BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, Nuttall is lost said:

When was the last time you could see a game from the hill/park behind the Riverside stand? Its like a jungle up there now with zero view of the stadium.

It's been like that for a good few years now. I remember standing briefly at the top on Manxman Road whilst a couple of night games were on during the late 90s. It was a good vantage point with no trees blocking the view. Just had a look on Google Maps and the park is right next to where I stood back then.

Went to the same spot on Manxman Road about 7 or 8 years ago I think it was, for the nostalgia and to have a look at the ground and was met by the jungle you mention.

The City fans were up there in their numbers back in May 2000 for their promotion game, so it was fine then. I don't think it's been close to 20 years of the jungle. Possibly closer to 10 I'd say, as a guess.

• Like 1

This happened in the same season as the Palace playoff disaster, probably 2 of the worst days I've had following the club, gutted.

Drawing 3rd division Brentford at home in 5th round of the cup was a given, I was already dreaming of a Semi-Final at Villa Park, but Gary Blissett had other ideas.....

FA Cup Round 5

Date: Sat 18th February 1989
Venue: Ewood Park
Result: Blackburn 0 Brentford 2
Crowd: 15,280
Goalscorers:  Blissett (70), Blissett (80)

8889blackburn310-sm-1080x571.jpg

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's been like that for a good few years now. I remember standing briefly at the top on Manxman Road whilst a couple of night games were on during the late 90s. It was a good vantage point with no trees blocking the view. Just had a look on Google Maps and the park is right next to where I stood back then.

Went to the same spot on Manxman Road about 7 or 8 years ago I think it was, for the nostalgia and to have a look at the ground and was met by the jungle you mention.

The City fans were up there in their numbers back in May 2000 for their promotion game, so it was fine then. I don't think it's been close to 20 years of the jungle. Possibly closer to 10 I'd say, as a guess.

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

6AE9E788-52FE-486C-BC3C-A81711C0304E.jpeg

yeah was up there last week.  Dr Livingstone I presume?

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

I remember you could see the whole stadium from the train as you passed by.  Can see nowt now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, renrag said:

I only saw him a couple of times, once at Burnley and in the semi final replay, as we were in the second division for most of his career. What I do remember he was lightning fast and had a reputation as a poor header. The Geordies rated him higher than the England selectors and usually preferred Nat Lofthouse. I should have seen him a third time in the semi at Hillsborough. I had a ticket but on the Thursday before the game, I dislocated my shoulder by messing around on the school bus. My grandma took me to hospital on Friday morning and the doctor said he needed to see me on the Saturday. When my mum took me on Saturday, I only saw a nurse she had at cursory look and said everything seemed ok. I swore my gran colluded with the bloody doctor to stop me going. She denied it but as I was off school there was no way I was missing the replay

I saw Lofthouse play once at the tail end of his career. Very much like Shearer in style. He chased a long bouncing ball out onto the right wing. When he caught up with it he was about 3 yards in from the touchline and the byline. He just smashed the ball on the volley past an amazed goalie who thought it was going out and was getting set to take a goal kick !

That 1952 semi final I vaguely remember the hype about it. I had just turned 9. I saw the newsreel at the cinema where we drew 0-0 (I think). The commentator said we were the first team to stop Newcastle's inexorable march to the final, for they had won every tie at first attempt.

We were a second division side and Newcastle were a strong first division side. In fact I think the 1951/52 season was when we were bottom of the league, six points (three wins) away from the next club after 16 games and staring relegation in the face to the third tier for the first time in the club's history. I saw the opening home match v Sheffield United when we lost 5-1

Players were signed rapidly and by 1952 we were playing brilliant football and climbing up the league. 

I cannot remember who signed first but we got Albert Nightingale, Willie Kelly, Reg Elvy, EddieQuigley and amateur Bill Holmes. What a pleasure it was to watch this team. The funny thing was that Jackie Bestall was manager when we were bottom of the league and still manager when we reached the semi-final. Bestall managed us from 1949 to 1953. So Rovers weren't hasty in sacking managers in those days.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bazza said:

That 1952 semi final I vaguely remember the hype about it. I had just turned 9. I saw the newsreel at the cinema where we drew 0-0 (I think). The commentator said we were the first team to stop Newcastle's inexorable march to the final, for they had won every tie at first attempt.

We were a second division side and Newcastle were a strong first division side. In fact I think the 1951/52 season was when we were bottom of the league, six points (three wins) away from the next club after 16 games and staring relegation in the face to the third tier for the first time in the club's history. I saw the opening home match v Sheffield United when we lost 5-1

Players were signed rapidly and by 1952 we were playing brilliant football and climbing up the league. 

I cannot remember who signed first but we got Albert Nightingale, Willie Kelly, Reg Elvy, EddieQuigley and amateur Bill Holmes. What a pleasure it was to watch this team. The funny thing was that Jackie Bestall was manager when we were bottom of the league and still manager when we reached the semi-final. Bestall managed us from 1949 to 1953. So Rovers weren't hasty in sacking managers in those days.

Even less so these days.

• Like 1

Just went on to the Rovers website and saw the headline:

"Fenton set to reach Rovers milestone"

My eyes lit up for a second as I thought "Eh, Graham?". Then the image loaded up. It was about a Rovers Ladies player making her 200th appearance tomorrow.

It gave me an excuse to find the highlights (12 minute clip) of that famous game. I think this was taken from MOTD that evening in April 1996.

10 hours ago, bazza said:

I'm sure that this clip has already featured in this thread but worth another look ... beating Burnley our 'almost near neighbours' , Holmes major contribution to this game, the crowd scenes ... and .... 'quartered' shirts.

Excellent quality video and camera work from 1952!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Just went on to the Rovers website and saw the headline:

"Fenton set to reach Rovers milestone"

My eyes lit up for a second as I thought "Eh, Graham?". Then the image loaded up. It was about a Rovers Ladies player making her 200th appearance tomorrow.

It gave me an excuse to find the highlights (12 minute clip) of that famous game. I think this was taken from MOTD that evening in April 1996.

It’s like watching another sport entirely. Too much running around and not enough sideways passing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm sure that this clip has already featured in this thread but worth another look ... beating Burnley our 'almost near neighbours' , Holmes major contribution to this game, the crowd scenes ... and .... 'quartered' shirts.

Excellent quality video and camera work from 1952!

Loved it! Seeing those kids sitting over the fence and remembering I used to be one! And what a crowd.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1