BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

jim mk2

• Backroom

The main thing is we won if we hadn't then the gun was cocked and ready to fire, we are back to simply staring down the barrel now

Yes other teams won but the fact is we are better off than before kick off and finally have a win

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can see the three in the relegation zone going down now. We have a big advantage over those three and also Huddersfield in the form of a vastly superior goal difference.

The win today was vital I hope we've finally hit a bit of form at the right time.

Guest Norbert

If, and a big if, we beat Huddesfield on Tuesday, we'd probably have enough momentum to just about get there. A draw would keep things really tight but a loss would undo a pretty good day for us today.

Can't help remembering back to last season when it looked like we were pulling clear with not many games remaining (when papers started suggesting Kean could be manager of the year), then we returned to type and went on a losing streak.

I think we need another two wins at least. Barnsley have a weird knack of pulling out results you wouldn't expect and Wolves still have plenty of players that got them promoted in the first place, they're capable of beating teams on a good day.

Before the match, I thought the loser of the Wolves/Huddersfield match would go down. Expected Wolves to win especially after they took the lead. With key player like Sako and Ebanks-Blake out for the rest of the season and O`Hara now out for 3 games, it is going to be tough for them to stay up.

With Wolves likely to go and Bristol gone, it's anyones guess as to who the final team will be. Peterborough are in great form so dont think it will be then. Barnsley have a tough set of fixtures so they are bang in trouble. The winner of Rovers/Huddersfield will probably be safe whilst the other will be bang in trouble.

Can't help remembering back to last season when it looked like we were pulling clear with not many games remaining (when papers started suggesting Kean could be manager of the year), then we returned to type and went on a losing streak.

I think we need another two wins at least. Barnsley have a weird knack of pulling out results you wouldn't expect and Wolves still have plenty of players that got them promoted in the first place, they're capable of beating teams on a good day.

You should take a look at the players Wolves have got out injured for the rest of the season. Key, key players. Fear for them.

• Moderation Lead

We're nothing like pulling clear tbh.

A good result for us today was Barnsley getting done 6-0 at home by Charlton, if goal difference does come into it, we're much better off than they are.

Barnsley really need to beat Derby at home, they have Forest away, Hull at home and then Huddersfield away

Wolves have Hull home, Charlton away, Burnley home and Brighton away....also tough games....

Peterborough have Brighton home, Derby away, Sheffield W home, Crystal Palace away.

Different relegation, but I think it's hardly a surprise that Chris Samba and Junior Hoilett are going down again.

Hoilett too much of a luxury, doesn't work hard enough off the ball and drifts through 90 minutes, 2 goals and 1 assist tells its own story.

As for Samba, I think everyone has seen him for what he is, an average mercenary footballer. If both were as good as they thought they were they wouldn't be certainties to go down.

Similarly, Steven N'Zonzi, who is also in real danger of being relegated, blows hot and cold and really got too big for his boots after a decent first season, his temperament has once again been a liability and another who has been found out away from the 'goldfish bowl' of Ewood!

3 more names to add to the list of post Rovers flops!

Different relegation, but I think it's hardly a surprise that Chris Samba and Junior Hoilett are going down again.

Hoilett too much of a luxury, doesn't work hard enough off the ball and drifts through 90 minutes, 2 goals and 1 assist tells its own story.

As for Samba, I think everyone has seen him for what he is, an average mercenary footballer. If both were as good as they thought they were they wouldn't be certainties to go down.

Similarly, Steven N'Zonzi, who is also in real danger of being relegated, blows hot and cold and really got too big for his boots after a decent first season, his temperament has once again been a liability and another who has been found out away from the 'goldfish bowl' of Ewood!

Amazing views there Rog. All three are far better than anyone we've got. They would all walk into our side - even when we were in the Prem they were three of our better players.

Samba was a rock at the heart of our defence, immense player. Granted, he's not been as good as I expected for QPR, but it's not like he's got much of a team around him to help him out. Also, I doubt that QPR and Stoke are in a relegation battle due to the the players you mentioned, this is more of a case of them joining clubs that aren't really very good.

Barnsley really need to beat Derby at home, they have Forest away, Hull at home and then Huddersfield away

Wolves have Hull home, Charlton away, Burnley home and Brighton away....also tough games....

