BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Just now, arbitro said:

That is what happens when managers continually blame other things and dance around their handbags instead of facing the truth. Players will use any excuse for mediocrity but when the manager gives them one on a plate they will undoubtedly use it.

Very true. Part of a manager's job is to remove any obstacle to the team playing to the best of it's ability. Leave the players with no excuses.

Coyle has no idea how to do this. That's why he's a serial loser.

• Like 2

Yesterdays game shows why we've a decent chance of staying up regardless of Coyle. There's enough dross in this division that a few refereeing mistakes and teams not on their game and we will pick up points. Despite their recent wins as well I still have big doubts over Bristol Forest Burton and Wigan to name a few, as to whether they will pick up points with more consistency than us.

13 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Yesterdays game shows why we've a decent chance of staying up regardless of Coyle. There's enough dross in this division that a few refereeing mistakes and teams not on their game and we will pick up points. Despite their recent wins as well I still have big doubts over Bristol Forest Burton and Wigan to name a few, as to whether they will pick up points with more consistency than us.

Have they just been elected into the championship? We might have a chance then ;)

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we fail to beat rotherham ,it will be incredibly deflating for players and supporters. 

All depends on which Rotherham turns up.

The one that has nothing to lose and so will go out ( in which case we could become unstuck)

or the one thats already looking forward to the summer holidays.

• 2 months later...
Just now, davulsukur said:

Woke up, checked the league table. Nope not a nightmare, we are 4 points behind Bristol City. Our fate is not in our hands anymore.

Also a quick glance at League one made me want to cry.

The sort of teams you want in a cup draw not a league fixture.

Our GD of -8 in comparison to Bristol City makes it more like 5 points too just for good measure, absolute nightmare! 

I know what you mean about some League One teams, a few were non league when we were taken over.

Let's face it we will be amongst the relegation candidates next season in league 1 too.

Most of the squad is leaving this summer to be replaced with ???

Throw in a possible 15pt deduction for admin and its hello League 2.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Woke up, checked the league table. Nope not a nightmare, we are 4 points behind Bristol City. Our fate is not in our hands anymore.

Also a quick glance at League one made me want to cry.

The sort of teams you want in a cup draw not a league fixture.

And next season, we're going to lose to at least a few of them...

Clutching at straws now as am shocked by the implosion under TM in the last few weeks. Thought with a bit of organisation we could stay up but we've really not helped ourselves of late. Reading were vulnerable, Barnsley had nothing to play for, and even a couple of draws would have kept us well in the race.

As it is it's no longer in our hands which is even more frightening. The only faint positives I can see is that IF we can beat Bristol City then we're back in it, which with some other winnable games coming up is not out of the question at all. Problem is that we've fluffed one very winnable game, and injuries are mounting up. Add in most players won't be here next season and you feel motivation is somewhat lacking. It's still doable Imo but one more bad set of results against us and that would probably change.

Just now, Blue blood said:

Clutching at straws now as am shocked by the implosion under TM in the last few weeks. Thought with a bit of organisation we could stay up but we've really not helped ourselves of late. Reading were vulnerable, Barnsley had nothing to play for, and even a couple of draws would have kept us well in the race.

As it is it's no longer in our hands which is even more frightening. The only faint positives I can see is that IF we can beat Bristol City then we're back in it, which with some other winnable games coming up is not out of the question at all. Problem is that we've fluffed one very winnable game, and injuries are mounting up. Add in most players won't be here next season and you feel motivation is somewhat lacking. It's still doable Imo but one more bad set of results against us and that would probably change.

I'm with you.

I've seen so many strange and unexpected things happen in football over the years.  Teams simply implode and lose many consecutive games on the trot, conversely, from nowhere, teams find it in themselves to reel off a handful of consecutive wins.  Football is so unpredictable otherwise the bookies would be out of business.

Yesterday was a horrendous day with our defeat and other results but we are not dead and buried yet.

Our task is now that much harder but you just have to hope.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Think there is some truth in the fact that because some (or many) players know they will not be given a new contract, their play has suffered and performances have got to what we saw yesterday against Barnsley.

TM has a job on his hands because he needs to start from scratch and with owners as we have, now that he knows more, will he still want to be here in August??

Just now, Mercer said:

I'm with you.

I've seen so many strange and unexpected things happen in football over the years.  Teams simply implode and lose many consecutive games on the trot, conversely, from nowhere, teams find it in themselves to reel off a handful of consecutive wins.  Football is so unpredictable otherwise the bookies would be out of business.

Yesterday was a horrendous day with our defeat and other results but we are not dead and buried yet.

Our task is now that much harder but you just have to hope.

