Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Would be against this, save the little finances we have for players of more proven quality in positions of higher importance such as left back, centre mid or back up GK. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t bring anyone else in, especially with how quiet things seem to have gone. Felt like ages since we’ve had a proper rumour.

I think it's another one for the U-23's.

Liverpool were looking to see how he progresses this season before deciding what to do with him next year. However, with Jota's arrival - they may offload him.

 

But I agree, we should be prioritising other problem positions in the team first.

Edited by Traviscon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Soft spot for Rovers? Hmmm

Yeh I really don't think he does. Described losing to us as his worst moment as a professional or something like that. Even though we needed the points desperately as we were in a relegation scrap. Even though he had been part of that team that got hammered by Manure (7-1 was it?) which should have been far more embarrassing, especially since he was supposedly a boyhood Rovers fan.

I thought Jones was terrific when he was here, I could kinda understand him moving, even though it was to them, even though I thought he moved too soon, and even though we were shafted out of a few million by him not picking Liverpool. But after those comments he is eternally persona non gratis to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I go back to just before that and he wouldn't be in my top twenty. In no particular order - Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, Big Fred, Andy Mac, Johnny Byrom, Tony Field, Simon Garner, Speedie, Newall, Shearer, Sutton, Kevin Gallagher, Matty J, Andy Cole, Santa Cruz, Yakubu, Benny Mac, Duffer, even Dwight Yorke, were all better.

Vernon in a different league to Dobing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bloody Hell, how did I forget Bellamy ! ! ! One of my all time favourite players. He'd be better than Dwight Yorke playing on one leg.

There are some fantastic players in that list but I'd have Bellamy up along side Shearer in my all time Rovers 11. 

Agree with that, Bellamy was an outrageously good player. It's mad they actually did play with each other for years at Newcastle but were hot and cold, mainly because Bellamy was such a bell end. On paper Bellamy/Shearer should have been one of the great strike duos.

If Bellamy had his head screwed on he could have been as good as Thierry Henry imo, very similar style in so many ways and just as talented. But Henry was a grafter, while Bellamy was a deeply troubled bloke. Still did alright mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Soft spot for Rovers? Hmmm

I don't want him to come back but it would be almost worth it to see Vinjays reaction. 

😁😁😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bellamy was not even close to being on the same planet as Thierry Henry! put down the sauce 😂 

Edited by Gordon Gekko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk of Phil Jones is pie in the sky but even if it wasn't I wouldn't want him.

He hasn't gone a season injury free in the past 5 or 6. The last thing we need to be doing is breaking the bank signing a player to sit on the physios bench. We have Mulgrew for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh I really don't think he does. Described losing to us as his worst moment as a professional or something like that. Even though we needed the points desperately as we were in a relegation scrap. Even though he had been part of that team that got hammered by Manure (7-1 was it?) which should have been far more embarrassing, especially since he was supposedly a boyhood Rovers fan.

I thought Jones was terrific when he was here, I could kinda understand him moving, even though it was to them, even though I thought he moved too soon, and even though we were shafted out of a few million by him not picking Liverpool. But after those comments he is eternally persona non gratis to me.

He did support Rovers when growing up. He was certainly mascot as a kid and I believe was a season ticket holder. Chorley lad where we’ve always had a decent following over the years. 
 

I don’t condone the comments you refer to though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8782865/Leicester-edge-closer-37m-capture-Burnley-defender-James-Tarkowski.html

Are we going to get some percentage for Tarkowski if the deal goes through? He was our member from his 9-th -14-th year (1999-2006).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I doubt we could even afford 10-15% of his wages. 

His injury record is poor but I'd take him on a pay as you play basis.. Huge asset when fit. Doubt if his agent would agree though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

His injury record is poor but I'd take him on a pay as you play basis.. Huge asset when fit. Doubt if his agent would agree though

Jones posed with Manchester United gear when still under contract with Blackburn Rovers.

It's been a joy watching his career flounder and flop at Old Trafford. Would never have him back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Talk of Phil Jones is pie in the sky but even if it wasn't I wouldn't want him.

