30 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Because he was out of contract and no longer earning £35k a week.

I accept he might not quite be able to command £35 or £40k p.w. again elsewhere but the fact he's a free agent would tend to drive his wage up rather than down. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It is now, the chart was provided to you for last season a few weeks ago when we had the original discussion. I can't be arsed going back to look for it.

I'm not defending Venkys or Waggott BTW. I'm sure an accountant on here can explain the losses of £20m. But as previously discussed, Mowbray has spent a lot of money relative to the clubs you mention and recouped very little. Hence some of the losses. 

Waggott said we were mid way on wages during the 2018--19 season when we were back in the Championship.

So we somehow dropped from being mid way in 2018 to towards the bottom end in 2019-20? How did that happen? 

Just now, OssyLad said:

Not naive, more realistic LAD

Oh, I thought you said ‘badly advised’. I guess you meant something else. After 10 years that doesn’t wash any more.

13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It is now, the chart was provided to you for last season a few weeks ago when we had the original discussion. I can't be arsed going back to look for it.

I'm not defending Venkys or Waggott BTW. I'm sure an accountant on here can explain the losses of £20m. But as previously discussed, Mowbray has spent a lot of money relative to the clubs you mention and recouped very little. Hence some of the losses. 

Not all about playing wages though. I thought that was around £18 million and of offset by tv and gate income probably takes us down to a £10 million deficit . Then you have an army of employees - think there were about 240 of them all told In the accounts .( including £350k for Waggott alone). Then you have academy / junior teams, ladies teams travelling midweek to places like Southampton / charlton / Brighton, first team travel and hotels and a stadium to run . There will be frightening costs and wastage in areas we barely even consider .How many staff cars do we run?? I bet travel and hotels alone across the club as a whole will be eye watering . I bet taking nearly 30 staff and players to an away game will be plenty and that’s just 23 league games for one team .What would the Pre season In Portugal cost for a week for 40 or so players and staff? It’s mental .
All adds up  But whatever it’s an awful lot more than simply squad wages and agents fees.

The whole policy makes no sense to me.  It's like saying we could spend £4million on a player...but only if they come on £10k a week - which isn't commensurate with that kind of fee....so we don't sign anybody.  

No wonder we can't get any decent players through the door.  Certainly not from the Prem or top half champ clubs.  

Surely there's ways of navigating the structure for a player on a free.  Large signing on fee but lower wage etc.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Scott McKenna
Position: Centre-Back
Foot: Left
Club: Aberdeen
Nationality: Scottish ???????
Contract Expiry: 30/06/2023

Player Heat-Map:

561266991_Screenshot2020-09-09at22_04_37.png.97ed33b3ab38abafd0251aa294e8f517.png

Defensive Capabilities: (In Brackets = Darragh Lenihan Comparison)
Aerial Duels Won %: 66.9% (61%)
Aerial Duels Won Per Game: 8.35 (8.37)
Tackle Success %: 73.7% (65.4%)
Yellow Cards Per Match: 0.14 (0.30)
Interceptions Per Game: 5.14 (7.11)

Passing Capabilities: (In Brackets = Darragh Lenihan Comparison)
Pass Accuracy %: 78.4% (78.9%)
Passes Per Game: 36.7 (43.3)
Passes To Final 3rd Per Game: 6.73 (8.98)
Long Passes Per Game: 6.77 (9.00)

In essence, McKenna is much more rough and tough than Lenihan, a physical presence and a more traditional defender. At 6ft 2" McKenna has a little bit more physicality about his game, and can win a few more headers. He's not a passer, nothing like Tosin, and he doesn't fit Mowbray's style of play particularly well. He has some of the best defensive stats in Scotland however, and his tackling and defensive capabilities are better than, but at the least equal to, Darragh Lenihan's (our undisputed best centre-back).

Being left-footed massively helps him, and would massively help us. A combative centre-half like Lenihan who can comfortably play on the left hand side of a two is exactly what I believe would be great. I think Naby Sarr with his left foot and 6ft 4" presence also fits this bill, and he's a freebie!

Out of interest, is that bottom conclusive paragraph based solely on the stats ot based on watching him play? I have not seen him play much and would be wary to come to a conclusion based solely on data.

For me though, being good on the ball is a luxury at the moment. Kipre and Ayala are very much old school defenders, neither will bring it out from the back but both can do the basics and defend. The issue with McKenna seems to be the price.

Same with full back. Rankin Costello there would give us more going forward compared to Nyambe but even v Doncaster he was run ragged by the winger. We wont stop conceding if we prioritise playing it out from the back over solidity.

Not sure on Sarr either. As the "second" centre back maybe but as an actual defender there seems to be more questions than answers surrounding him. 

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

2- My eternal confusion of our transfer policy is that surely, it can’t be a mystery how much players cost and how much they want to be paid. I accept I don’t work in football and have no clue about transfers, but surely, the first things you’d ask are the fee and wages?!

