BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

Next manager  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next manager?

• Jason Wilcox
    • Not Jason Wilcox
    • Grooby

Don't in anyway expect Moyes to come here for 1 minute. Heard an interview with him after he left Spain. He was still being grilled on his United failure. He made an excellent point. He was given a 7 year contract and the plan was to overhaul the club over a few seasons. He was quite blunt about the fact that if he had been told from the off he had 7 months - he would have gone about things in a completely different way. Which seemed fair enough to me.

He would need about 6 different plans for Venkys!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk of Moyes and the like is simply pie in the sky. If the owners are looking to trim costs and cut back annual losses then it needs a manager who can work on a shoe-string budget and who has experience of working in that market. It may be too soon for Gareth Ainsworth but the likes of him and Keith Hill are the type of manager I suspect we will be looking at. Personally, I still think Alan Irvine will take it on as he seems the right fit for working with a limited budget. However, until we get a clear administrative structure in place at Ewood Park, it really is irrelevant who the next manager is because they will face the same problems and no doubt the same outcome as Berg, Appleton, Bowyer and Lambert.

I really should know better than dignifying this situation with proper speculation on a new manager, but boredom at work is a strong force. My suggestion, disregarding the lunatic circus that runs our club, would be Henrik Larsson. He has showed a refreshing lack of ego by starting his managerial career at small clubs in Sweden, has done well on a shoestring budget at two clubs (one newly promoted and one sleeping giant with significant economic problems) and has promoted several good youth players from the clubs' academies. He'd raise Rovers' media profile significantly and bring much needed positive buzz, as well as being an possible extra incentive for prospective transfer targets due to his fame and pedigree as a player. He seems to be about ready to take the next step in his career as a manager, and these days doing well in the Championship is probably a better springboard than doing well at Celtic.

I agree with ParsonBlue that Hill should be on shortlist.

Think Irvine will be shortlist if he is interest in the job.

Dont see Moyes being interest.

I think Sherwood and Karl Robinson will be on the shortlist. Robinson has been linked to the Rovers job in the past under Venkys.

Larrson is a great shout. Is it time we looked overseas for our new manager. Look at job Carvahal has done at Sheff Wed

David Moyes?

DAVID MOYES?

Absolutely deluded some of you, is anyone seriously saying Moyes wants to come to Ewood in a capacity other than just slagging the fans off for making Keans life a misery?

Wake up, stop wasting space on the server with absolutely bunkum.

Wow, I didn't think you'd be on that side of the fence in this argument. OK then.

Let me put it another way.

If owners make really bad decisions that affect the club's success the (highly paid) manager can stand up to them to an extent and tell them they are wrong. He can threaten to leave and even walk away and let everyone see that what the owners are doing or not doing. Conversely a manager can keep his head down, go along with bad decisions (e.g. taking the rap for one of the owners picking the team, allegedly). The impact to the club and fans in doing so is huge. I would say that the latter 'manager' is "taking the Venkys coin". In both cases the wages set them up for life so could make a choice based on their belief in what is right. They will even have a contract clause which offers a settlement if they are sacked 'unfairly'.

Now compare and contrast to said (low paid) club shop worker who isn't happy because they have told their bosses to take the Tom Cairney postcards or Jordan Rhodes decals off sale because he left ages ago and they have been met with a wall of silence. They could choose to take a noble stance and walk out, or kick off so much about it that they get sacked. Would it make any difference to the club and fans? They would be replaced the day after. Is he/she taking the "Venkys coin" by staying, not really because they don't have a great deal of choice, no severance pay, no huge savings to fall back on, and they pay isn't that great. They can't usually just walk into another job and can't take a sabbatical or get their agent to get them a lucrative job in the Far East.

David Moyes?

DAVID MOYES?

Absolutely deluded some of you, is anyone seriously saying Moyes wants to come to Ewood in a capacity other than just slagging the fans off for making Keans life a misery?

Wake up, stop wasting space on the server with absolutely bunkum.

We haven't been doing to well with Scots in recent years. Moyes can stay well away ........plus he's more boring to listen to than Bowyer and Lambert combined.

