BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

We all knew that the "fair" contract offers would fall short of what the players wanted. Coyle virtually said as much when he said they would have to come back if they didn't feel it was enough (or words to that effect). An "improvement" could be barely noticeable maybe even just referring to the length of the contract. Or if a post-parachute reduction was not as much as their current contract reduction, for example.

This grated though:

They are both good lads. Have they played to the maximum in the games? No. But I can certainly understand some of the off-the-field stuff that can affect them".

Blame the fans again.

Although the children who had a pop at Duffy on Twitter made that easy for him to say.

See, I interpret the off field stuff as the contract negotiations and interest from elsewhere - not a pop at fans.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been clear for some time now that the players have such a strong hand due to the ineptitude of the people entrusted with acting in Rovers best interests. And I don't blame the players at all but ultimately they will eventually leave for well below their market value.

See, I interpret the off field stuff as the contract negotiations and interest from elsewhere - not a pop at fans.

Agreed. It was so obviously not a pop at the fans. You only have to read the next line from Coyle's quote:-

'You can imagine everybody has got something to say to them away from the field in respect of what they should do and what they shouldn’t be doing'

There's enough to criticise him for without making stuff up. Same goes for the owners.

At least one of Marshall or Duffy will be sold cheaply and at the last minute.

We will not be able to sign replacements because Venky's decision-making at the dining table is too slow.

At least the kids will get some experience this Season for League 1 next.

1969 to 1979 all over again.

It has been clear for some time now that the players have such a strong hand due to the ineptitude of the people entrusted with acting in Rovers best interests. And I don't blame the players at all but ultimately they will eventually leave for well below their market value.

The market value of any of our players at the moment, must be sod-all, if we are to go on performances.

The fact we have this article out tells us that we are trying to sell.

Let's be clear there is no advantage to the fans, club or manager in alerting teams these guys have rejected the offer - unless you want to alert clubs of the situation in order to attract offers. Even the fact we have articles like this shouts out we are in a fire sale, everything must go situation.

The fact we have this article out tells us that we are trying to sell.

Let's be clear there is no advantage to the fans, club or manager in alerting teams these guys have rejected the offer - unless you want to alert clubs of the situation in order to attract offers. Even the fact we have articles like this shouts out we are in a fire sale, everything must go situation.

Agreed. Our only two players of any value, and their contract talks stalling are being shouted from the rooftops.

Not bothered if they do go, in a weird way that could be one step closer to Venky's going.

I expect Duffy and Marshall go very soon and Coyle to follow. Wouldn't be surprised if Graham would like to leave also but can he play for third club in this calendar year?

I thought that at the weekend, not sure abiut the calender year or season...

Operation sell progressing as I predicted several weeks ago.

I don't even believe they've been offered new contracts. They might have had discussions with Coyle over their futures and what sort of money they would want and whether they would be prepared to accept the sort of terms the club is now looking at, but I'd be surprised if they have been given a document worthy of being called a contract offer. It would contradict everything the club has done in the last 12-18 months.

Coyle wastes no time in dishing out some criticism to the two players concerned - no doubt part of the plan - portray them as bad eggs who aren't putting in 100% and who need to improve to earn a new deal - that way justifying the sale to supporters when they go because some people will accept 'if they don't want to be here or aren't going to give 100% then its best to get rid'. Trouble is I'd sooner have 50% of Marshall and Duffy than 0% which is what we will get when they are sold on the last day of the window to a rival with no replacements coming in.

If they aren't putting in 100% then maybe the club should look at its own conduct as a factor rather than the players. The club has shown no ambition, no determination to keep them, has disgracefully left it until mid August before beginning negotiations, has sold everyone else of quality or value and not replaced them and has embraced the opportunity to advertise their imminent free agent status every week in the local paper. Hardly the behaviour of a club that is determined to keep hold of its best players and improve going forward.

Coyle quick to say again that the 'offers' were 'improvements on their existing contracts'. Really? Does he really expect me to believe that after selling everything of value, shutting down stands and the club shop, selling all our best players and not reinvesting anything, that the club and owners are suddenly going to offer two players improved contracts? Pull the other one.

"Because if you don't perform well on the field, who's going to want to come and buy you anyway?" - so Coyle is attempting to motivate our 2 best players by using the incentive of earning a move to another club. Pathetic and unprofessional.

"Its something I inherited. You've got to make the best of the situation" - you arrived in early June, 10 weeks ago, and only last week claimed to have offered them new deals. So maybe if you had got round to sorting this out from the moment you arrived then the situation might be different.

