BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Corry Evans

He really must have something in his contract regarding this it was the same throughout his time here.

Do NI pay the club for his services or something ?

What a joker he is finally seeing the back of him was about the only highlight for me this summer so far. We won't miss him one iota and wouldn't have 2 years ago either.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Corry Evans is called up to play for NI after returning from another injury issue. After being made captain of Sunderland, his manager has suggested that his lack of a full pre-season might be affecting him, as he has managed seven or eight league games so far. I hope he can recover and play a fair number of games to see out his career but the fate of last campaign's experienced quartet of Evans, Holtby (signed for Holstein Kiel in Bundesliga 2), Elliot Bennett (Shrewsbury) and Downing (retired) supports many fans' claims last year that they were not good enough and the club needed to replace them.

I suppose Bradley Johnson and, perhaps, Davenport, will similarly slide down the leagues once they move on from Rovers, as, I'm not sure either of them are good enough at this level. Davenport, at least, has some years in him to develop.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

Corry Evans played as a sub in NI's two recent games, including in their impressive 0-0 against Italy today. The result means that Switzerland qualify automatically for the Qatar World Cup from the group and Italy must navigate the play-offs. Northern Ireland finished a creditable third, ahead of Bulgaria and Lithuania. Evans' commitment and contribution to his national team is very impressive, whatever one might say about the consistency of his club appearances in recent years.

Edited by riverholmes

He’s a second/third division journeyman with nothing to write home about in the club game, so of course he’s happy to rack up the international caps, which he’ll always have a chance to do as NI have such a small pool of players.

The ‘niggles’ he always seems to get around the international windows is a bit of a running joke, but does point to a lack of professionalism and commitment to the institutions actually paying his wages.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Always was a terrible over rated player. Offered nothing and was anonymous in nearly every game. I was delighted when he left as he was a massive part of the problem at rovers at the time. I could never fathom what anyone saw in him and why people thought he was good enough to anchor our midfield

I wrote him off by the end of the Bowyer era, but he came close to winning me round a couple of times in the years since. Never fully though, and I wasn't remotely sad to see him go last year, which speaks volumes for a player who was here so long.

One thing I'd say in his defence for the first few years at least is that we were completely mad to sign him and then play him in a 442. He never had anything like the mobility to thrive in that role properly, which should have been obvious before we signed him. When he played deeper in the L1 season and after, he had spells of being quite a lot better in my view, admittedly without ever being brilliant.

• Like 1

He had the odd decent game here and there, usually when an international game was on the horizon or when he was playing for a new deal. That's nowhere near good enough though over a 6/7 year spell at the club.

He was a poor signing overall, who was tolerated for too long simply because he was an international and was slightly better than Jason Lowe. Put the pair of them together in centre mid and it is little wonder we went nowhere despite Rhodes and Gestede bagging the goals.

The amount of time we wasted with Lowe and Evans is unbelievable. Lowe was so bad that any slight upgrade on him was seen as a good deal at the time. Evans was one. Akpan? "Yeah, he's alright". Smallwood felt like Makelele compared to Lowe when he first arrived! Smallwood did a belting job for us in L1, to be fair, he just wasn't good enough to help us get towards the upper end of the Championship.

The bar has been on the floor in relation to most things at Rovers since these owners have rocked up and the likes of Lowe, Evans, Akpan etc are a small example of that. 

Evans' departure was long overdue and I'm glad he's gone, as I'm convinced Mowbray would have kept him around had he had the wage budget to do so.

• Like 3

Sunderland fans seem to hasve sussed him out pretty quickly as did most of us.

I'm not sure what it says about the various managers here including the present incumbent who kept playing him and giving him new contracts.

As with Jason Lowe a case of if your face fits I guess.

• Like 1

Booed off ?

Well i suppose he never got subbed here but imagine the uproar if he had got that treatment. Another example that this kind of thing can happen anywhere when fans are angry.

No surprise though the guy has been stealing a living in domestic football for years with his accept no responsibility style. The only time he really shone here for more than the odd game was the back end of the league 1 season. 

Coincidentally that was the only other time in the last decade until this season a Rovers manager played to the strengths of the squad he had.

Oh....and he needed a new contract.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Sounds like he's doing a bit of a Danny Murphy at Sunderland. Fans can forgive lack of talent for quite a while if the commitment and desire is there, but if a player is clearly half-arsing it that is never tolerated for long. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sunderland fans seem to hasve sussed him out pretty quickly as did most of us.

I'm not sure what it says about the various managers here including the present incumbent who kept playing him and giving him new contracts.

As with Jason Lowe a case of if your face fits I guess.

in defence of jason lowe,he did try but he just was`nt very good,i always did despise evans though ,he was a shirker who managed to con managers who should have known better,bloody bowyer had cairney on the wing and evans in the middle🤬

• Like 4