BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

What absolute tripe 🙄😂

He has us in play off contention for the first time in 10 years. It looked like we may never be here again and most tipped us to be closer to the bottom of the table this season. 

This blinkered Mowbray bashing I think is a combination of people being unable to admit they got it wrong this season and kind of a "I know better than a football manager jack" attitude. Fans at other clubs must be laughing when they read some of this s**te

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What absolute tripe 🙄😂

He has us in play off contention for the first time in 10 years. It looked like we may never be here again and most tipped us to be closer to the bottom of the table this season. 

This blinkered Mowbray bashing I think is a combination of people being unable to admit they got it wrong this season and kind of a "I know better than a football manager jack" attitude. Fans at other clubs must be laughing when they read some of this s**te

I personally don't give a shit what other fans think of us,but that's just me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't either, but I'm making the point that fans of other clubs would read some of this crap and think they would love to be in our position in the table 

I've never been a Mowbray lover but i would say he's deserved the chance to see out the season and see what happens,I will say if we don't go up this season we can forget it for the next few years too with at least half the team probably not here next season.I had hoped his desire to tinker too much with a winning team had left him but it seems it's returned in the last month and our results have shown he's at his best when he just leaves things as they were.

• Like 1

The bigger issue we have with Mowbray, IMO, is his contract position.

At some point, a decision is going to have to be made as to whether he stays or goes come season end. The longer it's left, the bigger a problem it becomes as we could be in a situation of not only havng to replace players on expired contracts, but prior to that having to find a new manager.

On one hand, Mowbray laments the situation with those players whose contracts are expiring, but on the other hand is seemingly content to let his own situation drift. 

Edited by Wheelton Blue

12 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I've never been a Mowbray lover but i would say he's deserved the chance to see out the season and see what happens,I will say if we don't go up this season we can forget it for the next few years too with at least half the team probably not here next season.I had hoped his desire to tinker too much with a winning team had left him but it seems it's returned in the last month and our results have shown he's at his best when he just leaves things as they were.

This tinkering labelling was fair enough, but it was out of his control in most instances recently. If we don't go up I wouldn't just give up on the next few years, yes some will have left, but some wont and we have good young players coming though. No issue with looking at the manager situation at the end of the season, but calls to sack him now are dumb. 

I find it hard to judge Mowbray partly because I just don't know what managerial talent is out there as an alternative and the concerns about our record of appointments, from Ince, Kean, Berg etc. is a worry. However, at some stage we will have to make a change, so that uncertainty can't hold us back forever. If need be, we could try to appoint internally, when the time comes.

The other reason I find it hard to judge Mowbray is I haven't kept track of Rovers' transfer spending compared to other clubs in the league, which is a measure (but not the only) for achievement of a manager. Rovers have spent quite a lot just on squad players or up and coming players, it seems to me, which seems a luxury. Edun, Hedges, Davenport and Chapman, come to mind, and I would speculate that they could be close to or, over, £1m in transfer fees. Then there are loans which must cost us in fees, as well as wages, though I have no idea how much. How that all compares to other clubs, I'm not sure.

The forward line option, last year of Elliot, Armstrong and Brereton (pre-Diaz) does weigh heavily against Mowbray, I feel, given that we finished 15th. Skip a season, in today's inflated transfer market, that's probably a £90-100 million strike force - though Elliot is really a midfielder, Armstrong hasn't yet justified the fee and his valuation is, at least for now, in decline and Brereton will need to maintain his form to justify a huge fee. Throw in Rothwell and some other talents from the squad last year, and I think an argument can be made that Mowbray has an eye for attacking players but hasn't  often put together a team.

This half season, or so, has changed that, and Mowbray has found a winning formula. However, it is only half a season and we need a lot more to prove that it isn't just a temporary improvement.

Edit: I'd also make the argument that Mowbray's taken his eye of youth progression, having benefited and enabled the homegrown system producing Travis, Nyambe, Buckley, Lenihan, Wharton and JRC for his squad. It's not an argument that can really be proved, as it could be equally be argued that the standard of talent coming through hasn't been maintained and some have suffered big injury set-backs. Though, it should be said, the standard of first team players has been poor, at times.

Having five 'homegrown' players in the team at the moment, even if some were signed up from other clubs as teenagers, is huge for a club like Rovers and the progression needs to be maintained to sustain us a club.

Edited by riverholmes

Sorry if this has already been covered and I have missed it, but what might we most realistically read into the fact that Mowbray is now just a few months from the end of his contract, and an extension doesn't appear to have been agreed yet?

1. An extension has been agreed but not announced?
2. An extension is dependent on Rovers finish to the season?
3. Mowbray hasn't yet been offered (improved) terms he is happy with?
4. Mowbray wants to leave at the end of his contract?
5. Venky's have already decided to replace him at the end of the season?
6. Venky's haven't engaged in contract discussion, or shown any interest in the club?