It was the manner of defeat, coupled with good performances from our rivals and next 2 opponents. I can't see us beating them. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was the manner of defeat, coupled with good performances from our rivals and next 2 opponents. I can't see us beating them. 

Understand but how many Bristol City fans thought they'd beat a rampant Wolves' team yesterday after being annihilated by 5 goals, and according to some Preston friends who were there it could have been 7, 8 or even 9, at Preston midweek?

Hopefully, there are one or two twists and turns to come yet.

Just now, Mercer said:

Understand but how many Bristol City fans thought they'd beat a rampant Wolves' team yesterday after being annihilated by 5 goals, and according to some Preston friends who were there it could have been 7, 8 or even 9, at Preston midweek?

Hopefully, there are one or two twists and turns to come yet.

Did you go yesterday, Merce?

We dominated possession but didn't look in the game at all.

I thought with playing Brown, we would be looking to invite Barnsley on to us and then play on the break - hence Mahoney. But two goals in the first 10 minutes and that game plan - if it was - was over. Barnsley could let us have the play and just get players behind the ball. Something they did very well, by the way. Mowbray underestimated how prone Brown was: no legs but no legs around him either. 

Why was Ward on the bench? If fit, surely he should start in the absence of Mulgrew (our best midfielder) and Lenihan. Also made further mockery of sending Wharton out.

Mowbray needs to wield the axe and freshen things up. Sticking with shower from yesterday (Mahoney aside) is sentimental and foolish. If we are going to rely on "young, hungry" players to survive as a club next season then we need that kind of hunger now.

Just now, Stuart said:

Did you go yesterday, Merce?

We dominated possession but didn't look in the game at all.

I thought with playing Brown, we would be looking to invite Barnsley on to us and then play on the break - hence Mahoney. But two goals in the first 10 minutes and that game plan - if it was - was over. Barnsley could let us have the play and just get players behind the ball. Something they did very well, by the way. Mowbray underestimated how prone Brown was: no legs but no legs around him either. 

Why was Ward on the bench? If fit, surely he should start in the absence of Mulgrew (our best midfielder) and Lenihan. Also made further mockery of sending Wharton out.

Mowbray needs to wield the axe and freshen things up. Sticking with shower from yesterday (Mahoney aside) is sentimental and foolish. If we are going to rely on "young, hungry" players to survive as a club next season then we need that kind of hunger now.

Thankfully, no.  The weather won and we had a great day out.

Spoke with a couple of friends who went and they were shocked, truly shocked.  Your comments therefore don't surprise me.

You are absolutely right - the axe needs wielding.  If we go down, let's at least show some fight and not go with a whimper.

My team for Forest:

Raya / Nyambe, Hoban, Ward, Williams / Mahoney, Guthrie, Akpan, Feeney / Bennett / Gallagher

KEEP LOWE OUT - about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Edited by Mercer

59 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You're right the motivation and attitude needs to change if we're going to have any chance of getting out of the mire 

Realistically I'm failing to see where or how we're going to catch teams above us.. We've only 5 games left Bristol city forest and Burton its a two game turnaround.. We have to win both games at Easter to have any chance whereas both forest and Bristol can afford to draw against us 

I don't know if anyone has taken the time to look back at the origins of this thread, the early posts.

Venkys could do far worse than put some of us lot on the board, we called it all years ago, could have saved them all the trouble and I bet posters would do it for £50k a year unlike Senior who's probably on 8-10 times that and I'd wager hasn't got the first idea how to get us out of this mess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Thankfully, no.  The weather won and we had a great day out.

Spoke with a couple of friends who went and they were shocked, truly shocked.  Your comments therefore don't surprise me.

You are absolutely right - the axe needs wielding.  If we go down, let's at least show some fight and not go with a whimper.

My team for Forest:

Raya / Nyambe, Hoban, Ward, Williams / Mahoney, Guthrie, Akpan, Feeney / Bennett / Gallagher

KEEP LOWE OUT - about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Interesting you pick on Lowe - but didn't go. If you had gone you would have seen that Hoban and Brown had absolute mares. Though I wouldn't say Lowe had a good game - he was far from the worst player on the pitch - and was one of the few busting a gut for the cause. The only bright spot was Mahoney - and he is out of contract soon - which just made it a thoroughly depressing day.

I admire your optimism about us staying up - and of course hope you are right - but yesterday we had all the hallmarks of a team destined for the drop. Injuries to key players prior to and during the match, combined with individual mistakes (that no manager can plan for) and finally we lack that bit of the rub of the green. With a little luck we would have scored the one goal that would have made it interesting - but time and time again they blocked got in last minutes challenges etc.

Also - though absolutely no excuse - the referee was poor and oblivious to their time wasting which was at times criminal.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm