BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rotherham away

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

It's called having an opinion Mercer.  I still believe he is the right man for the job.  He said it would be a slow, gradual build.  That is what the owners have bought into and personally he should be given the opportunity to see it through.  You may find him uninspiring, that's your view, others have a different view.  

The summer will see a number of changes to the squad and I'll judge him this time next year.  Personally, I think he has done enough to deserve longer to see his proposed changes through.  

He spent what £10 Million or so in the summer and the only player to have impressed is Reed who is on loan and being played out of position constantly. There are a lot of managers who if they had been given the budget he had in the summer would have had us at the very least top 10 rather than where we are and potentially sleepwalking into a relegation battle. 

The build has been near enough non existent. If you are going to build even gradually you need to keep adding 1 or 2 players to improve your which we haven't done. In fact during the January window we actually weakened our team due to the managers negligence. 

As for making a number of changes in the summer if its a gradual process as you say I wouldn't bank on too many changes. Anyway the time to start the changes was in January as firstly we were a far more attractive option for a player then than we are looking like being come the summer. Also if you started the number of changes in January we wouldn't have the problems at the start of next season with a number of new players settling in, which is an excuse I can already envisage Mowbray making after a few early defeats next season.

As for saying the owners have bought into Mowbray I'm not sure anyone can say anything with any degree of certainty where the Owners are concerned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I just don't agree sorry. A manager can advise, plan prepare etc. but can't influence someone dithering about in defence, not closing down space, lacking desire and aggression when attacking a high ball.  We've seen week in, week out that our players aren't mentally tough enough to see games through.  We've seen the keeper make unprovoked howlers, players shitting themselves when we concede, defenders hoofing it back to the opposition rather than making a simple pass - that isn't coached into them and it's clear we need more men/leaders on the pitch.  It's going to get nailbiting if they don't grow some nads very quickly.

Why are we playing a midfielder and an awfully out of form Mulgrew at centre back?  

Theres some laughable defences of Mowbray with some people seemingly swallowing the blame he put solely on the players.

Sorry Mowbray but it is entirely your fault. You have had 4 transfer windows, 2 years and have spent well over 10 million. You have not remotely improved our defence. As individuals, the defenders and goalkeeper are not up to it, even if they were well organised (they arent that either) then they would still make too many individual errors. Rodwell isnt even a defender, your negligent attitude towards our defence has meant that youve signed a midfielder on a free and thought "he'll do."

You say that we only have one central defender who likes to head the ball and enjoys the rough and tumble on defending, its your squad!

I also think we were really poor going forward again, our one dimensional tactics do not get the best out of our attacking players.

Furthermore, Smallwood has again joined Bennett as players who are automatic picks regardless of ability and form.

I am fed up of seeing the same things week in week out, it feels like we are stagnating and serious question marks are arising as to whether we are indeed progressing under the current manager. People keep saying he knows what he needs to do. How do you know?

• Like 3

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

You don't agree with what? That he signed, coaches or gave extensions to practically everyone of those gutless players you're describing?

No. You said a team is just a reflection of the manager. They aren't. My main issue is their weak mentality. Those players (especially in midfield and defence) have now proven themselves to be gutless, panicked, laid back saunterers.  For 95mins, they are accountable for every choice and mistake they make. A man who can only tell them what they need to do, show them how to do it, tell them what to expect etc. throughout the week can only shuffle the pack and change tactics within those 95mins. If it was it the ping pong prick in charge who didn't organise or coach the players correctly, I'd agree with half of what you say. Not Mowbray though, I think he is a seasoned professional who will be hurting and banging his head against the wall. 

He isn't above my criticism though and I do agree in part because he chose them and he has built a team which often has a midfielder at CB, a midfielder at RB - simply put, he shouldn't ever be playing Bennett at RB when Nyambe is fit. He shouldn't have let Downing go, he should've built this Championship side around an experienced spine (particularly in goal and CB) rather than blowing £7m on someone who isn't ready for first team football.  I'd like to expect that his loyalty towards some of his bargain basement buys will run out in the summer.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Secondly, like Bob Saxton, I think he has been too loyal to one or two players.  Ultimately that did for Saxton and it will for Mowbray if he doesn't make changes in the summer.  I believe he knows that and I believe he will make changes.

Say he makes 5 or 6 signings in the summer that all improve the first XI (very unlikely looking at his record so far), do you think he has the tactical nouse to take us up? We don’t even have a style of play. How many times has he tried to implement his favoured style (3 at the back) and failed miserably because he hasn’t got the ability to pull it off? 

If we want to go to the next level, we need a new manager. It might be that the new manager would be called a ‘head coach’ with Mowbray working above him. If that was the case, Johnson wouldn’t be a bad shout. Every time I’ve seen the u23s play they look like they have a game plan - something that the first team don’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

A lot of people mentioning we defended and sat off last season and got away with it are spot on. I just find it ironic the one who seems to have been thrown under the bus most yesterday in Raya was single handedly responsible for us not throwing away leads.

