BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

Looking at it i'm not sure Sam knows what he wants when it comes to a striker.

Pretty much as soon as the season ended he was talking about bringing in a goalscorer as the top priority. Just before the world cup he says he is looking for a goalscorer and that he wants to do business before the tournament started. During pre-season he says we need another goal threat up front. He then talks to the press a few days after the Everton game rueing the missed chances and that he needs another goalscorer.

You see a pattern here, he is looking for a goalscorer... And his solution? 32 year old Benjani.

Benjani that was on loan at Sunderland last season and didn't score any goals. Benjani that only scored 4 goals at City. Benjani that has only ever had a really prolific spell as a goalscorer at Jomo Cosmos between 1999-2002 and he had a brief period of scoring goals 2007-8 at Pompey.

Those of you that say “Well we have the goalscorer in Kalinic and Diouf so why don't we sign Benjani as a workhorse to bring others into play and they can score the goals”. Look at our midfield, apart from Dunny i can't see any of them chipping in with a decent number of goals in a season, for example 10. And looking at Dunny's great start to the season i wonder how many games he will end up playing this season.

I agree with Maj I would rather look elsewhere, perhaps bring in another loanee from abroad. I’d rather take a gamble on an unknown or out of favour player abroad than a past it Benjani.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at our midfield, apart from Dunny i can't see any of them chipping in with a decent number of goals in a season, for example 10.

I agree with Maj I would rather look elsewhere, perhaps bring in another loanee from abroad.

A loan would involve a fee, Bolton paid £1.3 million to have Klasnic last season, for example.

I can't believe you give 10 goals a 'decent' amount for a midfielder. It's an amazing return for a midfielder. Dunn scored more than any midfielder outside the top three teams last year.

It's obvious we can't afford better than Kalinic or Diouf. You're right in saying our midfield don't contribute enough goals, which is why Sam is looking at players like Popov.

I'd rather we used all our money to get a goalscorer in midfield and get a cheap backup option as our other striker. Benjani fits the bill for me, providing we thoroughly test that knee.

The problem is Sam keeps going out to the press saying how we need a goalscorer which shows that we are getting more and more desperate. As we get more desperate the prices of the players are going up and they are becoming further out of reach. This means that we are left to scraping the barrel and trying to find out who we can get in on a free. At the moment it does look like Benjani and/or Perea depending on how their tests go. I think the best we can wish for is a decent striker in on loan which means we can't waste our remaining loan on someone like Greening.

• Backroom

If his knee is ok and he'll take a low wage Benjani is we worth a shout in my opinion.

Interestingly some people have championed Derbyshire on here before and he has a worse goals / games ratio in England I imagine.

I'd much rather take benjani and a Dunn replacement / alternative than spend a lot on a striker

We have just let 2 of our keen supporters go to Rangers and Big Club. One was a goalscorer and the other(Derbs) is only a goalscorer.

The one thing that unites them is that they can chase and harry when we do not have the ball. Mystifying 'snakes and ladders' search

for a strike partner/super sub.

Go back to Litex and get Popov on 'probation'. He will be playing at Wembley in under 2 weeks !!

Sorry its totally unprofessional to even think about Benjani.. totally unprofessional !

It stinks that hes a possible, as an Englishman the ferker above should not even be plying his trade in this country period.

His agent wants his arse kicking for playing a tiny part in damaging English football by having Benjani on these shores.

:angry2:

Well that has to be a front runner already for "over the the top response 2010-11 season". you have beaten even your own record there Jal!

Why is he? Benjani was excellent in the game in question, Hughesy is right about that. He's a capable player who is more than good enough to be our 3rd or 4th choice - the only worry is over his dodgy knee. If he passes the test then it's up to Sam - he can't do any more than what we ask.

Bloody hell - If T4E is agreeing then I must be right :lol:

Are you some kind of automated Rovers pr machine?

I will give him the benefit of the doubt

You answered it yourself....I just like to trust our manager who has proved VERY good so far when it comes to player choice - if he says he's good enough, then more than likely he will be right. Call me a glass half full kind of guy! :tu:

I think with Roberts I would take 1 million just to get him out of the club and off our wage bill,

There is absolutely no way we are going to get £1m for JR. The sad truth is .....NOBODY wants him and certainly not if a fee is involved. The only way we we are going to shift him out is by paying up his contract. Rather than do that I would keep him for the remainder of his time as a bench player. He has shown himself to be more than useful in that role,

Never mind what Benjani did or did not do, Andrews was dire in that 4-1 defeat at City! Watching the goal highlights brought the nightmare back again.

