BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ten Games In - What's The Verdict?

dallydally

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we're not as cut adrift as I expected us to be, but we're shipping about as many goals as I expected we would......

At the moment there's some sides struggling for form who'll probably pick up ie derby Cardiff have sacked there manager so watch this space fully expect wigan and Rotherham to be down there and Burton who maybe ovratachieving at the moment

• Backroom

Coyle has been very fortunate to pick up Emnes and to encounter Derby whilst Pearson was still in charge. Conway has also stepped up with a couple of cracking goals to make things slightly less miserable.

The bloke is basically a mix of the worst attributes of Kean and Bowyer, although admittedly not quite as extreme as the former. I have no doubt that he will relegate us.

Think we're bob on where I expected (bit then I expected our loan strikers to be garbage and both have been amongst our best players...)

We are in a relegation battle, we are struggling bit equally we have an ok chance of survival given there's a lot of dross teams around us. Bit shocked Bristol and Barnsley aren't vying for us to be among the 3 worst but encouraged by how bad Rotherham and Cardiff are and expect at least one of them to be relegated, probably two. (shame 3 teams go down)

Am a little surprised by how much Coyle's pressers irritate me and that Marshall is still here. But other than that it's par for the course Imo: Struggle but would be safe with a decent manager.

Problem for Coyle, as with Bowyer before him, was that he was not in a position to get the players he needed until the end of the transfer window. Five games were thus played with a squad that was much weaker than the one that has played the last five games. I suspect that if Hoban, Williams, Gallagher and Emnes had been available for the first five games the picture would be rather different than it is today. Like Athletic, I believe there are a number of teams in this division who are no better than ourselves and finishing outside the bottom three doesn't seem quite the daunting task that it did on day one. We are going to be in and around the relegation zone but I believe that Coyle and this squad have enough about them to keep our heads above water.

• Backroom

Shocking.

2 wins from 10 including games at home against Burton, Fulham and Rotherham and away at Wigan, Cardiff, Leeds and Derby is just pitiful.

If we keep him employed we deserve to be relegated.

A look at the table says not good enough, but we have been dumbed down so far what did we expect, would mid table seem a big success? Enmes is the only light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and he is on short term loan. I don't like Coyle, never wanted him as manager but understand he is working with his hands tied.

Staying up is all we can hope for and I agree there is some rubbish around us.

Out of the ten games only three have been against sides in the top half (and Fulham are just about in the top half). We are were I expected us to be in a relegation place and I think that is were we will finish. Coyle and his staff have shown their massive limitations which will ultimately cost us.

The verdict is 2 wins and in the bottom 3 it's there for all to see and just what most predicted and if you were an independent football adviser advising the loons it's more or less what they would have predicted also.

Their advisors aren't independent though. Hmmm..

Problem for Coyle, as with Bowyer before him, was that he was not in a position to get the players he needed until the end of the transfer window. Five games were thus played with a squad that was much weaker than the one that has played the last five games. I suspect that if Hoban, Williams, Gallagher and Emnes had been available for the first five games the picture would be rather different than it is today. Like Athletic, I believe there are a number of teams in this division who are no better than ourselves and finishing outside the bottom three doesn't seem quite the daunting task that it did on day one. We are going to be in and around the relegation zone but I believe that Coyle and this squad have enough about them to keep our heads above water.

Agree with all this post EXCEPT that Coyle has enough about him to keep us up. Really? The players yes, the weaknesses of the other teams I agree but Coyle??

Agree with all this post EXCEPT that Coyle has enough about him to keep us up. Really? The players yes, the weaknesses of the other teams I agree but Coyle??

Speak to Bolton and Wigan fans and they will tell you we have got an idiot who will leave the squad weaker (if that is possible).

:brfc:

A word of caution. Our best player, who our recent form revolves around returns to his club in 3 months.

There's also worries in other key positions too Stuart. Banking on Evans and Guthrie to both be fit seems a tad optimistic to me. Likewise if Williams gets injured we might as well just roll a red carpet out down our left flank...

But then IF they stay fit it's not a bad team.

A word of caution. Our best player, who our recent form revolves around returns to his club in 3 months.

No difference to the end of last season with Graham? Just an example - I don't think I can blame Coyle for the state of the squad though, long term decline!

As for verdict - I think he's done slightly better than I imagined and then predicted after the initial two games.

I don't think we will be relegated but that could change in the next ten games. I'm not sure how we'd cope losing a player or two to the likely injuries, suspensions etc coming up.

I want a better manager but I'm thinking the priority is some investment in key areas - if we could turn Emnes, Hoban and Gallagher into permenant deals, in a similar way to the Steele and Gestede deals - I'd be a lot more confident of survival.

Archived