He hasn't gone a season injury free in the past 5 or 6. The last thing we need to be doing is breaking the bank signing a player to sit on the physios bench. We have Mulgrew for that.

Take money out of it and I'd sign Jones in a heartbeat. Injuries and gurning aside he is still a prem level player who would improve the side.

As I and others have said he should have gone to Liverpool. He would have been a much better player because of it. Yet he went chasing trophies at Man U and got there just after the bus had left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a no from me over Jones. Error prone, injury prone and will treat a return like he'd not have to give it 100% as we're a 'lesser club' in a a division below. He was quick to run off to a bigger club in a manner a bit like Bentley and give it the Billy big balls thinking he made it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's a no from me over Jones. Error prone, injury prone and will treat a return like he'd not have to give it 100% as we're a 'lesser club' in a a division below. He was quick to run off to a bigger club in a manner a bit like Bentley and give it the Billy big balls thinking he made it.

I'd have him but for the injuries. However some Premier League club will end up with him, He'd be on over £100000 a week so way over our budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones is an academic discussion for Rovers.

He could probably do a decent and desperately needed job for Fulham.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zeleni said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8782865/Leicester-edge-closer-37m-capture-Burnley-defender-James-Tarkowski.html

Are we going to get some percentage for Tarkowski if the deal goes through? He was our member from his 9-th -14-th year (1999-2006).

If we were due anything would we have not got it when he signed for the Dingles from Brentford? Or when he signed for Brentford from I think, Oldham? Why now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As if he wouldnt walk into our team either.

Delckenbauer might keep him out the team at this rate....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Can't believe people are actually discussing Jones like he's an option 😂

I know, I’ve not seen anything to even remotely suggest that except one tweet from some guy saying he wants to come back here, just typical Twitter nonsense, some guy makes a passing comment then all the gullible idiots start discussing it. We wouldn’t afford 5% of his wages in a loan deal and nor would I want us to 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh I really don't think he does. Described losing to us as his worst moment as a professional or something like that. Even though we needed the points desperately as we were in a relegation scrap. Even though he had been part of that team that got hammered by Manure (7-1 was it?) which should have been far more embarrassing, especially since he was supposedly a boyhood Rovers fan.

I thought Jones was terrific when he was here, I could kinda understand him moving, even though it was to them, even though I thought he moved too soon, and even though we were shafted out of a few million by him not picking Liverpool. But after those comments he is eternally persona non gratis to me.

The lad is a walking meme. How is losing to us the worst moment of his professional life?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gordon Gekko said:

Bellamy was not even close to being on the same planet as Thierry Henry! put down the sauce 😂 

He could have been I think, if he'd sorted himself out. Obviously just a personal opinion, but he had exceptional pace, could score from range, link and create. He was unplayable really. Some of the goals he scored were unbelievable solo efforts.

Henry kicked on from a pretty modest start at Monaco into a goal machine at Arsenal really epitomising everything Wenger was trying to do. Bellamy on the other hand spent that part of his career falling out with Souness and Shearer, getting shunted out to Celtic, had one excellent season with us, then moved to Liverpool and hit Riise with a golf club and continued he merry go round of clubs.

If he'd had his head screwed on he could have had a much better career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones would be a great signing but it’s not going to happen, his wages are out of this world so Utd may as well keep him for the tiny % we would be willing to pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

He could have been I think, if he'd sorted himself out. Obviously just a personal opinion, but he had exceptional pace, could score from range, link and create. He was unplayable really. Some of the goals he scored were unbelievable solo efforts.

Henry kicked on from a pretty modest start at Monaco into a goal machine at Arsenal really epitomising everything Wenger was trying to do. Bellamy on the other hand spent that part of his career falling out with Souness and Shearer, getting shunted out to Celtic, had one excellent season with us, then moved to Liverpool and hit Riise with a golf club and continued he merry go round of clubs.

If he'd had his head screwed on he could have had a much better career. 

He also had injury problems from a young age, struggled to stay fully fit for a long period. The Bellamy we saw at Ewood for that one season is the best striker I’ve seen play for us in my lifetime easily, I was born in 1996 by the way if you’re wondering why I’m not saying Shearer. He singlehandedly nearly got us in the champions league! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.