• Backroom

Let me put it another way.

If owners make really bad decisions that affect the club's success the (highly paid) manager can stand up to them to an extent and tell them they are wrong. He can threaten to leave and even walk away and let everyone see that what the owners are doing or not doing. Conversely a manager can keep his head down, go along with bad decisions (e.g. taking the rap for one of the owners picking the team, allegedly). The impact to the club and fans in doing so is huge. I would say that the latter 'manager' is "taking the Venkys coin". In both cases the wages set them up for life so could make a choice based on their belief in what is right. They will even have a contract clause which offers a settlement if they are sacked 'unfairly'.

Now compare and contrast to said (low paid) club shop worker who isn't happy because they have told their bosses to take the Tom Cairney postcards or Jordan Rhodes decals off sale because he left ages ago and they have been met with a wall of silence. They could choose to take a noble stance and walk out, or kick off so much about it that they get sacked. Would it make any difference to the club and fans? They would be replaced the day after. Is he/she taking the "Venkys coin" by staying, not really because they don't have a great deal of choice, no severance pay, no huge savings to fall back on, and they pay isn't that great. They can't usually just walk into another job and can't take a sabbatical or get their agent to get them a lucrative job in the Far East.

OK, we're actually on the same side of the argument after all. My original comment was a sarcastic one based on Vinjay calling club shop workers "prostitutes" but championing City boy Wilcox for the manager's position.

• Backroom

How many more times does it have to be repeated its got nothing to do with that?

He was at this club for over 10 years (for which he got little appreciation) and you're treating him as an absolute nobody.

*cough* Dunn *cough*

Oh for goodness sake he was lied to.

Why are the votes so negative on Wilcox? Didn't people vote highly for Solskjaer on a poll in 2012/2013? What the hell had he done as a manager?

quite a bit in his home country, do some research before slagging people off.

quite a bit in his home country, do some research before slagging people off.

A job which got handed to him in a mediocre league. Surprised he didn't just get someone like Cardiff right away. After all ex United players seem to think they can just walk into any job they want.

I see Jewell is the favourite now. Probably as good an experienced candidate as we could get but he has been in a managers job for 9 months in the last 71/2 years and failed then. We might as well go totally left field though I think as anyone coming into this sinking ship has got no chance. What about someone like...... well anyone really...... give 1 of the grogramme sellers a go or maybe rotate it round fans with a draw every month to see who's turn it is.

I see Jewell is the favourite now. Probably as good an experienced candidate as we could get but he has been in a managers job for 9 months in the last 71/2 years and failed then. We might as well go totally left field though I think as anyone coming into this sinking ship has got no chance. What about someone like...... well anyone really...... give 1 of the grogramme sellers a go or maybe rotate it round fans with a draw every month to see who's turn it is.

If I'm allowed to mention his name Nixon spoke to Jewell and he said he's not interested.

Jog on with all this anti Utd stuff ffs!

Go and post it on your beloved city forum .

We don't fecking care

Fine I'll remember to talk about Accrington and stuff like that. Its a relevant point that being ex-United seems to carry more weight with some people when it comes to walking into a first team job. Shame someone who won the title here is held in less regard.

By the way mods this is one of many times Abbey's had a go at me for mentioning United (even on the FA Cup thread when nobody else was playing that night) but I suppose it will be me who's the one in the wrong?

Oh and by the way Jack Walker and Peter White cared.

Jewell?

I'm with JAL on this one....Scousers out!!!

(Joking apart he wouldn't be the worst candidate)

If the owners have now decide they are pretty much content with championship football for the time being then Juwel is a reasonable choice, he's not going to be a manager that excites fans and starts putting bums back on seats though.

p.s. mods/dmin can we PLEASE have the 'dislike' button brought back, but only on VJ's posts :)

• Backroom

If the owners have now decide they are pretty much content with championship football for the time being then Juwel is a reasonable choice

Not really. It's a reasonable choice if they want League One football, as that's where he was taking Ipswich before being potted.

Archived