Peterborough have Brighton home, Derby away, Sheffield W home, Crystal Palace away.

Barnsley losing at the weekend was a huge and unexpected loss. Had that down as a banker 3 points. I also have them beating Derby as a banker 3 points. If they fail to beat Derby then they are in big trouble.

Wolves leak so many goals that they have to score 3 in a game to win. I'd be very concerned if i supported them.

I'm still fearful we will go. Tomorrow is crucial but maybe not terminal. If Barnsley win then they'd go 2 ahead of us but will struggle to win any of their remaining games imo so the situation is retrievable. If we win and Barnsley and Wolves fail to win then I think we're very close.

Samba and Hoillet are by and large class players, despite Samba regularly chucking his toys out of the pram at the first opportunity. Nzonzi is average at best and as we saw from his time here, he has a terrible attitude problem, unlike Samba he allows his discontent to translate into poor performances on the pitch.

Back on topic, win tomorrow night and I think we'll stay up. Anything other than a win and it will be extremely tight.

Samba and Hoillet are by and large class players, despite Samba regularly chucking his toys out of the pram at the first opportunity. Nzonzi is average at best and as we saw from his time here, he has a terrible attitude problem, unlike Samba he allows his discontent to translate into poor performances on the pitch.

Nzonzi distinctly average and has been playing poorly Rev? He's been voted the 5th best signing of the season.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Steven-Nzonzi-fifth-best-signing-year/story-18392197-detail/story.html#axzz2QYSOcuvP

He was also voted player of the year in the prem with Rovers.

Don't know where to start with that one in all honesty. So I'm just gonna leave it be.

Back on topic, win tomorrow night and I think we'll stay up. Anything other than a win and it will be extremely tight.

There's a distinct lack of IMOs in that post Simon.

Nzonzi distinctly average and has been playing poorly Rev? He's been voted the 5th best signing of the season.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Steven-Nzonzi-fifth-best-signing-year/story-18392197-detail/story.html#axzz2QYSOcuvP

He was also voted player of the year in the prem with Rovers.

I've seen Tony Pullis quoted as saying Nzonzi was his best ever signing.

No, I agree with this - a number of people last season thought that despite Kean and Venkys, we are too good to go down - and look what happened. As much as Kean and Venkys are to blame for all this, a little bit of the blame does have to fall on the players - and Samba was a prime example of a player that had 1 good game for every 4 average/poor ones where he cost us. N'Zonzi can pass the ball pretty good - which automatically makes him a footballing demi-god compared to the crap we have now, but he is distinctly average in any other premiership team. And Hoilett, while seemingly having great potential, is a short-burst player that you can't rely on for a full game of football.

QPR are going down because they lost early season 6 pointers to the clubs around them rather than Samba and Hoilett being poor players. Stoke won't go down just because of N'zonzi either.

What it does show is the Premier League is so competitive that even spending £100 million you can be relegated if the parts don't fit together. Managers like Allardyce and stability staff on and off the field are far more crucial than the money - as we showed for 10 years.

Got a ticket for tomorrow night so am filled with blue tinted optimism. We'll do Huddersfield by the odd goal then not lose another game.

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Guest Norbert

Made me think of Danny Baker then. If we're 3-0 up at half time you should loudly say "Nothing can go wrong now."

No, I agree with this - a number of people last season thought that despite Kean and Venkys, we are too good to go down - and look what happened. As much as Kean and Venkys are to blame for all this, a little bit of the blame does have to fall on the players - and Samba was a prime example of a player that had 1 good game for every 4 average/poor ones where he cost us. N'Zonzi can pass the ball pretty good - which automatically makes him a footballing demi-god compared to the crap we have now, but he is distinctly average in any other premiership team. And Hoilett, while seemingly having great potential, is a short-burst player that you can't rely on for a full game of football.

I can't agree. Samba is an excellent Premier League centre - half and good enough for any club. Sure he makes mistakes but so does Ferdinand and everybody else in that key position. N'Zonzi is superb at what he does, all clubs need a player who can do that kind of job and is still young for that position.

Hoilett is hot and cold and shouldn't expect to play every game but, as you say, the potential is there. We've lost 3 really good players there and it still hurts.

Archived