SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duffy on Sunderland list:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-face-battle-keep-lamine-11727265

Personally, I don't think he is a PL player but would leave a huge hole in our already friable back four.

I think he will be cashed in on, unfortunately. No new contract will be forthcoming.

Excellent in the air, but average at the other aspects of defending. Not a prem player by any means at the moment but still time to improve.

Just what the hell are they doing with Wes Brown so called as much time as he wants to earn a permanent contract ? Have they actually signed up and he's broke down straight away ?

You really do wonder what's going on and who is involved in bringing these guys in. No doubting his pedigree but the fellas a 36 year old crock and we'd be lucky to get 10 games out of him permanent or not. Their focus and budget should be elsewhere immediately.

My bet is he's the shoe in replacement for Duffy just before the window shuts. As with everything at Rovers these days it stinks !

Is he still here? (in our treatment room)

i have no idea, but it wouldnt surprise me if he is. We cant sign players or offer existing players new contracts, but we can pay off people left right and center, or offer useless crocked players a salary

Just what the hell are they doing with Wes Brown so called as much time as he wants to earn a permanent contract ? Have they actually signed up and he's broke down straight away ?

You really do wonder what's going on and who is involved in bringing these guys in. No doubting his pedigree but the fellas a 36 year old crock and we'd be lucky to get 10 games out of him permanent or not. Their focus and budget should be elsewhere immediately.

My bet is he's the shoe in replacement for Duffy just before the window shuts. As with everything at Rovers these days it stinks !

probably holding Brown until the very last minute of the transfer window, knowing Duffy will be off.

What's the hold up with Gallagher? Is it really that difficult to get a loan deal over the line?

The time its taking and the way its being reported anyone would think this is an expensive permanent deal with a long term contract to negotiate. Its just a shambles. The story emerged on Saturday of him being on his way, its now Wednesday and he still isn't here. Its taking the best part of a week to conclude a loan deal for a Southampton youngster I think we can forget any permanent signings arriving.

Unless of course this is just a ploy to keep the pressure off from the fans. Make them think the club is doing something to rectify the threadbare squad when in fact they've got no intention of adding new players.

The O'Sullivan suggestion from Blueandwhitemike is an interesting thought. I can't understand any reason why we would let any squad member leave on loan when we're so short on numbers, other than to save some money on wages for a few months and enable someone else to come in. If O'Sullivan isn't deemed good enough or wasn't in Coyle's plans then it seems strange to have given him a squad number and played him in some pre-season games.

Regarding the DEFENCE, we are seriously weak in both full back positions. Lowe/henley are not going to cut it at RB. Hendrie we havent seen enough of. A new full back signing has to be a priority. I think the forward line up seems decent now with gallagher as backup and more optimistic about central midfield after hearing of byrnes performances.

JHR - Venkys take ages to respond and/or ok requests! That is in no way defending them? In fact it's the opposite - this sheer vacuous leadership causes this! It's ridiculous but nothing new. A ploy to appease fans, suggesting we might sign a youth target man?... Doesn't make sense that.

One thing that did make sense is giving o'sullivan a chance in pre season, since Coyle had likely never seen him play. BAWM's suggestion that he may have gone for wage reasons is worrying - but it's ignoring the factor that Accrington aren't likely to be paying any fees or wages for loans.

Also if it's a make space loan - Gallagher will be on a couple of g's a week at least to likely a few hundred for John O!

i have no idea, but it wouldnt surprise me if he is. We cant sign players or offer existing players new contracts, but we can pay off people left right and center, or offer useless crocked players a salary

probably holding Brown until the very last minute of the transfer window, knowing Duffy will be off.

We seemed to struggle paying off the most recent coaches we didn't want? Also, it's likely Guthrie would've gone by looking how much he's played this year... The pay off days are done at Ewood (for ridiculous wages players I mean and hope!)

If Brown is training with us still, what's the issue? Can't be drawing a wage, he's likely living within a reasonable distance and if we do lose a centre back and cannot reinvest, he might work as a decent fall back.

Old experienced CBs at this level can work.

Brown has been told that a contract will be offerred depending on if / who is sold. Even in the short time he's been in and trained the lads and management unified in saying he's the best defender at the club...by some distance! (Even before Hanley departed)

I'm just not sure he'll ever be fit enough to play regularly. Shame.

Brown has been told that a contract will be offerred depending on if / who is sold. Even in the short time he's been in and trained the lads and management unified in saying he's the best defender at the club...by some distance! (Even before Hanley departed)

I'm just not sure he'll ever be fit enough to play regularly. Shame.

So basically, hang around for a while because when Duffy gets sold you'll be first in line for a 12 month contract.

Wasn't there some strange rule where if you signed a player who was out of contract they couldn't play until the next window.... Or have I made that up?

I think you may well be right on that. I seem to remember that Songo'o joined Plymouth in January but wasn't able to play until the start of this season.

What's the hold up with Gallagher? Is it really that difficult to get a loan deal over the line?

The time its taking and the way its being reported anyone would think this is an expensive permanent deal with a long term contract to negotiate. Its just a shambles. The story emerged on Saturday of him being on his way, its now Wednesday and he still isn't here. Its taking the best part of a week to conclude a loan deal for a Southampton youngster I think we can forget any permanent signings arriving.

Unless of course this is just a ploy to keep the pressure off from the fans. Make them think the club is doing something to rectify the threadbare squad when in fact they've got no intention of adding new players.

The O'Sullivan suggestion from Blueandwhitemike is an interesting thought. I can't understand any reason why we would let any squad member leave on loan when we're so short on numbers, other than to save some money on wages for a few months and enable someone else to come in. If O'Sullivan isn't deemed good enough or wasn't in Coyle's plans then it seems strange to have given him a squad number and played him in some pre-season games.

Medical today, signing on the dotted line tomorrow. Done deal.

Even though the Transfer Window closes at the end of August. The Free Transfer deadline (to sign free agents such as Brown) is sometime at the end of October, as long he is signed before that deadline he can play this season. The situation is different in January as once the window shuts that is it, so if you sign a free agent after the January window shuts they cannot play until the start of next season.

I hope that this makes some semblance of sense!

Even though the Transfer Window closes at the end of August. The Free Transfer deadline (to sign free agents such as Brown) is sometime at the end of October, as long he is signed before that deadline he can play this season. The situation is different in January as once the window shuts that is it, so if you sign a free agent after the January window shuts they cannot play until the start of next season.

I hope that this makes some semblance of sense!

Makes perfect sense Kami. Thanks for that. It explains a lot.

So basically, hang around for a while because when Duffy gets sold you'll be first in line for a 12 month contract.

Then spend most of it in the treatment room !

No probs if he'd sign on for a couple of grand Pwk and a few more grand when he plays but you can bet some agent will have a nice deal lined up for him.

Archived