SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I think you misunderstand, I don't think when it's quoted in the media it helps because the media often quote it out of context, but the statement was the views of the majority of the Action Group and didn't claim to be the majority of all fans. It is fait that the group is allowed to show the stance of the majority of its members.

I also feel that rumours and false wild theories gather pace very quickly. For example, the notion that the group or even Glen personally could impact the decision of our next manager is laughable IMO. Yet when people believe it and write it off as fact that is when perceptions are soured.

Wrong. They claimed 1500 or so. That's about 20% of their group. The implication is that they went AGAINST the view of 80% of their group. This is my main gripe with the statement (as well as the tarring of Sherwood and the horrific grammar).

If it was over 50% of BRAG that held this opinion, then fair enough. Using the word 'thousands' (I don't recall whether this was in the statement or from one of the committee members on here) is wrong. 1500 is not 'thousands'.

Redknapp would be great for the team and disastrous for the club. We'd probably get promoted then go bust. Look what state he left Portsmouth and Southampton in.

Personally don't know why BRAG is getting so much stick for its interventions - in normal circumstances I would agree a fans group shouldn't have influence over managerial selctions. However, if true that they did stop McKinley joining then good. Rovers didn't have to listen to them and it says more about the state of Rovers than BRAG.

BRAG or any fans group would probably choose a better manager than Shebby or the Rao family in any case....

New sky deal kicks in next year so it would be difficult for him to repeat that I would imagine. It would only be his ambition to make us good (top 8 at least) that could possibly do that

Shebby would love Redknapp here there's no doubt about that. However if his demands are huge then it may be a block from the owners.

If it was entirely Shebbys decision and Arry has already said yes it would be a done deal. Can't see him passing up the opportunity of standing side by side with one of his heroes and himself becoming a hero in the process.

You just couldn't make it up. So after 4 weeks we now have a much longer shortlist than we had 2 weeks ago but at least the people involved have decided that it might be a good idea to discuss who is going to be on the list rather than all going away and doing their own thing. We are lucky that we haven't sppointed 3 different managers at some point during this period. What we rally need is someone, anyone, to come along and start banging some heads together and telling people to get on with the job of getting a new manager and stop playing to the gallery and trying to look good in the press. Unfortunately that someone dioesn't exist at this club so from previous experience everyone will now drift off and carry on doing their own thing until God knows when. What a compelte and utter shambles.

I've been a strong backer of you over past 12 months Glen, mainly due to the protests and anti-Kean stance, I think you did a great job and received unfair critisizm for your efforts.

But in hindsight I think you should have taken a backseat once Kean was sacked, people seem to now view you as liking the spotlight more than actually doing any good and that's a pity. The chats with Singh and the name dropping is rubbing many up the wrong way and sadly is turning more and more people off.

If it was me I'd dissapear from the spotlight for a while, but that's your call not mine.

Gav - your post is absolutely spot on in its perception and reality.

Not laughable at all actually.

You now come across as a person becoming obsessed with being involved in the machinations of the club.

The name dropping is embarrassing. The ten hour calls make people cringe.

Gone are the days of yellow and black.

Gone are the days of supporting Chorley with your yellow and black banners.

Gone are the days of wanting Venkys out.

It really is time for you to retrace your steps and remember why you started this whole thing, because aims and actions now differ greatly.

+1

Glens tweet:

@glen9mullan: Harry Redknapp yes please :-) Sherwood as number 2?? Perfect set up, master n apprentice, winning ticket

Would Sherwood really consider us now. I'm sure he's aware that he's been named in a press release saying fans would go into meltdown if he was appointed as manager. Not exactly making him feel wanted here is it.

Redknapp would be great for the team and disastrous for the club. We'd probably get promoted then go bust. Look what state he left Portsmouth and Southampton in.

That's ridiculous. A manager doesn't control club finances. He hasn't left Spurs in a mess.

Almost any manager will spend money on transfers/wages if it is handed to them.