Sometimes I really struggle to believe what I'm reading. Here we have our two assets, out of contract in less than a year, Coyle claims he wants to keep them, claims the club has improved contract offers on the table, claims that negotiations are ongoing, and yet he's talking about other clubs being interested recently and them needing to play better for other clubs to put bids in for them. Why would they even consider signing a new deal if the manager is talking like that?

To be fair to Coyle, he's called out that they've both been performing badly on the pitch and that is not going to get them the move they want.

For two or our supposed 'better' players, they've both been just as bad as everyone else in recent months.

Marshall did state weeks ago that he was happy here and seemed ready to sign. He also registered his disappointment in public that it hadn't been sorted. Can't really blame him for sulking although he should still put a shift in.

Duffy I'm not so sure I think he thinks he's too good for all this now. Something about him I've never been able to take too.

I'm dismayed by the article today.

I've tried my best not to get on OC's back for anything but his own mistakes - telling the newspapers that they havent signed a contract is probably the stupidest thing he's done to date. Firstly, it benefits nobody except the players and their agents. Secondly, the club are obviously now trying to sell and thats the reason for the article, and how do we expect the fans to react to these two now on the pitch and on twitter?

In a normal scenario. i'd prefer us to keep all of our best players! I'd want to keep Duffy, but Marshall has been poor and I'd sooner see Mahoney given a chance over Marshall's ridiculously bad attitude and lack of effort. As for Duffy, (like both) i'd keep but what is the point if he is going to perform like he did past saturday?

Not frustrated by the chance of losing these - frustrated by the obvious touting done by Cringy Coyle. Shameful.

I've tried my best not to get on OC's back for anything but his own mistakes - telling the newspapers that they havent signed a contract is probably the stupidest thing he's done to date. Firstly, it benefits nobody except the players and their agents. Secondly, the club are obviously now trying to sell and thats the reason for the article, and how do we expect the fans to react to these two now on the pitch and on twitter?

In a normal scenario. i'd prefer us to keep all of our best players! I'd want to keep Duffy, but Marshall has been poor and I'd sooner see Mahoney given a chance over Marshall's ridiculously bad attitude and lack of effort. As for Duffy, (like both) i'd keep but what is the point if he is going to perform like he did past saturday?

Not frustrated by the chance of losing these - frustrated by the obvious touting done by Cringy Coyle. Shameful.

Doesn't benefit Rovers, the fans or the team. Doesn't benefit Coyle or his reputation. But does benefit these owners and their agenda.

Does anyone truly believe that they have been offered improved terms?

The players are probably performing poorly because they feel let down, betrayed and like the rest of us are sick and fed up of this club and the way it operates. They've seen Lambert replaced with Coyle, they've seen Rhodes, Cairney and Hanley sold off to rivals and not replaced, and now they're being advertised as the next available players in the Blackburn Rovers annual sales. Hardly surprising if their performances and attitude aren't 100%.

Coyle also made it clear in the LT article that they hadn't signed cos they wanted more money. Bit naughty that.

Just spinning it around, why would either of them sign at present? They're clearly being touted by clubs who may even have a chance of staying up this season. Surely they've seen the lack of quality around them and are desperate to get out before they have a relegation on their CV

Marshall did state weeks ago that he was happy here and seemed ready to sign. He also registered his disappointment in public that it hadn't been sorted. Can't really blame him for sulking although he should still put a shift in.

Duffy I'm not so sure I think he thinks he's too good for all this now. Something about him I've never been able to take too.

He seems to me like he really lacks sense and mettle. Two things I'd look for in a CB. He shows potential in glimpses but as time and performances have gone on, I won't miss him.

Marshall I like but again, very inconsistent. He's probably at the right level (although some of his wingback performances have been superb) and we were lucky to see FAR better players grace Ewood.

To be honest, I'm not interested in the team so much now. Even at this early stage, I honestly think we are doomed to relegation - there's too much wrong. I'm late on the bandwagon but since Lambert walked and the disgraceful non-communication from India, my patience has totally run out. Living in hope of change (under the V's) is pointless and I want to do all I can to rid Ewood of the owners and can now see the viewpoint of not caring at what level we fall to, it would be worth it to be free.

Just spinning it around, why would either of them sign at present? They're clearly being touted by clubs who may even have a chance of staying up this season. Surely they've seen the lack of quality around them and are desperate to get out before they have a relegation on their CV

No reason. They can also get far better money by hanging fire till the end of the season.

Nixon keeping up the act. Claims that we've now got a left back, centre back and midfielder all lined up who want to come. Now its a matter of sorting out deals with their clubs.

The whole problem here is that deals collapse when Venkys refuse to pay the money and refuse to sanction transfers. So Coyle can do all he likes and line up countless players but it won't mean they come.

Archived