BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds United preview

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good hard fought win that should breed confidence..well done lads.

Good following from Leeds but still the biggest bunch of knuckleheads ever..fighting all over Bolton Rd near Lockmill service station.

Some things never change. If ever a fanbase was stuck in the 70's/80's then it's this lot. Always a classless club on and off the pitch, they and their hordes of scum are loathed the length of the country and beyond !

Good result and performance with some resolute defending in the latter stages. Hopefully Kean will draw some confidence from his terrific save which I personally thought was a turning point. Had we gone behind I don't think we would have come back. Credit to Bowyer for his tactical change which gave the outstanding Taylor the opportunity to work the space in front of their back four.

One major worry for me is how often Dann was beaten in the air by the much smaller Varney. I feared the worst when they threw the big lump on but we coped quite well with him.

Two big away games coming up and I think if we are adventurous we can get something from both of them.

What a good win that is and an enjoyable afternoon

First half we were ok but still managed to create a lot, scored at the right time after Kean kept us in it superbly and never fully looked like conceding after and could have had a couple ourselves.

I thought the first sub took us out of the game a bit but was pleased to see bowyer mix it up with the second and show that he is willing to bring off Rhodes when required

Kean - 3 or 4 amateur moment but a world class save, you can almost see his heart sink when he does something daft

Kane - get some new studs - ok otherwise

Dann - sloppy start but solid after

Hanley - solid

Spurr - great finish and solid as ever

King - messy but dangerous and at times Messi

Cairney - much better jn the middle, a real talent

Dunn - tried to make things happen and it's always possible when he's on

Taylor - superb, ran his socks off and played well in 3 positions

Lowe - did what he does well but jibbed a 50/50

Rhodes - tried harder than last week but never looked a threat

Marshall - obviously talented but frustrating

DJ - looked up for it but no real time

Interesting seeing thoughts on the ref I thought he was a homer overall

Kane played much better than you've given him credit for. Also the ref a homer? What about the blatant Varney elbow on Hanley that should have been a second yellow

Good grinding out result, Cairney universally agreed in right position, Taylor should keep place, defence settled and kept Leeds at bay - particularly 2nd half.

JR is still isolated.....would like to see him next to Gestede, but who to make way?

Two very tricky away games now before Millwall......would take two draws at this stage, before pushing on.

All very close, the need is to keep in touch until after Crimbo, and make your run then!

Kane played much better than you've given him credit for. Also the ref a homer? What about the blatant Varney elbow on Hanley that should have been a second yellow

I thought Leeds got the rough end of most of the decisions. Not that I give a damn.

No-one was particularly good for them

Thought our back 4 was solid today again, impressive clean sheet record lately

Rhodes was poor, not all his fault though, game plan completely wrong for him. DJ looked more useful given his strength.

Given that Reading and Leeds are supposed to be good/play-off contenders this league is there for the taking!

• Backroom

Good grinding out result, Cairney universally agreed in right position, Taylor should keep place, defence settled and kept Leeds at bay - particularly 2nd half.

JR is still isolated.....would like to see him next to Gestede, but who to make way?

Two very tricky away games now before Millwall......would take two draws at this stage, before pushing on.

All very close, the need is to keep in touch until after Crimbo, and make your run then!

Rhodes wouldn't be so isolated if he could read Dunn better, many times today Dunn was looking to play a ball and Rhodes went the other way

Hopefully with time they'll work an understanding

• Backroom

Rhodes wouldn't be so isolated if he could read Dunn better, many times today Dunn was looking to play a ball and Rhodes went the other way

The responsibility is both ways tbf, Dunn has to be able to read Jordan's movements as well.

Unfortunately with Dunn's injury record in mind it's unlikely they'll have enough time together on the pitch to develop a serious understanding.

A number of thoughts:

• How can the Leeds bench get away with constantly badgering the Assistant Referee - surely the 4th official has a job to do there. I haven't seen such an embarrassing display as their coach gave today, talk about bringing the game into disrepute.
  • Varney should've gone for a blatant elbow, out of sight of the referee but in front of the benches and the 4th official (although he couldn't do anything).
  • What is it about Leeds? Change the owners, the managers and the players but they are still a set of nasty characters in the way they play. Scott Sellars pointed out, many years ago, that the atmosphere at Elland Road brought an aggressive style to them.
  • Chris Taylor was magnificent, full of energy, drive and creativity. Probably the first universally supported MoM awards this season.
  • Dann and Hanley are proving to be rocks at the heart of the defence. Nice to see two successive clean sheets.