Whilst my view is option 2 is the most sensible, my money would have to be on option 6. But perhaps others know more about these, or other, options?

22 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I find it hard to judge Mowbray partly because I just don't know what managerial talent is out there as an alternative and the concerns about our record of appointments, from Kean to Ince, is a worry. However, at some stage we will have to make a change, so that uncertainty can't hold us back forever. If need be, we could try to appoint internally, when the time comes.

The other reason I find it hard to judge Mowbray is I haven't kept track of Rovers' transfer spending compared to other clubs in the league, which is a measure (but not the only) for achievement of a manager. Rovers have spent quite a lot just on squad players or up and coming players, it seems to me, which seems a luxury. Edun, Hedges, Davenport and Chapman, come to mind, and I would speculate that they could be close to or, over, £1m in transfer fees. Then there are loans which must cost us in fees, as well as wages, though I have no idea how much. How that all compares to other clubs, I'm not sure.

The forward line option, last year of Elliot, Armstrong and Brereton (pre-Diaz) does weigh heavily against Mowbray, I feel, given that we finished 15th. Skip a season, in today's inflated transfer market, that's probably a £90-100 million strike force - though Elliot is really a midfielder, Armstrong hasn't yet justified the fee and his valuation is, at least for now, in decline and Brereton will need to maintain his form to justify a huge fee. Throw in Rothwell and some other talents from the squad last year, and I think an argument can be made that Mowbray has an eye for attacking players but hasn't  often put together a team.

This half season, or so, has changed that, and Mowbray has found a winning formula. However, it is only half a season and we need a lot more to prove that it isn't just a temporary improvement.

About £1.5 million and I don't think that's a lot, at all, for 4 players. They were all worth the risk at what we paid for them...

Then you have Dack, Armstrong, Pickering, Rothwell and Brereton.... You could be looking at the bones of £80 million recouped there going off what their values went up to under Mowbray ,leaving aside injuries and contract issues that are ,by and large, out of Mowbrays control.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Like pushing Speedie out because it was the only way to get Shearer.

Completely off topic, but if Rovers thought Speedie's contribution was so difficult to replace and was probably worth £750+ to replace, had we gone to Southampton with £4million instead of £3.3million I'm sure they would have took it.

Don't get me round I was gutted he left, but considering we could outbid and buy most players in the league at that point, we could surely have increased the bid to an offer that Saints couldn't have turned down.

Edited by Hasta

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

About £1.5 million and I don't think that's a lot, at all, for 4 players. They were all worth the risk at what we paid for them...

Then you have Dack, Armstrong, Pickering, Rothwell and Brereton.... You could be looking at the bones of £80 million recouped there going off what their values went up to under Mowbray ,leaving aside injuries and contract issues that are ,by and large, out of Mowbrays control.  

I'm not sure anyone can say that contract issues have been out of Mowbray's control.

He was able to get approval to give expensive contract extensions to Bennett, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans and expensive deals to Downing and Holtby. I am pretty sure that in the summer of 2020 he could have focused his budget on new deals for Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell and there would have been more than enough scope in there to get those done. Instead they were overlooked and the money spent on other things.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Devon Rover said:

Sorry if this has already been covered and I have missed it, but what might we most realistically read into the fact that Mowbray is now just a few months from the end of his contract, and an extension doesn't appear to have been agreed yet?

Knowing the type of chap Mowbray is, he'll not want anything to distract from the footballing side of things, so I bet its on the backburner. It won't be a popular theory on here, but all the same it certainly seems that way.

I can think of plenty of examples where the managers contract situation would be all over the press, put there by the manager himself, but not in this case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really hoping Mowbray doesn't get an extension, and we see the likes of:

Ben Benson, Lowe, Waggot, and Venus all leave. 

We need qualified people that are used to winning and have the credentials to actually be in a coaching setup of a premier League ambitious club.

Is there any scope in your mind that dependant on the rest of the season, that could change?

If we go up, it would be an outstanding achievement, of course he would deserve one. 

Even if we got in the play offs and didnt go up, that would be an achievement and would for me warrant an extension.

I think you have to take a step back and put aside a seemingly inflexible opinion of Mowbray as a person. Say for a different club with our comparatively low resources, say we finish 4th and lose in the play off finals. If we had a vacancy in the summer, we wouldn't believe our luck if someone with a recent season like that was available, you talk about credentials, yet seemingly if Mowbray took us to that, close but just missed out, he would be binned mainly based on opinions held prior to this season.

If we stumble and finish outside the play offs, then I think you go for a fresh start.

