BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats stupid though. Where do we debate and give our opinions on what Nicko has said. Yes there is a different thread for New summer signings or whatever its called but why the hassle, its going to result in the same amount of posts?

READ PAGE ONE

You have Castillo coming in and Andrews [yes, afraid so] is also very much lined up.

Andrews?! This is getting beyond a joke.

This is worse than Fowler, sure I was angry when I found out about Fowler but at least he was free. From what I've read Andrews will cost 1.5 million. What the hell is Ince playing at?!

Am I right in thinking that Andrews has played alongside Ince at Wolves?

I will openly welcome ANY player Ince signs, we have seen Bruno Berner arrive from the Swiss league for crying out loud! Is this any better than our third tier of football?

Any ideas of a fee Nicko?

Isn't the key phrase "Ince trusts him". The manager, particularly in a situation like Ince's coming in from a lower league,with probably a degree of scepticism from players towards his management, needs eyes and ears in the dressing room. Seem to remember Robbie Savage on Soccer am saying the other lads used to send him to ask "his dad" ie Mark Hughes about things. Suspect with Andrews there's an element of that close manager/player relationship. Ince must think he can play a bit too obviously or he wouldn't fit in here at all, but I think it's also going to be about giving the manager what support he can too.

Am I right in thinking that Andrews has played alongside Ince at Wolves?

I will openly welcome ANY player Ince signs, we have seen Bruno Berner arrive from the Swiss league for crying out loud! Is this any better than our third tier of football?

Any ideas of a fee Nicko?

Just reading a Watford forum (who have been linked) - and even they think he will only be a squad player at their level.

It is a huge ask for a player to go up as many levels.

However - Nelsen wasn't exactly playing at a high level before joining us - so you never know. Sometimes it is how a player fits into a system - but from his profile - he sounds very much like Reid. A strange signing - but will reserve judgement until seen him play.

Isn't the key phrase "Ince trusts him". The manager, particularly in a situation like Ince's coming in from a lower league,with probably a degree of scepticism from players towards his management, needs eyes and ears in the dressing room. Seem to remember Robbie Savage on Soccer am saying the other lads used to send him to ask "his dad" ie Mark Hughes about things. Suspect with Andrews there's an element of that close manager/player relationship. Ince must think he can play a bit too obviously or he wouldn't fit in here at all, but I think it's also going to be about giving the manager what support he can too.

But paying around/over £1million is a lot of money if it is just to "support" the manager?

Can we have a Keith Andrews thread please so we can discuss him on there???????

I get so tired of hearing this. Do you honestly think people would automatically welcome him if he was being signed from Serie C?

Change the C to a B and it's worked before. Remember Grabbi? What was he good at? Hair? I guarantee that if he was called Dave Smith, had a crew cut and was signed from Brentford he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

Is it Andrews? I haven't seen him play, neither I doubt have most of you. Could it be someone else? What about Ivan Campo? I'm no detective but nicko did use the word 'free' when describing this player. Then again I'm probably reading too much into that word.

In which case it may well be Keith Andrews. "Boo! Hiss! Get him off! Rubbish! Which one is he?!" etc. Perhaps Alan Moekena is off and Ince is bringing him in as the next scapegoat?

If Andrews is coming in - then so be it. Trust Ince until you see his full plans come to light.

Im sure the board wouldnt allow him to sign someone if they didnt trust him - so we should trust him.

This Castillo fella looks quite handy, Juve wouldnt be interested for nothing! Hopefully if we can sign a creative midfielder too (hopefully who nicko is aware of) then I believe we can have a much better midfield next season and much more balanced.

Probably being thick here Nicko but could you clarify....

You mentioned Castillo, Andrews (shudder) and a yet to be named target. Is the unamed target an attacking midfielder/central midfielder? ie is the unamed target a replacement for Bentley or would we pursue a fourth player such as Pennant for that position.

Looking at the numbers potentially available in the middle next year, are we likely to offload a couple - possibly Reid & Mokoena?

Sorry if the above has aleady been explained, couldn't seem to find a clear post.

ta

Nicko, any idea of the squad size Ince ideally prefers? Will Andrews, who might not be a certain starter, push someone else out or is it too early for Ince to start trimming the squad by selling the likes of Gallagher, Mokoena and Rigters? Seems to me like we're selling our best players and bringing in squad players, maybe except Castillo who I've never seen in action.

Right back + Castillo and capable replacements for Bentley and Friedel if they go, but no one else from the top drawer - correct?

Can't understand how aqndrews will fit in, at 27 he has never played top flight football so even mokoena is more experienced.

If Ince wants him for the dressing room what does he want fowler & the 20 other backroom staff for?

I hope im wrong but this all just smells of jobs for the boys so far!!!!

Think about it people! Just for now lay aside all your fears and pre-set ideas and prejudices, and ask yourself a series of questions:

1) Was Ince a top quality midfielder in his own playing career?

2) Does Ince know a good prospect when he sees one, especially when he has played alongside or coached him at 3 different clubs?

3) Is Ince able to make a judgement on what it takes to make a good midfield player in the EPL?

4) Is Ince trying to make his name as a top class manager, and does he recognise the risks involved?

5) Is it likely that Ince is going to risk blowing his chance of making the grade in Q4?

I am asking myself all these questions as well as asking you to do it. I look forward to seeing the various answers with reasons (no hysterical nonsense please).

Yes but souness, who wasnt a bad midfielder, thought Barry ferguson would be able for the premier league & also gave Jonathon Douglas a long term contract!!!

Think about it people! Just for now lay aside all your fears and pre-set ideas and prejudices, and ask yourself a series of questions:

1) Was Ince a top quality midfielder in his own playing career? YES

2) Does Ince know a good prospect when he sees one, especially when he has played alongside him at 3 different clubs? To me a prospect is aged between 16-21 having just impressed at a reasonable level - not a 27 year old in division 3,

3) Is Ince able to make a judgement on what it takes to make a good midfield player in the EPL? Should be - but we will find out in the next 6 months

4) Is Ince trying to make his name as a top class manager, and does he recognise the risks involved? Yes, but he's certainly not media savvy enough yet

5) Is it likely that Ince is going to risk blowing his chance of making the grade in Q4? Only results/style of play/trophies will give him a chance of making the big 4 jobs. Fowler (trial acknowledged) and potentially this Andrews chap would suggest this is unlikely - even Castillo is a gamble, could be inspired, could be a waste of space.

It will certainly make for an interesting season.

BRAD FRIEDEL - I understand Villa have now said they WILL pay the £2.5 million fee, but want it done by the weekend. This has been discussed further today and Martin O'Neill is desperate to do it.

PAUL ROBINSON - Rovers have been on to Tottenham and are trying to buying him ON HIS OWN which is a good move. They don't want to discuss the Bentley sale. They only want Robinson just now because of the Friedel bid. I think the club would like to help Friedel and do Robinson as soon as possible. I believe Rovers would pay around £3.5 million for Robinson...over to you Tottenham.

CASTILLO - Is convinced he is coming to sign, I think there may some messing with the fee, but in the end I believe he will sign, Paul Ince wants him, so if the fee is right then it will happen.

ANDREWS - People I trust tell me this deal is done. It is just a matter of when it is announced. I said something about a 'good day to bury bad news' last week and that is almost certainly the case. You have to let the new boss sign who he wants and see how it works out.

ROBBIE SAVAGE - Poor old Robbie is on his way out at Derby.

AIMAR - Newcastle messed up again.

So that is potentially THREE players in and ONE out for Rovers...with Bentley still to be decided.

I know no more, I'm knackered and will answer any queries in the morning. I think most areas have already been touched on.

Archived