Glens tweet:

@glen9mullan: Harry Redknapp yes please :-) Sherwood as number 2?? Perfect set up, master n apprentice, winning ticket

Would Sherwood really consider us now. I'm sure he's aware that he's been named in a press release saying fans would go into meltdown if he was appointed as manager. Not exactly making him feel wanted here is it.

Also I thought our main point of not getting Sherwood as manager was the compensation we would have to pay Spuds? If this is true we are not going to pay it so he can become a number two. In any case wouldn't Arry bring Jordan with him?

Redknapp lives near Poole in Dorset - he used to commute every day to Spurs getting up at 4am so how is that going to work with Rovers ?

Redknapp like Curbishley is one of those suvverners who don't like the north and would never contemplate working or living here.

Forget him - it's a complete non-starter.

Think Redknapp is just using Rovers to push QPR/Southampton to sack their manager

Good point.

Would love to know why at 65, Harry would want a job almost 300 miles from his beloved Sandbanks' home in Dorset.

What we need is a manager fully committed to Rovers with a permanent home within a maximum of 1 hour's drive from Brockhall.

In my view, Harry is not for us.

My priority list is OGS & Holloway.

I'd would be sorely tempted to wait for OGS and leave Black in temporary charge with a bonus of £15,000 / point for every point Rovers get over the next 5 games subject to a minimum of 9 points. That would at least keep us in spitting distance.

That's ridiculous. A manager doesn't control club finances. He hasn't left Spurs in a mess.

Almost any manager will spend money on transfers/wages if it is handed to them.

Perhaps, but I don't see Redknapp + Venkys as a recipe for financial stability myself. He wouldn't come if he couldn't spend. Don't get me wrong - under a sensible set of owners I'd take Redknapp in a heart beat.

Glens tweet:

Sigh...............

Good point.

Would love to know why at 65, Harry would want a job almost 300 miles from his beloved Sandbanks' home in Dorset.

What we need is a manager fully committed to Rovers with a permanent home within a maximum of 1 hour's drive from Brockhall.

In my view, Harry is not for us.

My priority list is OGS & Holloway.

I'd would be sorely tempted to wait for OGS and leave Black in temporary charge with a bonus of £15,000 / point for every point Rovers get over the next 5 games subject to a minimum of 9 points. That would at least keep us in spitting distance.

Unless short term with Sherwood as number 2 to learn the ropes ;)

Glens tweet:

Meltdown in a positive way Ricky.

Redknapp lives near Poole in Dorset - he used to commute every day to Spurs getting up at 4am so how is that going to work with Rovers ?

Redknapp like Curbishley is one of those suvverners who don't like the north and would never contemplate working or living here.

Forget him - it's a complete non-starter.

Well said, Jim.

It's a non story too. IMO made up to sell some papers.

IF and that's a big IF, Harry redknapp is Intersted then it's a complete no brainer, he HAS to get the job, easily the best candidate and he would almost guarentee promotion. He may see rovers as a short term fix to get back into management get a big promotion bonus then move on?

I'm appealing to anybody who has any contact with Shebby ( kammy, glen Mullen etc) to tell Shebby that redknapp would be an instant hit with the fans and get everybody excited about going to ewood again.

Perhaps, but I don't see Redknapp + Venkys as a recipe for financial stability myself. He wouldn't come if he couldn't spend. Don't get me wrong - under a sensible set of owners I'd take Redknapp in a heart beat.

There is that worry I guess. But I can't think of any manager (other than someone like Wenger) who wouldn't do that same. He got caught up with some particularly dodgy owners at Pompey which tarnished his reputation a bit. I don't remember him spending heavily at Southampton, wasn't it just the fact that they got relegated that put them in trouble?

Our biggest financial worry is not getting promotion in the next two seasons (parachute money decreases after that). I think Harry would give us our best chance of getting back up.

As Jim has pointed out above though....it seems very unrealistic given that he's settled in his home down south. Can't blame him, if he's found a place where he's happy at his age then he'd be a fool to give up for Rovers.

Archived