BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

37 minutes ago, lraC said:

I think you have been seriously miss understood there. I got what you meant.

Even if you took his quote literally then the answer is still "no".

Even if we were somehow in the top 6 by January (which we aren't now btw) history shows us we won't maintain that in the second half of the season under his stewardship.

And that's before you even get on to the financial mess he has got us into and the situation with the out of contract players.

So no,it wouldn't be logical to give him a new contract in January.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Even if you took his quote literally then the answer is still "no".

Even if we were somehow in the top 6 by January (which we aren't now btw) history shows us we won't maintain that in the second half of the season under his stewardship.

And that's before you even get on to the financial mess he has got us into and the situation with the out of contract players.

So no,it wouldn't be logical to give him a new contract in January.

I agree 100%.

50 minutes ago, Miker said:

I mean, we’re in 7th and the players are still playing for him. I could understand if we were mid table and players wanted him out but that’s not the case is it?

Whatever people think about his quality as a manger, Mowbray hasn’t significantly underachieved in his time here so ending his contract now makes no sense. This is his last chance to get us into the playoffs. If he fails then someone new should come in next season. If he succeeds there’s more of a decision to make.

I have no concerns if he is given money to spend even if a new manager comes in next season. Mowbray has signed more good players than bad.

He definitely underachieved last season. Finished 15th with Armstrong and Elliott in attack

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but we didnt have Ayala and Wharton and that killed us really 

You're like the character  in the Fast Show who changes his mind every time anyone says something different.

You were staunchly pro Mowbray long after most of us had seen through him then you finally changed your mind towards the end of last season and were adamant he had to go, now you seem to be warming to him again.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

You're like the character  in the Fast Show who changes his mind every time anyone says something different.

You were staunchly pro Mowbray long after most of us had seen through him then you finally changed your mind towards the end of last season and were adamant he had to go, now you seem to be warming to him again.

You are imagining things. First quotes from Mowbray "in the LT" and secondly my views towards him, when literally 2-3 posts up I said to Sparks I would like a change.  

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just positing, if we are top 6 in January, would a transfer budget and new contract for Mowbray be logical? 

The problem with Mowbray (ok one of the problems) is that he is a very streaky manager for us. We often go on good runs of being unbeaten, only to follow that up without being able to buy a win.

Because of that, any contract offer needs to wait until the summer. Give him a new 2 year deal (let's say) in Jan because we are 5th/6th but then could very well nose dive down the league and win something like 2 out of 15 games.

I can see where you're coming from but there is also the possibility that him knowing he'll be out of contract at the end of the season might actually prove to be a motivator to make him actually earn a new contract (I know, I know).

As soon as he's got his new deal, he might take the foot off the gas and start talking about Journey's again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that its an issue whereby Mowbray would take his foot off the gas if he was given a new deal but there is absolutely no need to give him one before the end of the season, and only then if we overachieve and make the top 6.

Yeah, I was thinking that not having a new deal sorted might galvanise him a little but if got a new deal he might just revert to type.

I suppose ultimately, he's too streaky to make a consistent assault on the play off places, regardless of his contract situation.

Bit no, I wouldn't be handing him a new contract before the summer and even then, he would have had to pull off something spectacular to even be offered a contract in the summer.

Inevitably, we will tumble down the league to our usual Mowbray place of mid-lower table and hopefully a parting of ways in the summer (at the latest)

I still think we need a change of direction and voice in the dressing room in spite of any potential success that the manager might have upto January.

On a separate topic, I watched the Brereton Diaz short film about his rise and I have to say it is amazing. There’s also a sense of shame as a Rovers fan as to how he was judged. The booing of him a year or two ago is probably an all time low for us as a fan base.

I hope he’s had a positive enough time with the club to sign an extension and that he continues to develop. The fee we eventually receive from his sale is important to us.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1