BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen Rips Up Contract

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very sad to see him go, even though like many others, we all knew it was going to happen.

I somehow have this horrible feeling that he'll go somewhere else and be a success. As much as I want that to happen for him because he's a talented footballer and a great person there's part of me that doesn't. I do wish him all the best, but let's just hope this one doesn't turn out badly for us.

He was part of a very special rovers team and one that I will always remember. He was very much a part of the youth and raw talent that filled that team and made it so great to watch.

Perhaps it could be set-up that as a website (obviously for those members that wish to participate) we could send him some sort of message. Maybe something where everyone who wants to writes a little something just as a goodbye? Just an idea.

Although Matt's status is a Rovers first-team regular wasn't that long really, he was a fan favourite, my favourite Rovers player at the time, and he just had something about him that made you love the guy. Terrible luck with that accident, and we all know how the story went from there. I can't remember the last time I was more estatic about a goal then when he came on and scored vs Pompey this season....I really hoped that could be the beginning of his comeback. Sometimes things just don't work out I guess.

It is very sad situation, but he really does need to restart his career at another club where he will have a chance. All the best to him.

Edited by Mr. E

I'm pretty sure a Championship level club will be calling him in. While he won't be setting the Premiership alight any time soon, he'll probably come good not far down the ladder and who knows he could perhaps get another club promoted and into the next level.

Good luck Matty and we'll always remember you!

Sad to see him go but it may well be for the best. A real legend though and those goals at Deepdale and Cardiff are very special ones. I really hope he does well elsewhere, he deserves another chance after what he's been through. The fact he's took the decision to leave gimself has increased my respect for him, he's sacrificed something many pros wouldn't have for a shot at playing competitive football again.

Good luck Matt!

Now then

Matt your'e very much an Ewood legend tinykit.gif

thanks for the memories, the goals and we have seen many.

My personal high points

PNE away - the clinching goal for promotion, oh what a night.

Cardiff and the Worthington Cup Final, a great opening goal and you set the ball rolling.

Norwich home - a simply wonderful left foot strike.

Bumley home - a majestic goal that was superbly taken.

There are many many more and it was such a shame that England discarded your services which led ultimately to the accident that ruined a career.

You may have gone, but your goals, your performances and your simple attitude will forever be remembered by all at Ewood.

So long mate and good luck.

tinykit.gif

Perhaps it could be set-up that as a website (obviously for those members that wish to participate) we could send him some sort of message. Maybe something where everyone who wants to writes a little something just as a goodbye?

370477[/snapback]

We could have a church service and a collection , and maybe a period of mourning .... dry.gif

Very, very sad to see him go, even though like many others, we all knew it was going to happen.

I somehow have this horrible feeling that he'll go somewhere else and be a success. As much as I want that to happen for him because he's a talented footballer and a great person there's part of me that doesn't. I do wish him all the best, but let's just hope this one doesn't turn out badly for us.

370477[/snapback]

Absolutely agree with you there Eddie. I for one am sort of hoping he doesn't go to another Premier League club because I can't imagine playing against a team that has Super Matty Jansen in it.

I also really really hope he doesn't sign for one of three clubs; @#/?s, NobEnd and W@nky Wanderers. If he did, I would still remember him for the great memories but have to instantly dislike the guy for becoming a scummer overnight. It's sad I know, so please Matt don't do it. Having said all that, I doubt Bumley and NobEnders could attract him if there was a lot of interest.

Matt does live in Manchester though so Bolton, Everton, Wigan etc could be realistic choices. My money is on a return to Crystal Palace (you can go there Matt) or a similar sized Championship club such as Wolves, Leeds and Sheff Utd.

I think Matt's best goal was agaisnt Bolton on a freezing cold Friday night in League 1 - he ran towards Jaaskelainen, feinted and the slid the ball into the net in front of the rovers fans - magic goal.

I hope Matt prospers where ever he goes , the club have been really supportive of him, many others would have cut loose a long time ago.

I think that, if and when he does leave, sunderland would be a good move for him, there make a lot of chances, but lack a forward of class which he is, and if they do go down he could rebuild himself just as sunderland will do if they go down thumbs-up.gif

At the start of the season I hoped that Matt might get a few first-team starts during this campaign, but sadly it hasn't worked out and his departure became increasingly inevitable as the season progressed.

The seven-year marriage between Rovers and the likeable lad from Cumbria began in January 1999, with a spectacular goal on his debut against Spurs - in front of over 29,000 at Ewood Park.

His played an integral role during our promotion season of 2000/2001, scoring 23 goals that season, including the vital headed goal at Deepdale, two strikes in the 5-0 win over Burnley and a last-minute winner in a crucial clash at home to Birmingham on Boxing Day.

The following season his hat-trick against Arsenal in the League Cup set us on the road to Cardiff, where he scored the opening goal in the final against Spurs. The week after the League Cup triumph, he scored a crucial late equaliser at the Reebok stadium against Bolton, which helped to stave off the threat of relegation.

As FLB said, if only Sven had picked him for the 2002 World Cup. Sadly the motorcycle accident that summer in Italy, where he sustained life-threatening head injuries and was in a coma for four days, obviously had a huge impact on his career during the following seasons.

"I was very, very groggy when England were playing Brazil – to be honest I wasn't really sure what was going on," he said. "The doctors in the hospital in Rome kept asking me questions about the game and what was happening. I wasn't 100% when I returned to England."

Matt did score twice during a 4-1 FA Cup 3rd round win at Villa Park in 2003, but those were to be his last goals for Rovers that season. He was loaned to Coventry the following month in February, where he was only a moderate success, scoring two goals in nine games at Highfield Road.

Matt gained a first-team start during the opening game of the 2003/04 season, when Rovers thrashed Wolves 5-1 in a fine performance at Ewood. Sadly it was to be a false dawn for both Matt and Rovers. After Christmas, Jansen only started in one game before the end of what was to be a wretched season for the club - nearly culminating in relegation under Souness.

There was a brief ray of hope on Sparky's debut as Rovers manager, in September 2004, when Matt scored the only goal of the game against Portsmouth. We hoped that things might be different for him under a new manager. But that was perhaps a case of the heart ruling the head, and a full Jansen recovery was always going to be a slim possibility.

The prophets of doom (or the voices of reason) from older sages like Thenodrog told us that we were being silly soppy sentimental fools and that Matt wouldn't be the same player again. The heart hoped for a miracle, but the head felt that Gordon was right.

This season Jansen has started in only one game, away to Bolton and in the last three months the only Premiership action that Matt has seen came against West Ham at Ewood, coming on as a sub in the last minute.

I kept an eye on Matt's career from an early age, because a friend of mine who supports Carlisle raved about his ability as a teenager and said that he was the most gifted player he had seen in a Carlisle shirt at Brunton Park since Peter Beardsley. So I was especially pleased when Jansen joined Rovers from Crystal Palace seven years ago.

At his peak Matt was a fine player, who played a pivotal role in our return to the top flight and our Worthington Cup success. As long as he doesn't join Burnley or Birmingham, I wish him well wherever he goes next.

Only just seen all this, haven't read the articles yet, but if it is as it seems and he is going then Good Luck Matt - i'm sure it won't be the last we see of him.

-------------------

There's only one Matt Jansen!

Edited by Ben-2000

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.