• Like 1

• Backroom

If we don't go up I'm ready for a change, even if we finish in the playoff positions. I haven't forgotten Mowbray inciting the fans to argue with each other on the terraces when small sections started to get on his back before Christmas. For me that in of itself was enough to want him gone - irresponsible and childish behaviour. There have been other incidents, but that one in particular I find very hard to get past. Trying to pit the fans against each other is extremely poor behaviour from the club's manager, to say the least.  

I won't argue against the idea that he's done a good job getting us into the position we're in this season, but there are a lot of managers who have had excellent one off seasons which don't represent their actual ability. Owen Coyle for one. Mowbray is well above Coyle but the general point remains that this kind of thing does happen for certain clubs sometimes. Shrewsbury had a very similar situation during our League 1 campaign - Paul Hurst then went on to tank Ipswich into oblivion and now manages Grimsby in the non-leagues.

If we finish outside of the playoffs then of course he should be shown the door as soon as it's mathematically impossible for us to reach 6th. That would be a monumental screw up, eclipsing the 2 wins in 17 disaster which nuked any chance of playoff contention last season.  

• Like 6

On 11/02/2022 at 12:33, Wheelton Blue said:

On one hand, Mowbray laments the situation with those players whose contracts are expiring, but on the other hand is seemingly content to let his own situation drift. 

He seemingly won't play Nyambe because his contract is up at the end of the season so perhaps he should leave himself out of the dug out as well for the next match using the same criteria?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He seemingly won't play Nyambe because his contract is up at the end of the season so perhaps he should leave himself out of the dug out as well for the next match using the same criteria?

You've assumed that it is solely down to his contract situation. Considering that Rothwell, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Khadra, Giles and indeed Zeefuik all only have the rest of the year on their deals here, it is clearly not the stance that he has taken. Was just a selection decision, one that I would agree was the wrong one, but no need to look so deep into it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roverandout said:

If he takes us up he deserves a chance but personally I would dump him anyway.  Anything less than playoffs he needs to go

If he takes us up, think we could do better but probably deserves a brief crack at it, rolling 12 m deal.

If we don't go up, thanks for leaving us another £120m in debt and with many of our best players walking out for nothing. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

You've assumed that it is solely down to his contract situation. Considering that Rothwell, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Khadra, Giles and indeed Zeefuik all only have the rest of the year on their deals here, it is clearly not the stance that he has taken. Was just a selection decision, one that I would agree was the wrong one, but no need to look so deep into it.

Contract or the misguided belief that Zeefuick is better than Nyambe is irrelevant.

It was the wrong decision and we lost the game as we have every time Nyambe hasn't started recently.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there any scope in your mind that dependant on the rest of the season, that could change?

If we go up, it would be an outstanding achievement, of course he would deserve one. 

Even if we got in the play offs and didnt go up, that would be an achievement and would for me warrant an extension.

I think you have to take a step back and put aside a seemingly inflexible opinion of Mowbray as a person. Say for a different club with our comparatively low resources, say we finish 4th and lose in the play off finals. If we had a vacancy in the summer, we wouldn't believe our luck if someone with a recent season like that was available, you talk about credentials, yet seemingly if Mowbray took us to that, close but just missed out, he would be binned mainly based on opinions held prior to this season.

If we stumble and finish outside the play offs, then I think you go for a fresh start.

You have to be ruthless.

If we go up, do we want a repeat of Mowbray's failed Premier League Season with WBA or his, IMO, abysmal time at Celtic?  The answer is no so you say thank you very much Tony but your contract wont be extended, your stock will have increased in the football world so good luck elsewhere.  You then appoint a manager who will give you a much better chance of keeping us up and developing the club - like a Sean Dyche. a Graham Potter, a Ralph Hassenhutl etc.

If we don't go up, Mowbray will have failed after over 5 years at the helm.

We can't afford to regress or tread water any longer.

We need change at the end of the season and there can be no sentimentality.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

I also think for a lot of fans the Spector of Steve Kean looms large over the football club. So Mowbray is afforded so much wiggle room for the reason that the benchmark for success is that at least things aren’t as bad as under Kean. Perhaps when a new generation of fans come through who don’t remember it things will be better but the flip side of that coin is they’ll have only known Rovers as an abomination of a football club. Rock and a hard place. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We can't afford to regress or tread water any longer.

We need change at the end of the season and there can be no sentimentality.

I don’t think it’s gone unnoticed that you disappeared during the fantastic run we’ve been on, but have now miraculously reappeared after a few losses, Houdini like and it’s great to have you back.

This will probably be our best ever season in the championship under these owners, certainly Mowbrays best points total, it’s hardly treading water or regression, it’s progress season upon season.

Edited by Gav