Southend at home and MK Dons away off the top of my head were both games in the run in that he won us points on his own after our inability to defend under pressure. I’m personally happy with Raya and I blame Bell far more than I do him yesterday. As a defender you clear the ball when it’s near you in the box. It really is the most fundamental aspect of defending along with not allowing the ball to bounce. But, like any player, wouldn’t be against some serious competition for him or even a better keeper coming in. We need at least 4 defenders far more than we need a keeper in my opinion.

If in doubt put a boot through the ball and have a row with the goalkeeper later. First rule of defending.

• Like 2

It's how TM calls out Raya and the defense in a scathing attack yet no mention of Smallw*nk who played utter garbage for 45 mins (and 45 games tbf), lucky to be on the pitch (again) and hauled off at half time/when losing (again).

He should never play another minute for Blackburn Rovers... the fact that he will (and probably start again vs Preston) is yet another reason why Mowbray 100% needs to go. 

I would suggest it would be generous to call him our 10th best CM. Buckley, Davenport, Mols, Rankin-Costello all deserve minutes now in the midfield as it's looking less likely Reed will sign given his usage past month (or even play cm) 

Smallwood is a mediocre L1 player and should be treated as such. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

A lot of people mentioning we defended and sat off last season and got away with it are spot on. I just find it ironic the one who seems to have been thrown under the bus most yesterday in Raya was single handedly responsible for us not throwing away leads.

Southend at home and MK Dons away off the top of my head were both games in the run in that he won us points on his own after our inability to defend under pressure. I’m personally happy with Raya and I blame Bell far more than I do him yesterday. As a defender you clear the ball when it’s near you in the box. It really is the most fundamental aspect of defending along with not allowing the ball to bounce. But, like any player, wouldn’t be against some serious competition for him or even a better keeper coming in. We need at least 4 defenders far more than we need a keeper in my opinion.

As I've said before about Bell if he put as much effort into defending as he does attacking then he would be a decent full back. Our first goal and there second goal summed up Bell perfectly for me. For our first goal Bell attacks the ball, reacting quickly to get in front his man. Yet for their second goal he just stands and watches the ball bounce (in his own 6 yard box) right in front of him as the attacker (like Bell for his goal) attacks the ball to score. If Bell shows the desire to clear the ball that he did to score then they don't get that goal.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Eight games ago we were 12 points ahead of Rotherham even with yesterday's result we are still 11 points clear. That's with us getting 1 point in 18. Just don't see the gap being overturned .You would have to think Ipswich are gone and with Bolton having not been paid again and Wheaters straight red you would think they are all but gone.

Just now, Rogerb said:

Eight games ago we were 12 points ahead of Rotherham even with yesterday's result we are still 11 points clear. That's with us getting 1 point in 18. Just don't see the gap being overturned .You would have to think Ipswich are gone and with Bolton having not been paid again and Wheaters straight red you would think they are all but gone.

Imo we're not going down this season, we have enough credit in the bank. I don't think any of the bottom 3 will get more than a point or two  beyond what we have now.

Next season though....... ?

Another example of our 'soft' mentality yesterday was when a Rotherham player was down injured on the right hand touchline as we looked at it. The ball was in Raya's hands and we were behind. Instead of launching the ball forward he kicked the ball out parallel to our penalty area. The Rotherham player had treatment and then they really took the mickey as they couldn't decide who was taking the throw. When they decided the ball was thrown towards the corner flag not direct to Raya. I'd wager the whole incident used up around two and a half minutes. The referee might have stopped the game when Raya kicked the ball into play but for Raya to kick it out was infuriating.

Just now, arbitro said:

Another example of our 'soft' mentality yesterday was when a Rotherham player was down injured on the right hand touchline as we looked at it. The ball was in Raya's hands and we were behind. Instead of launching the ball forward he kicked the ball out parallel to our penalty area. The Rotherham player had treatment and then they really took the mickey as they couldn't decide who was taking the throw. When they decided the ball was thrown towards the corner flag not direct to Raya. I'd wager the whole incident used up around two and a half minutes. The referee might have stopped the game when Raya kicked the ball into play but for Raya to kick it out was infuriating.

Yep,  bang it downfield and let the ref sort it out.

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

If you excelled at your job last year, I'd like to think that you were given a chance to make the next step up. Footballers get paid well, but they are also human beings. Mowbray has probably put too much trust in them, but I don't think he's done too much wrong - and valuably, he has more or less recognised his mistake.

Football isn’t like any other job.

For some reason, Rovers fans seem to think that our club should offer managers and players something that no other professional club in the world offers: blind loyalty.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We said last night that was an excellent example of good game management by Rotherham. They'd been on the rails up to that point, used the 'injury' to stop the game for 4 minutes, took our momentum away and they recovered from that point on to win the game. 

We don't seem to have that nous of how to cope with pressure and play dirty on occasions to get where we need to be.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I believe the club in general is in a much better place than it was two years ago.  The development squad looks strong and offers hope for the future.  At senior level, despite this awful recent run, I believe we are better than two years ago.  This season we only lost one of our opening ten games, but drew too many.  Since then results have been erratic - which is understandable for a club coming up - but we are on course to consolidate in terms of staying in the division although there is still work to do to ensure that.  Looking at the remaining fixtures of the club's below us I don't believe we need that many more points before we can start to give some of the younger players an opportunity.  At the moment we have too many players who have totally lost form - Raya, Mulgrew, Dack etc. were mainstays and now look very indifferent.

My main criticisms of the manager are in two areas.  Firstly I think he should have added a couple of players to the squad in January, particularly as we have ten players out on loan and two long term injuries.  Secondly, like Bob Saxton, I think he has been too loyal to one or two players.  Ultimately that did for Saxton and it will for Mowbray if he doesn't make changes in the summer.  I believe he knows that and I believe he will make changes.  Only time will tell if they are good enough but that's the same with any transfer and any manager.  

But in general, I believe the club as a whole is in a much better place than it was two years ago and Mowbray has had a large part to play in that.  I accept some will disagree but that's football - it's a game of opinions.

I note you haven't mentioned how our style of play has evolved over his tenure. In fact I'd love to know your take on it, has TM improved this aspect and furthermore, what would you say is our 'style' of play?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

“Brought up in a fans forum”?

Glad I listened to that.  As angry as I am I can't help but like the guy but bloody hell Tony you've known this SAME problem has existed for 4 windows and you've done NOWT To address it, the blame is at your feet.  Downing out on loan really?  I'll give you this season and summer and then I will join the Mowbary out movement.

55 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I note you haven't mentioned how our style of play has evolved over his tenure. In fact I'd love to know your take on it, has TM improved this aspect and furthermore, what would you say is our 'style' of play?

This is the crux. The first sign of a bad manager is that they don’t have a style of play. Bowyer was the epitome of this, Coyle was the same.

17 hours ago, Mercer said:

Incredible that you have a scrap of faith left in Mowbray.  Think you would be still backing him if we end up at Pleasington!

I'd even take C o y l e over Mowbray.

I find Mowbray so uninspiring - I think all he prattles on about are values which masks the fact that, IMO, he is capable of little else connected to Rovers. 

Yet you backed him to win Saturday?.  Coyle?  Come on Merc.  You come up with some doozies but that's rich even fir you.  Said a week or so back that we are not safe yet and was scoffed at, I still think we are going to run it close.  Mowbary has fir for monumental collapses and not being able to fix them.

I complained last season something in not right mentally with this group and I maintain that thought.  My gut feel is he's lost the dressing room.  He's lost it cis the players see what we see and more.  It's git them to a "what's the point" mentality.  They too wonder why 7 mil on Brereton, they too wonder about square pegs and round holes, no strengthening, they wonder why better players remain unselected, why faveys get in, why they are out of position.  Fix it or go Tony.

Also, anyone else notice how over the last few games young Travis is going more sideways and backwards, less bursting forward runs and is just less enthusiatic about going forwards?  Has he had this coached out if him, has he contracted Mowbaryitis?

Edited by USABlue

One last thing, someone questioned Nyambe.  We ALL know the young lad is a confidence player, so what does Mowbary do?  Drops him for Bennett for no good reason there by destroying his confidence and making him play scared.  Another monumental error by Mowbary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Yet you backed him to win Saturday?.  Coyle?  Come on Merc.  You come up with some doozies but that's rich even fir you.  Said a week or so back that we are not safe yet and was scoffed at, I still think we are going to run it close.  Mowbary has fir for monumental collapses and not being able to fix them.

I complained last season something in not right mentally with this group and I maintain that thought.  My gut feel is he's lost the dressing room.  He's lost it cis the players see what we see and more.  It's git them to a "what's the point" mentality.  They too wonder why 7 mil on Brereton, they too wonder about square pegs and round holes, no strengthening, they wonder why better players remain unselected, why faveys get in, why they are out of position.  Fix it or go Tony.

Also, anyone else notice how over the last few games young Travis is going more sideways and backwards, less bursting forward runs and is just less enthusiatic about going forwards?  Has he had this coached out if him, has he contracted Mowbaryitis?

Possibly. He has been caught out upfield a lot recently. For their second yesterday he got left for dead, turning our 9 players behind the ball to 5 in a stroke.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It is no excuse for our display but like @Fraserkirky says that ref was appalling.

I often wonder what they think of their performance when watching a match replay, which I assume most do to satisfy their ego's.

That he was but apart from the failure to send off Robertson part way through the 2nd half he was useless both ways.  Almost as appalling as our defending.