BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Backroom

Who was your school English teacher Glen?

Come on no need for that, the guy is clearly wound up and is entitled to respond to criticism and I doubt spelling and grammar are high on his priorities.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have seen it all now, we get blasted for issueing a press release on behalf of our members regarding Rovers appointing a coach rather than a manager, and I can tell you 100% McKinlay was going to be appointed, then Flitcroft goes to watch the match as he does all the time when Chorley aint playing and then we get blasted as if we had suggested him as manager.

Quite laughable really.

I tweeted out on the day of the Charlton Match regarding Flitcroft as it was in the Chorley Guardian. I asked Gaz if there was any truth in it and he told me he had held informal discussions with people at the club. He has heard nothing since.

So my understanding reading half of these post on here, is we issued a press release which we got slated for and then everyone comes on and complains at any other name linked. Guess what guys , the appointing committee aint reading this board and your words wont be hitting home. This is why we issued a press release to ensure Rovers didnt drop an almighty one..

Seems if we do something ,its wrong, but everyone else can say/do and act how they want??

As we have told you a million times the Action Group have put NO names forward as the new Manager, I'm aware of many who are interested and many who have been spoken to by the club however any appointment I do not want on my conscence hence I have never named one.

This all boils down to Kamy's Podcast were he insinuated we had put Flitcrofts name in the ring, which was proceeded with him telling Shebby to listen to no-one. Well he got his wish because Shebby has spent the last four weeks ignoring the supporters and anyone else.

I suppose if I gave you other names like Shearer too, in which I have personally spoken to his camp, that he also can go on the BLACK LIST?

Or perhaps the Holloway camp? Shall we stick him on the Blacklist too?

I really think some people need to grow up and stop spinning completer and utter bullshit because it is just not helping the situation and is making things a million times worst!!!

To be fair it's not everyone on this board that is criticising you so don't tar everyone with the same brush. It seems to be the same few people on here who have issues with BRAG so maybe you should contact them direct. As for McKinlay, he should have never have been in the frame so well done on that one. An experienced manager is what we need; Holloway, Grayson or McCarthy would be perfect. However, with the eccentric Singh running the show it literally could be anyone. Tell Singh to leave it to Shaw next time you see him as Shaw seems to be the only one coming up with decent names.

That's the whole point glen, with all due respect, the club should be ignoring supporters when it comes to the appointment of a manager. They should talk to people in the game who know what they are talking about and then appoint someone who THEY believe, having taken soundings from sources within the game, will be the right fit for the club. To try to appease supporters is just madness and a recipe for disaster.

If thats the case then why is everybody debating about it? Or indeed saying what they will do if its the wrong appointment?

I don't personally think anyone should go on the black list or people will start complaining that there is no white list

I can't wait for this fiasco to be over, just go and get Holloway and let's wrap it up

I see what you did there.....A subtle hint of humour to diffuse an awkward situation.

Get Tom on the list Glen.

To be fair it's not everyone on this board that is criticising you so don't tar everyone with the same brush. It seems to be the same few people on here who have issues with BRAG so maybe you should contact them direct. As for McKinlay, he should have never have been in the frame so well done on that one. An experienced manager is what we need; Holloway, Grayson or McCarthy would be perfect. However, with the eccentric Singh running the show it literally could be anyone. Tell Singh to leave it to Shaw next time you see him as Shaw seems to be the only one coming up with decent names.

Totally agree with this statement

• Backroom

If thats the case then why is everybody debating about it? Or indeed saying what they will do if its the wrong appointment?

Everybody likes to vent mate

Sadly for you and Mark and others if you do people seem to assume it's part of a bigger picture, a situation I imagine you would never find yourself in.

I would like to think none of the stick or criticism you get is personal its just been a torrid time for Rovers fans and football can be an emotive issue. I hope for everyone's sake a sensible appointment is made and you and your co committee members can take a position a bit further from the gaze of the masses for a while

As supporters we all have a view who we would like but the club have to select the person who THEY believe is the best fit for the job irrespective of what supporters think. They need to talk to the professionals in the game not those of us in the stands.

