genuine top 6 hopes, and thats before you consider a 6 point, 3 place deficit, you go there expecting to win and frustrated if you dont. Its an eminently winnable game for a side with top 6 aspirations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to mention Preston but the other night they go to Stoke and win comfortably. This won't be easy but we haven't won down there in a while and that must win siege mentality goes a long way in tough games.

Defence has been doing well so we have the platform but need something up top can't just rely on Armstrong as we did Dack as he'll become the marked man now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hate to mention Preston but the other night they go to Stoke and win comfortably. This won't be easy but we haven't won down there in a while and that must win siege mentality goes a long way in tough games.

Defence has been doing well so we have the platform but need something up top can't just rely on Armstrong as we did Dack as he'll become the marked man now.

I still don't think Preston, Bristol City or Nottingham Forest are any better than us. Could see us finish between 5th and 10th by the end of the season.

The games against the teams around us are most important. But with 6 points to make up bearing Charlton is definitely important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Charlton game is a tough one. Aren't they unbeaten against top 6 clubs? Deffo no pushover like some fans thought in August. 

Will be interesting how we set up formation and team line up wise. 

We arent a top 6 club though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Charlton game is a tough one. Aren't they unbeaten against top 6 clubs? Deffo no pushover like some fans thought in August. 

Will be interesting how we set up formation and team line up wise. 

Lucky we're not a top 6 club then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Hate to mention Preston but the other night they go to Stoke and win comfortably. This won't be easy but we haven't won down there in a while and that must win siege mentality goes a long way in tough games.

Defence has been doing well so we have the platform but need something up top can't just rely on Armstrong as we did Dack as he'll become the marked man now.

Armstrong has the pace to lose a tight marker though. 

I think we'll win this one 3-1. Armstrong to grab a couple more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.