Quite correct , in fact wasn't that the the game he and Allardyce came to blows?....allegedly of course

The problem is Sam keeps going out to the press saying how we need a goalscorer which shows that we are getting more and more desperate. As we get more desperate the prices of the players are going up and they are becoming further out of reach. This means that we are left to scraping the barrel and trying to find out who we can get in on a free. At the moment it does look like Benjani and/or Perea depending on how their tests go. I think the best we can wish for is a decent striker in on loan which means we can't waste our remaining loan on someone like Greening.

Won't make a lot of difference. Anyone with half a brain can see that without opening the paper. As O'Leary's in the Middle East and Keegan's retired, every manager we're going to deal with will know exactly how desperate we are.

Looking at it i'm not sure Sam knows what he wants when it comes to a striker.

Pretty much as soon as the season ended he was talking about bringing in a goalscorer as the top priority. Just before the world cup he says he is looking for a goalscorer and that he wants to do business before the tournament started. During pre-season he says we need another goal threat up front. He then talks to the press a few days after the Everton game rueing the missed chances and that he needs another goalscorer.

You see a pattern here, he is looking for a goalscorer... And his solution? 32 year old Benjani.

Benjani that was on loan at Sunderland last season and didn't score any goals. Benjani that only scored 4 goals at City. Benjani that has only ever had a really prolific spell as a goalscorer at Jomo Cosmos between 1999-2002 and he had a brief period of scoring goals 2007-8 at Pompey.

Those of you that say “Well we have the goalscorer in Kalinic and Diouf so why don't we sign Benjani as a workhorse to bring others into play and they can score the goals”. Look at our midfield, apart from Dunny i can't see any of them chipping in with a decent number of goals in a season, for example 10. And looking at Dunny's great start to the season i wonder how many games he will end up playing this season.

I agree with Maj I would rather look elsewhere, perhaps bring in another loanee from abroad. I’d rather take a gamble on an unknown or out of favour player abroad than a past it Benjani.

Sam had a massive 2M+ to spend and he couldn't get a top class striker in a hurry! What a loser! :blink:

If JAL is against it, I know I'm in the right.

Benjani is harmless, he will probably become a fans favourite if his knees hold up.

Thats great Bucky, someone in Leeds telling us Blackburn lads whats right for Rovers cheers Bucky.

lol Tash!

It has comfortably gone 12 noon and no announcements of any signings so any rush to have the holes patched up ahead of the Brum game has not produced anything.

Next week will inevitably change in nature as Villa are now in funds and more players look at their absence from the bench and reach for their agents' mobile numbers fearing the chop from the chosen 25 if their club make a last week signing or two.

both Benni and RSC were injury prone, so the argument about Benjani's injury is not the real reason why people dont want him. Im happy to give him a chance, IF he is fit and not going to cost us much.

The key though, is who is THE other signing along with Benjani. If its the Bulgarian Popeye, then ill happily take Banjoni as the 4th choice striker.

He will be on virtually nothing, compared to Roberts and who knows, he might be a little more motivated to prove that he can play in the league. If he stays motivated for say 6 months, then we will at least benefit from it until Uncle Syed gives Sam more money.

How has Edixon Perea done, anybody know?

Well that has to be a front runner already for "over the the top response 2010-11 season". you have beaten even your own record there Jal!

Just looking at the bigger picture Fife after the recent crap perfomances of the national team, for me certain average foriegners should not be plying their trade here and for Rovers to be one that could possibly employing these wasters, takes me into rage mode pretty quickly.

For the love of our game. Rovers can do better than this it all seems like lazy management.

Does not compute :unsure:

To repair the national team your average British guy should be priority over any average ageing foreigner.

What's all the renewed hysteria about Benjani about? Has he signed?

If he has, it's a shocking signing and a complete waste of whatever money he's being paid "cheap" or not.

I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Thank you RevidgeBlue!

What's all the renewed hysteria about Benjani about? Has he signed?

If he has, it's a shocking signing and a complete waste of whatever money he's being paid "cheap" or not.

I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

They can say otherwise because its called having an opinion and unless you have powers that can see into the future we cannot say for sure whether benjani will be successful or not.

I seem to recall many posters saying that salgado would be a waste of money and his legs were gone...wait and see that's my motto.

Archived