BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley V Blackburn Rovers

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick mention, I thought Givet was outstanding yesterday. 100% committed in everything he did and didn't lose out on a ball all game. Good to see that even though he's only been with the club for just over a year, he knew how much this meant.

Givet was our MOTM I think...

They don't look 20 though - and the youngest one (hidden at the back) must be all of 3?

Like I say, cheap point scoring at the expense of kids, shameful really

You're losing any sort of credibility with that comment.

Well then, after what seems to have been the longest shift at work ever, I am now reaching the point where a really early night is called for.

A cracking day out ended last night and this morning saw me get out of bed at 0500hrs with a serious hangover, it felt like I had been hit over the head with something wooden (maybe a seat eh?).

I have nhad a good read through the comments and fair play to longsider for keeping to his word.

It was great to meet up with abbey again and share a drink, we go back to the early 80's and have travelled far and wide watching our beloved team through the years. Also nice to see Jordan back at the blues bar, caught a glimpse of scotty enjoying a pint whilst as usual saw bazza and den just behind us in the ground. Sorry captain mike, couldnht get you a beer as they shut the bar !

Looking back at yesterday what a bloody good decision to let Rovers fans take their drink into their seats, the stadium underpass just couldnt accomodate us especially with 20 coaches still to arrive. People were uncomfortable with the crush so I applaud that decision.

The fans of Rovers deserve enornmous credit MINUS the very minority who thought smashing seats was acceptable. The humour in the songs was well meant, the lead up to the game suited Rovers with the choice of songs and whilst the blue and white hordes sang their hearts out for the whole 3 hours we heard nothing from our claret counterparts. Just how odd was that ?

Through the decades Rovers v Burnley have always been a fantastic atmosphere for both sets of fans, I got the impression that burnley supporters are simply not up for it anymore, I dont mean just Rovers game I mean the Premiership in general. Bob Fleming put it into perspective in that they were only visiting.

I suspect the reality is that Burnley were never prepared for top flight football. A two sided stadium, a poor training set up, a low budget squad and a team with very little experience. Even under Coyle I dont beleive Burnley would have ever survived. Further to that, I am certain fans will be asking about the money and where has it gone because when they take the drop they wont have anything to show for it. No ground upgrade, no training upgrade, no players that have been bought for profit when they eventually move on in fact it appears from my point of view that the background staff have lined their own pockets as has been mentioned on Burbkey supporter forums. They still retain a large debt and the parachute payments they receive will hardly cover the current wage bill as they drop deeper and deeper down the tables.

Going back to the match, it wasnt a classic derby. Rovers won comfortably even if the penalty was dodgy. We are a team that has suffered some horrendous ref blunders over the years so to gain 3 points courtesy of a referee cock up is ok by me.

Yesterday was simply about the fans of both clubs, the bragging rights, the history and the rivalry of both clubs. the fans or the majority won the day. Some idiots from both sides tried to ruin it but the truth is they couldnt.

I was not happy initially with the poloicing operation but the reality is it worked a treat. The security decision making was spot on and Burnley stewards have to be applauded.

Finally, how brave was the ginger haired programme seller who stood in the corner at the back of our stand ? Wearing a burnley shirt he took the banter well untilo he was rescued by 5 stewards and 4 Police Officers. HATS OFF TO THE GINGERHAIRED BOY.

Gloating is common amongst football fans. I am sorry longsiders, ranoff, the bogoff man, bertie bee, tony livesey aka fatboy, the idiot mp who is a burnley fan and emmerdales cast, it is gong to be a lot longer than the current 31 years and counting before you will see the history books changed.

Being a Rovers fan I had warmed recently to the arrival of our enemy and the return of derby matches, I now mourn their loss until such time we meet again in a cup competition.

Now then, where and when is that party ?

• Backroom

For those who said it was embarassing borrowing songs from Villa, songs start somewhere and I thought yesterday the Kumbaya verses worked perfectly and sounded great.

'We're having a party when Burnley go down' ad nauseum was the chant of the day though

'We're having a party when Burnley go down' ad nauseum was the chant of the day though

Yea, especially seeing as it's stuck in some peoples heads including Alastair Campbell and I'm more than pleased to have something like that stuck in that spin doctor head because he's a sh!t. :)

They don't look 20 though - and the youngest one (hidden at the back) must be all of 3?

