Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Or preparing the fan base for the sale of one of our star players.

Other alternative is that it is a message to other clubs, agents and players to be more realistic.

I’d go with the latter I’d say he has a shopping list and is playing the dangerous waiting game. With possibly a few loan deals lined up if it doesn’t work out. But then I’m an optimist (after the last few windows I should have learnt my lesson) 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think so. Looking at Mowbray's comments to Andy Bayes, one minute he says he got no money then saying we got for one permanent signing or 2 loan signings and then he says he knows to the penny how much we got to spend. So very confusing to be honest. 

when asked about Manning he says he like the player and we were believed to be close to signing on Friday given what has been said on here and twitter so what happen to this signing. Did the selling club pull the transfer or did the asking price change, Player fail the medical or personal terms change. 

We will see in the coming days and weeks. 

We cannot sell Armstrong for any price as he is key player in us being able to get promotion or not in my Opinion

One permanent or two loans matters not. It isnt enough either way.

Mowbray has admitted this earlier this summer, which is why he wanted two CBs, another goalkeeper, a LB and ideally a CM and RB. Since then we've added Ayala (good signing but doesn't cover two slots at once) and lost Travis probably until January (making a CM addition more important, though a loan in that position would be sensible rather than a permanent until Travis returns).

So it seems our shopping list has been revised down from another 5 players to one or maybe two (on loan).

Not good enough.

If you want an indication of how our window has gone, Preston are a full 61 pages ahead of us in their Summer Transfer Window thread.

I would expect us to finish above PNE given their apparent stagnation, but we all know that's not how it works in the real world.

Going off what Tony has said I think we need to spend the lot on a decent left back, see where we are in the next window and then if we are looking like we can sustain a play off place , go to India , show them how vital it is we don’t blow our best chance, ask them to sign a cheque or two (as we all know they never refuse) and get the quality in on loan to push us to where we need to be, if we are still mid table and inconsistent then save the begging bowl for the summer window and give some youth a chance if anyone is ready to step up or wee with the willy we have 

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We cannot sell Armstrong for any price as he is key player in us being able to get promotion or not in my Opinion

May not be the clubs decision - look at Shearer.

Difficult to deny a player a shot at the Premiership - all we can do is get the biggest transfer possible.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

One permanent or two loans matters not. It isnt enough either way.

Mowbray has admitted this earlier this summer, which is why he wanted two CBs, another goalkeeper, a LB and ideally a CM and RB. Since then we've added Ayala (good signing but doesn't cover two slots at once) and lost Travis probably until January (making a CM addition more important, though a loan in that position would be sensible rather than a permanent until Travis returns).

So it seems our shopping list has been revised down from another 5 players to one or maybe two (on loan).

Not good enough.

I agree it's not good enough but the talk of two centre backs was on the provision we lost Williams,he is still here and ok cover at centre back.

We need a first team lb and a competent number 2 goalkeeper

15 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Going off what Tony has said I think we need to spend the lot on a decent left back, see where we are in the next window and then if we are looking like we can sustain a play off place , go to India , show them how vital it is we don’t blow our best chance, ask them to sign a cheque or two (as we all know they never refuse) and get the quality in on loan to push us to where we need to be, if we are still mid table and inconsistent then save the begging bowl for the summer window and give some youth a chance if anyone is ready to step up or wee with the willy we have 

Unless we are keeping Williams - still need cover at Centre Back - also need decent back up keeper.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18734840.this-close---mowbray-feels-rovers-wont-far-away-year/

"While we've had amazing support, I feel we're almost on the cusp of having a pretty good team in this league this year but yet here we are, where in previous years we've been able to buy a £5m centre forward and a £6m striker, we are this close, yet this year because of Covid it's not there for us and I'm not sure we're right bang in the middle of it"

You shouldn't have wasted the money you did get, Tony.

Wonder if finally a little bit of pressure is being applied from above and this is his response via the media ?

A little plea for a bit more backing maybe although from their point of view and ours the amazing support hes had in the last 2 summers needs to be in payback mode now.

1 minute ago, Ruaney said:

So, is anyone signing today or was all that a load of bollocks on Friday? ?

Things aren’t as black and white as that. Sometimes info is wrong, or deals are scuppered. We all heard TM’s interview, somethings obviously changed.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Things aren’t as black and white as that. Sometimes info is wrong, or deals are scuppered. We all heard TM’s interview, somethings obviously changed.

Yeah, I get that. I was being facetious really! Can't have been scuppered if he had signed though. Info most likely wrong / made up.

If money isn’t there to buy or loan, I’d rather us utilise the academy and JRC across LB, RB and Wing. Bell has been... ok and we still have Williams. I’d rather not see us spunk our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan. 

We are comfortably mid table but with a little luck, we could sneak into the playoffs. 

IMO

On Manning, we are at the stage where nobody should take anything said seriously.

There are clearly very tough negotiations with QPR and the player's agent.

Fans have been conditioned for these failing but what Mowbray has said is also addressed to the player, his agent and QPR.

Fingers crossed time- deal is not dead but we are not going to be legged over either so could easily die today. 

If the player is hell bent on leaving QPR, it all depends on who else is in the beauty parade of interested clubs and how determined they are. If there is a chance that QPR and the player can kiss and make up, I wouldn't rate our chances. 

I think we could just about survive with no further signings except a left back. Left back is critical. Besides the fact that Bell is not consistent enough, if he gets injured we don't have anyone. JRC, William, Bennett, Mulgrew etc can fill in but they are all very weak there in different ways.

Need someone.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

We are comfortably mid table but with a little luck, we could sneak into the playoffs. 

I dont agree. I think we can be mid table IF we avoid any more injuries and IF our key men do the business.

However if we continue to sustain injuries or key men lose form our lack of depth and options is alarming and will probably see us struggle.

Even if we were in with a chance of the play offs, should we really be relying on luck to potentially 'sneak into' the play offs? Or should we be aiming higher and trying to take luck out of the equation as much as possible?

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

So true.

I remember the likes of Geoff Hutt, Andy Burgin, Chris Sulley etc - left backs bought with washers and ten times better than Bell.

Just where the feck do our scouts look!?!?

Yeah Andy Burgin, we got him from Halifax for a handful of magic beans and a toilet seat. Twice the left back that Bell will ever be. Mick Heaton on the other flank, a free transfer from Sheff Utd !

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think we could just about survive with no further signings except a left back. Left back is critical. Besides the fact that Bell is not consistent enough, if he gets injured we don't have anyone. JRC, William, Bennett, Mulgrew etc can fill in but they are all very weak there in different ways.

Need someone.

Yep. If what he said is true then we must use that money for a decent permanent left back. Been such a weak link save for Cunningham’s 5 or so matches there last season.

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Don’t quite get this, surely there is a 3rd option besides spending and loans and that’s using the free agent market?

Ayala hopefully is proof of the quality available atm. Not sure if free agents are entitled to signing on fees or not though?

They are indeed and it’s often at inflated levels as they use the fact the club paid no transfer fee. Think when Aaron Ramsey signed for Juventus for free he pocketed 15/20million as a sign on fee!