That for me is the crux of the matter. It surely is a matter of one phone call to the player's agent to ascertain their approximate demands yet we make it sound like it's rocket science. It is surely then a relatively simple matter to assess whether or not there's a bit of leeway for negotiation and whether or not it's worth spending time and effort pursuing the player.

Our tactic seems to be offer a fraction of what the player or selling Club want, hope they miraculously and for no good reason cave in at the last minute then act all surprised and hurt when someone comes in offering the actual asking price.

So now the list is shortening by the day, who realistically are we looking at for CB? 

Mawson, Ayala, Kipre etc. All moved on. It’s looking like the European market or take a chance on the youth......both have their gambles! 

who’s everyone’s 1st choice now?

The famous Rovers wage bill, i bet the payroll would make real interesting reading.

Anyway it looks like we might have to prepare for rotating young center halves. Get the tombola machine serviced and ready....

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The whole policy makes no sense to me.  It's like saying we could spend £4million on a player...but only if they come on £10k a week - which isn't commensurate with that kind of fee....so we don't sign anybody.  

No, makes no sense whatsoever.

It would explain the Brereton signing though, owners getting itchy feet about no signings towards the end of that window as well, so make the extra transfer money available but the only way we can sign a £7m player and fit him into our wage structure is to sign a 19 year old.

6 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

It is interesting the club never shut up about the wage and finance structure they have in place ........

After we fucking paid 5 million for that donkey Gallagher

and seven million for a fragile,so called centre forward who can`t do anything,iv`e given up on waggot and mowbray,they don`t exist in my world anymore

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The few takeaways from the last few pages of posts and my views on them all....

1- I don’t mind that we have a salary cap, I’d rather we were more prudent financially, as we are a shit ton in debt. 
2- My eternal confusion of our transfer policy is that surely, it can’t be a mystery how much players cost and how much they want to be paid. I accept I don’t work in football and have no clue about transfers, but surely, the first things you’d ask are the fee and wages?!

3- We are three days away from the start of the season and we haven’t stopped faffing yet.

The players we have gone for (Ayala and Kipre) are on wages that are within our budget, so they are seen as reasonable targets. 

What can you do though if another club comes in and offers double or triple what you’re offering in terms of wages? The player will obviously choose the better deal and we are unwilling to up our offer due to the salary caps.

I don’t think it’s really a mystery.

The frustrating thing for me is that the club claim to have a scouting network and yet everytime we go in for a player it turns out that Mowbray knows him from a previous club.  What do these scouts do as they certainly don't produce any new players.

Personally I'm all in favour of not spending big if we can't afford it but if you have the right scouting in place that doesn't stop you from getting good players in who can make a difference.  plenty of others have done it in recent years. We seem, to be unable to make any moves in the market and this is presumably cos we're only identifying players who other clubs are after as well  .  

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, is that bottom conclusive paragraph based solely on the stats ot based on watching him play? I have not seen him play much and would be wary to come to a conclusion based solely on data.

Both clips and data. Cannot upload the video files onto here as the sizes are far too big for whats allowed.

Just now, JoeH said:

Both clips and data. Cannot upload the video files onto here as the sizes are far too big for whats allowed.

Only problem with clips and highlights is that its unlikely to highlight weaknesses and errors and impossible to gain a full picture.

The stats/data are as variable to the team they play for as the player themselves. Although interesting to read.

17 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Not all about playing wages though. I thought that was around £18 million and of offset by tv and gate income probably takes us down to a £10 million deficit . Then you have an army of employees - think there were about 240 of them all told In the accounts .( including £350k for Waggott alone). Then you have academy / junior teams, ladies teams travelling midweek to places like Southampton / charlton / Brighton, first team travel and hotels and a stadium to run . There will be frightening costs and wastage in areas we barely even consider .How many staff cars do we run?? I bet travel and hotels alone across the club as a whole will be eye watering . I bet taking nearly 30 staff and players to an away game will be plenty and that’s just 23 league games for one team .What would the Pre season In Portugal cost for a week for 40 or so players and staff? It’s mental .
All adds up  But whatever it’s an awful lot more than simply squad wages and agents fees.

I think the wage bill is closer to £23m but I agree with your point. The losses @JHRover mentions are not just from playing costs. Owning a football club outside the Prem, and especially in the Championship, is a very expensive business. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It is odd and weirdly honourable that TM and SW will not overspend. Especially because as we all know by now, all you really have to do with Venkys is ask for more and you will receive it! 

Yeah they really gave Bowyer, C**le and Lambert millions didn’t they ?

Funny how this now fabled and expensive recruitment dept is coming up with names everybody already knows are good and other teams are already in front of us.

About time it turned up a few rabbits out the hat, hopefully the keeper is one.