BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do we do with last years marquee centre half signing ?

If we signed a proper centre back in the 1st season after Promotion than we would have a long term replacement for Mu;lgrew. Then we wouldn't have need to sign Ayala. 

If The first two season recruitment defensively was done properly and some long term thinking and planning instead of these year loan of Tosin or signing a 1 year contract in Rodwell wouldn't have been needed. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What don't you agree with? The players suggested? Our priority in the last 3 summers is signing a good enough centre back to play next Lenihan and replace Mulgrew long term

Apart from the question for Mowbray, everything else you wrote.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we signed a proper centre back in the 1st season after Promotion than we would have a long term replacement for Mu;lgrew. Then we wouldn't have need to sign Ayala. 

If The first two season recruitment defensively was done properly and some long term thinking and planning instead of these year loan of Tosin or signing a 1 year contract in Rodwell wouldn't have been needed. 

Yes I agree. But the fact is that what you suggest was not put into practice. What we have to do is look forward and make the best use of the resorces that we already have. For me that includes using 2 of, Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire and Wharton, as the center-halves.

10 hours ago, rigger said:

Yes I agree. But the fact is that what you suggest was not put into practice. What we have to do is look forward and make the best use of the resorces that we already have. For me that includes using 2 of, Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire and Wharton, as the center-halves.

Unfortunately that’s where we are. I can’t see funds being made available much this summer and certainly not for another centre half.

To be honest If I were the chicken chokers I wouldn’t give Mowbray another penny.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rigger said:

Under another manager I would be happy and somewhat excited by those options.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Unfortunately that’s where we are. I can’t see funds being made available much this summer and certainly not for another centre half.

To be honest If I were the chicken chokers I wouldn’t give Mowbray another penny.

I have never really understood that point of view. If the manager has lost the trust of the owners based on previous transfer indiscretions, then he shouldnt still be in a job. There cant be a middle ground where a manager continues but with limited money in case he blows it on shit again.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have never really understood that point of view. If the manager has lost the trust of the owners based on previous transfer indiscretions, then he shouldnt still be in a job. There cant be a middle ground where a manager continues but with limited money in case he blows it on shit again.

Oh yes there can.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Under another manager I would be happy and somewhat excited by those options.

Exactly this. Under Mowbray, those players will regress as most do. Under another manager with fresh eyes and ideas, who knows?

The young talent in our squad is crying out to be let off the leash by a Souness type.

I often even wonder if Dack and Armstrong have actually progressed less (despite their great seasons) than they otherwise would have with a different manager.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

Brereton watched from the Chile Men's National Team bench at the Santiago del Estero, northern Argentina, as the home team played out a 1-1 draw against Chile in a World Cup qualifier. Messi and Sanchez were the scorers in the first Argentina Men's National Team match since the death of Diego Maradona.

Some achievement for Brereton. He must be the envy of the Rovers squad.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Brereton watched from the Chile Men's National Team bench at the Santiago del Estero, northern Argentina, as the home team played out a 1-1 draw against Chile in a World Cup qualifier. Messi and Sanchez were the scorers in the first Argentina Men's National Team match since the death of Diego Maradona.

Some achievement for Brereton. He must be the envy of the Rovers squad.

Can't tell if being sarcastic 🤔

I agree if you're not! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can't tell if being sarcastic 🤔

I agree if you're not! 

I didn't think he was mate. Sharing a pitch (albeit he didn't get on) with some of those players must have been an amazing experience for the lad.

• Like 4

I suppose, in many ways, Brereton has been fortunate to find himself there but, I'd still give him some credit for getting into the squad. I really have no idea if it is on merit, not knowing the quality of players available to their manager but it's a huge moment for him - probably, something he'll tell people in years to come. 

I still don't expect him to be more than a lower league player but this might give him confidence and open up opportunities - as, it may do for Amari'i Bell too, with Jamaica.

• Like 1

It's a slow burn with Ben but there's a cracker of a play in there. Just turned 22 and watching Messi on the pitch...ok, he didn't get on.

But the lad's got potential. He might not reach it, but it's strange that some want to write him off already. Why are some like that with youngsters? Give them a chance, it's not like they're a 35-year old free transfer or anything. They're obviously not going to be the finished article. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’ve got a lovely image in my head of Ben ‘accidentally’ bumping into Messi in the tunnel and trying to chew the fat in his limited Spanish.

Fair play to the bloke.

Or trying to persuade Messi that the Rovers would be a good move for him. As we have got a genius for a manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRoversReturn said:

It's a slow burn with Ben but there's a cracker of a play in there. Just turned 22 and watching Messi on the pitch...ok, he didn't get on.

But the lad's got potential. He might not reach it, but it's strange that some want to write him off already. Why are some like that with youngsters? Give them a chance, it's not like they're a 35-year old free transfer or anything. They're obviously not going to be the finished article. 

Its not about writing him off, people just feel that they can judge a 7m signing that has been here for 3 years. He received plenty of praise last year in fact, perhaps at times slightly more than his performances warranted simply because of how low the benchmark was that he had set. There is no witch hunt but people will judge based on what they see. Am I convinced that he will ever be a top player at Championship player? Possibly not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not about writing him off, people just feel that they can judge a 7m signing that has been here for 3 years. He received plenty of praise last year in fact, perhaps at times slightly more than his performances warranted simply because of how low the benchmark was that he had set. There is no witch hunt but people will judge based on what they see. Am I convinced that he will ever be a top player at Championship player? Possibly not.

Not sure what your 'Witch Hunt" reference relates to.

NGL I stayed up until 3am to watch.

Entertaining enough game though. Did struggle to see where Ben would fit in if he did come on given their playing style, but was still there in the hope to see him get a few minutes. Didn't seem likely at 1-1 against Argentina though either way. Maybe next time out.

Bravo pulled off some solid saves to deny Messi.

Edited by CD_93

Define ‘cracker of a player’? He’s yet to stand out in a middling Championship team after three seasons here.

Still struggles with the basics like controlling the ball, shooting, heading etc. He loses form and confidence very quickly.

Obviously 22 is still young and he can improve and maybe the fourth year of his deal will be the season he finally hits his straps on a consistent basis (AA is an example of how younger players can step up), but let’s not pretend he’s been anything but average at best.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6