Like I say, cheap point scoring at the expense of kids, shameful really

Cheap point scoring? Mate, you've spent a whole page nit picking about the mascots being younger then somebody had suggested.

Expense of the kids? What that the Rovers mascot was showing his support to the team? Thats not particularly shamefull and to take it this seriously is pretty sad.

Anyway, Great win, being in the top half is a massive boost for the club.

Frankly i didnt think we'd ever get this high with this squad but full credit to Sam. It hasnt been pretty but i dont think there are many managers out there who could have gotten so much out of so little.

.... my guess is because they are proper lads and prefer an enemy that can fight back, seems it's just some PNE and Rovers fans who need to make themselves feel big by smashing inanimate objects - times may change, other things don't ;)

Fair play to you for coming back on here as promised longsiders but, it's with comments like these that, every now and then, you let your guard drop with regard to hooligan activities. I remember you posting on here after the 2005 Ewood FA Cup game saying that Burnley fans walked into Blackburn unopposed and what a welcoming place it was, or words to that effect. In other words you were gloating that there were no Rovers fans prepared to have a go. Whilst you may have mellowed a bit now, I get the impression you were a bit of a naughty boy twenty years or so ago.

Did anyone see Tony Livesey on look northwest tonight. He looked gutted & the other presenter read out some emails directed at him from Rovers fans! :lol: I`m also wondering if the weathergirl had put a big dark cloud over Bumley on purpose :glare:

A great day, even if i only watched it on telly. We kicked every ball & sang every song with the lucky few who got tickets. You guys were immense on the telly. Totally outsung the retards on their own patch! :tu:

On a more even note, i reckon some things were pretty equal.....we got 6pts & they got 6 fingers! :lol:

COYB!!!!!!!!!!

For those who said it was embarassing borrowing songs from Villa, songs start somewhere and I thought yesterday the Kumbaya verses worked perfectly and sounded great.

:tu:

Not going to read all this thread - will be too painfull - but I did promise to come back on, win, lose or draw.

For the record, my view on the major events of the match:

The offside, wasn't offside.

The penalty. It may be part of the game but I still hate blatant cheating and I would say the same if it had been a Burnley player. Also struggle to understand how a referee can see enough to know a foul was comitted but not to send of the player for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Our 'penalty' - I've heard Andy Grey arguing it was a penalty but I never thought it was and having watched all the replays I still don't. It was a foul and a booking as was given.

The shot that hit the bar - I didn't think the whole ball crossed the line and certainly not one replay I've seen shows it. As such I think the ref got that one right.

Overall it was an average game in which you were comfortable. We simply did not create anything of note and struggled to deal with the cheating Swede who had the measure of the defence for the enitre game. I didn't think you were particularly impressive which makes the defeat and our non performance even more difficult to take. Fair play to your fans though, made lots of noise.

Bye for now, I'm off to lick my wounds.

Your one of the VERY few I can stand...fair play to you Longsider.

I watched the game at work with my mate, he's a useless dingle, and he was papping on about the 12th man and how Rovers players and fans would be ###### themselves before the game. He stormed off out the door at 5 to 2 with a right ###### on, and me laughing my tits off at him, and never came back. Now he's up for a bollocking from the boss! :lol:

I thought Rovers weren't great, but I do think we were organised and had just that little bit extra in most, if not all positions. We had a bit more experience and a bit more confidence to our play due to recent results.

Acid test Den. Burnley are virtually down so which if any of their players would you wish to see sign for BRFC?

I cannot think of any that are better than the ones that we already have apart from just maybe signing the old timer who imo would surely put in a better shift than our Keith. This is no dig at Longsider but the rest of em simply are not of sufficient Prem quality. Now if any of Hull/ WHU / Pompey go down I'm sure that we could find quite a few players that we would covet.

when I rewatched it on Sky it looked like Niko was sat by himself in the dugout with the rest of the subs together, can anyone confirm?

Nah likely he'd be cowering out of sight in the press box in heavy disguise with one of those Groucho Marx false wig, glasses and nose kits on. In fact he's prob still hiding there waiting for the coast to clear before making a dash for his car. :lol:

Archived