Just as an aside, when John Williams appointed Ince he said something to the effect that he had listened to the fans opinions when appointing him. (Yes, i know it didn't work out well before anyone mentions it!) Anybody who thinks the fans opinions don't matter is wrong as JW knew only too well. If people think it should be solely left up to the likes of Shebby Singh and Venky's then they deserve another Kean, because another Kean is what we'll get. I'd trust the majority of fans to pick a better manager than the arrogant idiots who own/run the club.

As supporters we all have a view who we would like but the club have to select the person who THEY believe is the best fit for the job irrespective of what supporters think. They need to talk to the professionals in the game not those of us in the stands.

As long as it ain't Gerry Armstrong it seems.

:)

Just as an aside, when John Williams appointed Ince he said something to the effect that he had listened to the fans opinions when appointing him. (Yes, i know it didn't work out well before anyone mentions it!) Anybody who thinks the fans opinions don't matter is wrong as JW knew only too well. If people think it should be solely left up to the likes of Shebby Singh and Venky's then they deserve another Kean, because another Kean is what we'll get. I'd trust the majority of fans to pick a better manager than the arrogant idiots who own/run the club.

Sadly we are at a stage where the fans are better placed to pick a manager than the "board" at Ewood, this should never happen. Unfotunately it's a sign of the times.....

Well I have seen it all now, we get blasted for issueing a press release on behalf of our members regarding Rovers appointing a coach rather than a manager, and I can tell you 100% McKinlay was going to be appointed, then Flitcroft goes to watch the match as he does all the time when Chorley aint playing and then we get blasted as if we had suggested him as manager.

Quite laughable really.

I tweeted out on the day of the Charlton Match regarding Flitcroft as it was in the Chorley Guardian. I asked Gaz if there was any truth in it and he told me he had held informal discussions with people at the club. He has heard nothing since.

So my understanding reading half of these post on here, is we issued a press release which we got slated for and then everyone comes on and complains at any other name linked. Guess what guys , the appointing committee aint reading this board and your words wont be hitting home. This is why we issued a press release to ensure Rovers didnt drop an almighty one..

Seems if we do something ,its wrong, but everyone else can say/do and act how they want??

As we have told you a million times the Action Group have put NO names forward as the new Manager, I'm aware of many who are interested and many who have been spoken to by the club however any appointment I do not want on my conscence hence I have never named one.

This all boils down to Kamy's Podcast were he insinuated we had put Flitcrofts name in the ring, which was proceeded with him telling Shebby to listen to no-one. Well he got his wish because Shebby has spent the last four weeks ignoring the supporters and anyone else.

I suppose if I gave you other names like Shearer too, in which I have personally spoken to his camp, that he also can go on the BLACK LIST?

Or perhaps the Holloway camp? Shall we stick him on the Blacklist too?

I really think some people need to grow up and stop spinning completer and utter rubbish because it is just not helping the situation and is making things a million times worst!!!

Glen, I don't have anything at all against you and think you have the club's best interests at heart.

But you really do neither yourself or your group any favours with reactionary posts like this.

Glen, I don't have anything at all against you and think you have the club's best interests at heart.

But you really do neither yourself or your group any favours with reactionary posts like this.

If people was running around stating that you are trying to stop every appointment so someone else gets the job of your choice then I think you would also blow your top, especially as it has zero truth to it. One guy says something, othesr catch on and before you know it people are believing it.

