BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the chat on Krakow and Rotterdam, is it me or have I missed any posta from Basle or Nancy fans?Are we extending a warm Lancashire welcome and telling them what to do in our town prior to the match?

I would guess that part of the reason is that often Swiss or especially French people have far less of a command of English than Polish or Dutch people do. Whereas Polish or Dutch are langauges just about useless outside their own borders, the swiss and French dont have to worry so much about speaking another language, kinda like us lazy gits!

I don't think there is the same passion about following football in France and Switzerland as you will find in the UK, Poland and the Netherlands. Marseille has a fanatical following who travel but you don't see mass movements to away games in France and Switzerland in the way you get the feeling that half the country is on the move on Saturdays in England.

Anyway, a warm welcome to anyone from Basel or Nancy.

Edited by philipl

i have just stumbled out of my pit and just come across this computer , what a bloody good result, just avoided some local d***headss last night and must have got back to the hotel on auto pilot. setting off back in 5 minutes

Whereas Polish or Dutch are langauges just about useless outside their own borders,

They speak Dutch in Belgium (Flemish is not a language we share the same language), parts of northern France, Surinam, the Dutch Antilles and in South Africa as well. More people do have Dutch as their first language as all Scandinavian languages together. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

They speak Dutch in Belgium (Flemish is not a language we share the same language), parts of northern France, Surinam, the Dutch Antilles and in South Africa as well. More people do have Dutch as their first language as all Scandinavian languages together. :blink:

Sorry pal, that wasn't a dig at the Dutch language or anything, its just a simple fact of life. Outside of Belgium and Holland, the language is not used in an important basis (not much relevance to europe for Dutch Antilles or surinam) so that is why you make the effort to learn English, French or German, more worldly langauges. They speak Afrikaans in South Africa a different langauge.

Edited by BRFC4EVA

• 4 weeks later...

With the night's Champs League games drawing to a close, it is looking likely that we are going to see some interesting names in the knock out round draw.

Steau Bucharest are as good as certain to be there and at the moment Arsenal (despite taking the lead just now- will they get a point in Porto without Henry?), Benfica and Lille could be in the mix. Tomorrow night's games could see Barca as good as going into the UEFA.

Of course, Rovers need a point from the last two games to be certain of being in the draw but where we finish is going to be critical. If I remember correctly, only one second placed team from the UEFA groups has survived the encounter with the third placed CL team dropping into the UEFA.

Traditionally, the top placed teams have wiped out the third placed teams they play in the knock out rounds but as things stand going into Thursday night's games, the third placed teams in most groups are the big name favourites.

I was surprised that so many people on here thought we had an easy group. To my mind it was a hard group and we have done fantastically well to get to where we are so far. Feyenoord are the obvious favourites while Basle are a really decent side with a far better track record in Europe than we have and you could probably say the same about Krakov.So far though we have been superb and should qualify now. I don't see there being many top teams coming out of the Champs League but anyone who does will probably be expected to beat the likes of us but if we can play like we have so far we can beat anyone in the competition.

Watched the Celtic v Utd game tonight and the result was just a little too deja vu for my liking!!!

LUCKY CELTIC.

Absolute skill it was! (*joke*)

That was one of the scariest games of football I've ever been at. When Manure got the penalty....... All hail King Artur.

And now on to Rotterdam! Which should be a LOT of fun!!!

I would guess that part of the reason is that often Swiss or especially French people have far less of a command of English than Polish or Dutch people do. Whereas Polish or Dutch are langauges just about useless outside their own borders, the swiss and French dont have to worry so much about speaking another language, kinda like us lazy gits!

Nancy also won't have as many supporters. I would imagine that they'll have a good number who speak English though, I'll try and get some on before our game against them.

The additions to the UEFA Cup from the Champions League are beginning to become clearer with one round left.

Lille, Steaua, Bordeaux and Sporting Lisbon are either cerain or as good as to be joining the Uefa Cup.

Mancs v Benfica will decide which of those two will be in the UEFA whilst there is a three way scrap between Roma, Olympiacos and Shaktar.

Intriguingly, both last year's finalists; Barca and Arsenal could well be dropping into the UEFA. Even if they don't, the addition of CSKA and Werder will hardly make the UEFA an easier competition to win.

PSG the somewhat surprising "big" name in trouble after last night's results.

Rovers, bar codes and spuds- thre injury hit out of form bottom half of the table Premiership clubs are having a stroll in the UEFA. We cannot all be in weak groups.

Probably a sign of the economic power of the Premiership being translated into football strength.

Having said that, both Arsenal and the Mancs are one poor performance away from CL elimination.

Found this from last night's FC Basle & Nancy game:

Good save hey, not bad for a outfield players anyways

The draw was good for us as well. So all his good :)

the basle keeper is having a mare in this seasons uefa cup.

good pen save by i think it's petric, hero n all and the points shared is well good for us.

If you want to play "what if" games, the 3rd placed clubs at present are:

Livorno (nice seaside town in Tuscany - home of the Italian Communists)

Bruges (very nice and we will get a warm welcome from Cercle fans)

Liberec (party time but everyone will miss the train north from Prague to the Polish border)

Odense (cold and wet)

Ajax (no need to go to Rotterdam either)

Rapid Bucarest (very cold and dodgy)

Palermo (very dodgy but a fantastic city)

The UEFA games this week will mean the tables will become much more settled. In our group, it is crunch time for Basle as they play their last game whilst Feyernoord can more or less forget about progress if they lose at Nancy.

To repeat, the last 32 is drawn 3rd v 1st (second leg favouring clubs coming top) and 2nd v CL 3rd (second leg favouring the CL drop-outs). Draw arranged so clubs from the same country don't play each other and you cannot play clubs previously encountered in the Group stage. Draw for the two rounds after this one have no seeds and no protections.

Edited by philipl

Just wondering what results we are hoping for this week. I guess 2 draws wouldn't be too bad. That would leave it in our own hands.

We could do with hitting a bit of form before we play Nancy as they are a fairly strong team. They do appear to have a few problems away from home so we should be looking to top the group.

Interestingly if we finish 2nd we are a little more limited in possible fixtures as we could not play Spurs, Newcastle, or the tam that finishes top of our group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.