BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby at home

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Reidy You're a Star said:

I was with you until that point and only because the only other right back we have is a young lad still learning his trade. I'd be amazed if he was in the Premiership next season, or any season. He's versatile to the point where he'll play wherever he's asked, run around a lot, but is generally crap at it. Should be nothing more than a League 1 right back or Championship bench warmer at most. But, whilst he'sin the team (rightly or wrongly) and he's captain it would be foolish to come in and strip him of it without even seeing the train for a full day. Why risk upsetting or splitting an already fragile dressing room when we need everyone fully behind Mowbray for the next 14 games?

I think he would do a job as a right wing back for a Stoke or a West Brom. His major problem(some would say benefit)here has been that he has played so many positions. If a manager had have just put him right back and left him there, he could be very solid. Anyways, I digress :) 

Completely agree with your last sentence. Some fans genuinely believe real life is like FIFA or Football manager. 

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

That would be instead of the super fast Charlie mulgrew or the even faster Gordon Greer at Centre Half. Whoever plays there will be slow

Well, they're less of a risk than Wes. The bloke has barely kicked a ball in the last year.

We desperately need Hoban back so that Mulgrew can move to the centre of the park.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Apparently Dunn is a huge J-Lowe fan, so, I doubt he'd be suggesting anything negative about the golden boy. A shame since everybody with a pair of working eyes knows that Lowe is not and will never be captain material. 

Yes I remember some saying previously that Dunny rates Lowe, but I find it a bit hard to believe, as one was a very talented midfielder in his day, who

loved having the ball at his feet and taking players on or threading great passes to the forward players and also scoring himself on a fairly regular basis,

the other is a bogstandard runner who can't wait to get rid of the ball and usually passes to the first available man as long as that man is behind him.

Maybe Dunny was joking when he was praising our captain, we know he likes a joke.

56 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That patently isnt true.  He was bollocking Lowe at one point earlier in the season.  He's a very good  communicator and our best footballer who is a centre half. Captain all day long at a normal club.

I must of missed that one. Go back to the Brentford game after we took the lead Lenighan was bollocking everyone including Mulgrew. Granted he is the best footballer at the club but I have doubts about him being captain. It doesn't help that everytime he goes into a tackle he seems to limp

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Well, they're less of a risk than Wes. The bloke has barely kicked a ball in the last year.

We desperately need Hoban back so that Mulgrew can move to the centre of the park.

Hoban before getting injured I'd agree but surely he must be lacking match fitness and sharpness. 

I was only joking about the excuse you gave as pace.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

That patently isnt true.  He was bollocking Lowe at one point earlier in the season.  He's a very good  communicator and our best footballer who is a centre half. Captain all day long at a normal club.

I think reason mulgrew won't be captain is because he is to injury prone. There is no way mulgrew will play in every game between now and the end of season I hope I'm wrong 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How long have you been watching Rovers ?  We're always been really helpful to opponents on a bad run. 

Bit of a newbie.  Only been going for 50+ years.

1 hour ago, West Yorks Rover said:

Yes I remember some saying previously that Dunny rates Lowe, but I find it a bit hard to believe.

Maybe Dunny was joking when he was praising our captain, we know he likes a joke.

I am the originator of the 'Dunny likes Jason' thing. I have said this a few times now so apologies in advance but is is especially pertinent now that he may be influential in team selection. I was at a forum at Blackburn library about three years ago and Dunn was a guest speaker alongside James Beattie and referee Mike Dean. The general uselessness of Lowe was raised (not by me surprisingly) and I was confident that Dunn wouldn't be able to fully disguise his contempt for his polar opposite in football terms but to my surprise he went the other way on it and predicted an international future for him! In the next breath he made a not so subtle dig about Ruben Rochina which again surprised me. 

I always remember Maradona stating that Pele knows absolutely nothing about football and advising people to ignore anything Pele says about the game as he is always wrong. I thought about that when Dunn (a player I loved) took over at Oldham. I wondered if he,( like Pele ) knows nothing about the game. I wasn't surprised when it didn't work out for him.

Now that he is heavily involved with the first team, I am a little concerned about his influence. Reading in between the lines from one or two Mowbray comments, it is clear he is looking to bring his own staff in at some point so time will tell. As I said the other day, Mowbray will be heavily focussed on our dreadful defence, characterised by Shakin' Stevens in the nets, and the lack of contribution from Lowey may be overlooked.

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mulgrew misses too many matches to be captain imo.I do think he is the best player at the club but pretty pointless making someone captain who spends an awful lot of time on the treatment table

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Not quite all accounts Gav.

I was still ever so slightly non plussed!!

;)

Yes you went to Burton, enjoyed the write up by the way.

I did read he had a good game, but not by all accounts you're right.

Just now, Gav said:

Yes you went to Burton, enjoyed the write up by the way.

I did read he had a good game, but not by all accounts you're right.

Haha. Cheers! I am being churlish really. He did well by his standards to be honest and I hate being negative about anyone, both in life and on here. I first saw him in a youth game against Man U and he ran the game. I came away raving about him and am so disappointed with the way he plays now. Maybe he is a victim of some dreadful coaches. Occasionally he gets his head up and plays a lovely long ball and his one goal was sublime. I want the real Jason to stand up! 

We need all the help we can get!!

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

You realistically expected a manager to come in a couple of days before a match, after a somewhat surprise sacking, and then change the captain, even when he had never worked with the squad or his coaching staff? 

That sounds sensible...

You've got a point. Although it suggests that D Lowe and Dunn either bottled it or don't know either. You'd have thought someone like Dunn would now already who should be captain in that first team squad.

Let's see how many games it takes to realise that we need a leader on the field. Or if he is happy to continue have no leader there, much like there is no leader in the dug out, boardroom or Venkys HQ.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Neal said:

If Lowe got a move anywhere else in the championship I doubt he would be a starter except for perhaps at Rotherham. Bang average is a compliment.

Apparently he'll be in the Premier League next year, so watch out Chelsea :huh: unless that's where he's moving. Can you imagine a Lowe-Kante midfield? The stuff of dreams.

7 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Glen Mullan said he was poor as well, but yeah he was very good by all accounts.

You're an obnoxious half whit wondering around the site looking for a reaction.

Get yourself a girlfriend/boyfriend you've far to much time on your hands.

Anyway.....back to the match!!

We need to avoid defeat again, and we're probably getting to the 'need to win this one' stage!

This will probably be typical Rovers luck where Derby play up to their potential and turn us over!

Will be a cold one on Ewood so thermals and bob hat will be donned for this one.

Steele

Nyambe   Greer   Mulgrew  Lowe

Evans  Guthrie 

Mahoney  Emnes  Bennett

Gallagher

COYB

Just now, Gav said:

You're an obnoxious half whit wondering around the site looking for a reaction.

Get yourself a girlfriend/boyfriend you've far to much time on your hands.

You go around the site making things up... 'he was very good by all accounts' is completely untrue, you can't expect to lie like that without someone calling you out.

• Backroom

There are interesting arguments on both sides of the Lowe captaincy issue.

Pros:

Liked by the players and staff, full of effort, Rovers youth product and fan.

Cons:

Crap footballer, not much of a leader.

The issue with changing now (as much as I would love to) is that other options are either also a bit crap, here on loan, or injury prone.

Archived