I'm only human after all and when lies are spread I do have a right to clear them up

How many coaching sessions do the fans watch? What does the average fan know about a particular manager's approach to sports science? Does anybody know the routines that Billy McKinlay does at Fulham, that Sherwood does at Tottenham or that Holloway does with Blackpool? Does anyone know the man management skills these individuals have or the courses they have attended to enhance their knowledge of sports science etc. I might not like McKinaly because of what went on during his final months at the club as a player but I have no knowledge or understanding of how he has developed as a coach over the past decade. One would expect that those making the decision to have discussed these things with people in the game who have a background knowledge of all the various aspects involved in football management and coaching. Nobody is going to be right all the time - Furphy, Lee, Smith and then Iley being the perfect example or a more recent example being Souness, Hughes and then Ince - but you need to be armed with facts and figures when making these decisions and have gained as much background information as possible. Trying to appease 10,000, 13,000 or 15,000 fans with differing views is not the way to go.

• Backroom

I've calmed a bit after a few have quashed the rumours, I just hope Shebby realises that whoever is appointed some people aren't going to be happy but obviously some appointments would be a lot more popular than others. If the appointment is in the McKinley / Flitcroft mould then there will be conspiracy theories as to his motives and role in it all

Tonight I heard the best rumour yet, a Farnborough fan told me there was a rumour around that we had approached their manager, now this obviously isn't true but its not nice that our club is now seen as such a joke.

How many coaching sessions do the fans watch? What does the average fan know about a particular manager's approach to sports science? Does anybody know the routines that Billy McKinlay does at Fulham, that Sherwood does at Tottenham or that Holloway does with Blackpool? Does anyone know the man management skills these individuals have or the courses they have attended to enhance their knowledge of sports science etc. I might not like McKinaly because of what went on during his final months at the club as a player but I have no knowledge or understanding of how he has developed as a coach over the past decade. One would expect that those making the decision to have discussed these things with people in the game who have a background knowledge of all the various aspects involved in football management and coaching. Nobody is going to be right all the time - Furphy, Lee, Smith and then Iley being the perfect example or a more recent example being Souness, Hughes and then Ince - but you need to be armed with facts and figures when making these decisions and have gained as much background information as possible. Trying to appease 10,000, 13,000 or 15,000 fans with differing views is not the way to go.

I think that we all want two things - stability, and results.

Regrettably, we have had neither for the past 18 months, and the fans are worried - very worried - that the proven incompetence of the owners will extend itself to their choice of a new manager. Fans vocally expressing their opinion as to who may or may not be appropriate may be borne out of desparation at the possibility that the owners may appoint the tea lady, on the basis that some money grubbing agent recommended it because of the commission he'll get from it.

Most fans realise that we don't have the back room knowledge to judge these candidates properly from a management/skills/science/training perspective. I agree with you Parsonblue. However, I think many of us are just terrified at what Venkys might do next, and so the panic to at least get someone we have 'seen' achieve results has resulted in the outpouring of opinion (and criticism).

If we had competent owners, I don't think it would be an issue. We could trust them to do their due diligence properly and get someone in with the proper qualifications and skill set - whether an established manager or an up-and-comer.

Problem is, we don't.

If Flitcroft does get given the job and happens to be a success I take it all those who are currently disgusted by the news will still stay away from the club. Also, I still can't get it round my head how some people on here have suggested that the likes of Salgado and Neville could be good appointments despite them having no managerial experience at all.

I can't say I would be particularly happy if Flitcroft did get the job but he would still give him the chance to prove himself first. Afterall, everyone has to start somewhere.

+1

Glen when times were bleak and tough..you stood up for what you believed in. You went to lengths that 99.99% of supporters didn't. As a result you now have some perks and you know what you deserve them. Every supporter would love the chance for the club to hear their opinion, hence the posts on boards. You have that and good on ya. I'd not turn it down if I had the chance of contact with my teams hierarchy.

With position comes responsibility. In most ways you have upheld it. e.g. during shebbys wanting to employ no marks you risked losing all the perks and showed publicly your disapproval.

However now you must accept that people will always judge your actions and every word. Some will agree, some will be on the fence and some will disagree.

All you can do is calmly state your side then let the disagreers carry on.

Archived