So a good day at Ewood with a deserved victory, Leeds lucky to finish with 11, oh, and Burnley lost. Excellent end to November.

I sure that will come with playing regularly now

A number of thoughts:

• How can the Leeds bench get away with constantly badgering the Assistant Referee - surely the 4th official has a job to do there. I haven't seen such an embarrassing display as their coach gave today, talk about bringing the game into disrepute.
  • Varney should've gone for a blatant elbow, out of sight of the referee but in front of the benches and the 4th official (although he couldn't do anything).
  • What is it about Leeds? Change the owners, the managers and the players but they are still a set of nasty characters in the way they play. Scott Sellars pointed out, many years ago, that the atmosphere at Elland Road brought an aggressive style to them.
  • Chris Taylor was magnificent, full of energy, drive and creativity. Probably the first universally supported MoM awards this season.
  • Dann and Hanley are proving to be rocks at the heart of the defence. Nice to see two successive clean sheets.

So a good day at Ewood with a deserved victory, Leeds lucky to finish with 11, oh, and Burnley lost. Excellent end to November.

great points and I agree.

Leeds were a very dirty side in my view. deserve a least player sent off.

The horrible Leeds fans' mentality was instilled in them by the odious Don Revie, whose equally disgraceful tactics created the legacy of a cheating and cynical football club.

Yep, Cloughie was correct in his comments about Leeds all those years ago. Nothing has changed..

The horrible Leeds fans' mentality was instilled in them by the odious Don Revie, whose equally disgraceful tactics created the legacy of a cheating and cynical football club.

Bloody good team though. A delight to watch.

As for today..... We were 2nd best for 15 mins until Bowyer did a 3 way switch... King moved to the right, Dunny to the left and Taylor in the middle. It threw me for a time and it threw Leeds too for the rest of an excellent 1st half. Taylor who imo has always looked a little lightweight to me was nothing short of magnificent today. Our new 1-4-1-4-0 formation looked good most the time but needs a proper centre forward to function consistently in my opinion. The one we have was subbed after struggling manfully but in vain for 80mins. Maybe the division has sussed him but for most of his game he found no space and he certainly didn't create any. The centre halves were predictably strong despite for once being bullied and on occasion outmuscled and that first half save by Kean should hopefully have done his lack of confidence no harm at all. A little worried that the subbing of Dunny appeared to see us play off the back foot a little and concede territorial advantage to Leeds but I'm quite used to it these days.

All in all the best match and the best performance from the rovers that I have seen for a very long time.

A number of thoughts:

The Fourth Official can advise the referee on any on and off field misconduct.

As for today..... We were 2nd best for 15 mins until Bowyer did a 3 way switch... King moved to the right, Dunny to the left and Taylor in the middle. It threw me for a time and it threw Leeds too for the rest of an excellent 1st half. Taylor who imo has always looked a little lightweight to me was nothing short of magnificent today. Our new 1-4-1-4-0 formation looked good most the time but needs a proper centre forward to function consistently in my opinion. The one we have was subbed after struggling manfully but in vain for 80mins. Maybe the division has sussed him but for most of his game he found no space and he certainly didn't create any. The centre halves were predictably strong despite for once being bullied and on occasion outmuscled and that first half save by Kean should hopefully have done his lack of confidence no harm at all. A little worried that the subbing of Dunny appeared to see us play off the back foot a little and concede territorial advantage to Leeds but I'm quite used to it these days.

All in all the best match and the best performance from the rovers that I have seen for a very long time.

We have our debates, but bob on!

Can't agree about them being a delight to watch. They had some really cynical, bully boy players. Hunter, Bremner et al really were a disgrace. Revie himself was a nasty piece of work, always looking for some underhand way to win games. The day that Celtic beat them in the European Cup at Hampden was a fantastic moment in my footballing memory. Wonderful!

Played russian roulette this week week with the ticket office and let them relocate me to wherever they wanted due to being a darwen end ST holder. Ended up in the upper tier of the JW. Thoroughly enjoyed the view and I swear the concourse had central heating ;-D. As for the game Leeds had one chance and fluffed it at nil nil. They offered nothing else really. Thought we were worthy winners in the end and wouldve been a travesty had they snatched one at the death. I enjoyed today.

Great performance & result today but this talk of "best" for a long time / this season is a little off the mark I feel. The Bolton win was, to me, the best I've seen us play in a good few years & nothing today changed that view.

That said, we were excellent to a man today & good value for 3pts against a very physical Leeds outfit.

Archived