BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

1 - Probably take him a while to get up to speed, we absolutely need another CB addition.

2 - Never played a game of professional football at any level.

3 - Davenport has 5 starts for the club in over 3 years, Garrett none.

4 - Agreed, if something happens to Pickering we can't be relying on Cirino step up, or for JRC to play there as he's made of glass. 

It would benefit some of the younger ones and the club long term if the  likes of Vale, Garrett, Cirino , McBride and Carter(if we sign a center half) got loaned out for the season.

Garrett looked very good against Leeds though,I hope he gets a start tonight

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Rothwell has had his chances. Not playing well enough isn’t mis-management. He’s been too inconsistent throughout his time here. For an attacking midfielder, his stats are below average and he has played in his preferred position often enough.

He would probably want to be up around our highest earners to renew and I agree his performances on a whole ain't deserving of that .

On his day he can look class but those days don't come around too often 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Just seen this.....  Memories from more than 50 years ago are fading but I remember him as a reserve to Blacklaw. I'm surprised he was our No 1 in 1966-67 which wasn't a bad season as we were near the top most of the time. I can only say our defence must have been good!

I remember standing in the shed behind the bowler's arm at East Lancs CC. One of the wags shouted as the EL wicketkeeper dived and missed a ball down the leg side: "have you been wtaching Barton?". 

It was funny at the time

My memory of Barton was that even when having a good game, he was always likely to make the most horrendous and costly error.  He went from an ever-present in 66-67, when we finished fourth and enjoyed a decent season, to becoming the regular back-up to Adam Blacklaw, the old Burnley favourite, the following season.

Not the tallest, to say the least, and somewhat portly in build he nonetheless carved out a career that lasted over a decade with Preston North End and ourselves but was mostly spent playing in the Central League.

Happy memories of a time when supporting Rovers seemed so much more enjoyable than today.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JHRover said:

And now he's in the PL with Brentford whilst we would consider 21st in the Championship a good season.

So he's come out of that deal the better off, as have Brentford.

Weird logic where people still try to justify player sales when the ex player is now a league above us.

A bit like the folk who went on about Rhodes going to Middlesbrough yet he got a promotion and a shot at the PL. OK it didn't work out but it beats relegation to League One.

We got Kaminski a year after selling Raya. So in between we had Walton, yet another loan, who was poor. We wasted 12 months of our FFP cycle and now look at us - you reckon having to slash costs to comply with the rules. Yes Kaminski is good, and we got him at a good price. Also looks like we are going to lose him at a bargain price too. What do you have to say about that?

If Raya wanted out of here to join Brentford then that says more about this setup than it does about him. An academy graduate who had made the grade, established himself as Number 1 and won promotion the year before - wanting to leave us to join Brentford? Why??

Why do you just accept these things as though it is normal and unavoidable for decent players to want out to join other Championship clubs? I find it concerning and alarming.

Good for Raya but Brentford haven;t got the better as he still have a mistake in it and he will be exposed in the PL. 

Its more weird Logoc the way that people want to justify it by saying we should have kept. 

Kaminski has 1wo years left on his contract cos we have club option on him and he is twice the keeper Raya. 

Raya wanted out and his agent got him out of the club. Players come and go. If players want to leave then they will. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a coincidence. The club that buy our prized asset just happen to have a chap we are interested in signing permanently...  has Mowbray been asleep all summer..  

If Palace had signed AA would we still be after Obafemi 🙄 lazy CEO , lazy manager, lazy club.

• Like 5

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

What a coincidence. The club that buy our prized asset just happen to have a chap we are interested in signing permanently...  has Mowbray been asleep all summer..  

If Palace had signed AA would we still be after Obafemi 🙄 lazy CEO , lazy manager, lazy club.

Sometimes opportunities present themselves 

Would Obafemi be for sale if Southampton don’t buy Armstrong? Maybe not 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good for Raya but Brentford haven;t got the better as he still have a mistake in it and he will be exposed in the PL. 

Its more weird Logoc the way that people want to justify it by saying we should have kept. 

Kaminski has 1wo years left on his contract cos we have club option on him and he is twice the keeper Raya. 

Raya wanted out and his agent got him out of the club. Players come and go. If players want to leave then they will. 

Chaddy if Raya was still here he would be a great player in your opinion.

It's like last week debating with me over loan signings, you were adamant you didn't want loan signings brought in.Now we are seemingly signing the lad from Brighton you are happy about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And Nyambe and Rothwell and all the others whose contracts run out at the end of the season and can go for nothing?

Isn't it unique to our club in terms of extent? Can you name any other club so cursed? Have you ever wondered why?

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get how the price can be affected by a potential Obafemi deal as Mowbray isnt even sure if he is interested and whether a deal will be agreed with him. Plus if Armstrong is at a favourable rate, what stops Southampton cancelling the deal?

Rovers and Southampton will trust each other. 

If we don't sign Obafemi then Southampton will pay more for Armstrong by 5 million or so

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We are getting Obafemi as part of the deal. It has to be seperate for reasons stated above, im not repeating everything. Southampton have basically made an offer of 20 - 21 million for Armstrong. Thats what we wanted. To get 15 million plus a player who is young and has room to grow  i feel is a very good deal for someone who has 12 months left on their contract.

• Like 6

I'd rather have £21 million. The extra £6 million could be split up into 2 or 3 decent fees rather than 1 and address 2 or 3 positions.

I think Southampton are having our pants down again here and we are taking all the risk.

They are offloading an injury riddled youngster who has a lot to prove for a 'fee' of £6 million.

We are wiping away a big chunk of our Armstrong cash on a big gamble.

Nobody has yet answered my original question. If we can't afford to sign free agents or offer suitable terms to Kaminski, Nyambe or Rothwell to extend their deals then how can we afford to offer Obafemi a deal remotely close to what he will be on at Southampton?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd rather have £21 million. The extra £6 million could be split up into 2 or 3 decent fees rather than 1 and address 2 or 3 positions.

I think Southampton are having our pants down again here and we are taking all the risk.

They are offloading an injury riddled youngster who has a lot to prove for a 'fee' of £6 million.

Nobody has yet answered my original question. If we can't afford to sign free agents or offer suitable terms to Kaminski, Nyambe or Rothwell to extend their deals then how can we afford to offer Obafemi a deal remotely close to what he will be on at Southampton?

40% of whatever we would get instead of Obafemi would go to Newcastle though.

I agree his wages could be a problem but we managed it with Gallagher.

We have a years option on Kaminski,we don't know what discussions have been had.

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

How do we pay Obafemi?

We've supposedly tried and failed to offer new deals to Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell.

If we had any sense we would be offering extensions to Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Brereton

We have offered Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell. 

Are we not in talks for any of them? 

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Chaddy if Raya was still here he would be a great player in your opinion.

It's like last week debating with me over loan signings, you were adamant you didn't want loan signings brought in.Now we are seemingly signing the lad from Brighton you are happy about it.

I don't want 5 loan signings and I feel we need 1 or 2. 

How can I be happy about a player ive never seen played?

I said Raya needed replacing and we should sell and I still haven't change my mind that we were right to sell Raya

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we don't sign Obafemi then Southampton will pay more for Armstrong by 5 million or so

I don't buy that for a second. They've worked Obaf into the deal because they don't want to pay any more in cash. There's no way they're chucking on another £5m if we can't agree personal terms

Edited by JoeH

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

In your dreams!

Anyhow, I wouldn't trust Waggott and co as far as I could spit.

If Rovers try to pull a fast one, Newcastle will be all over Rovers like a rash.  As a business man, Ashley is a b@stard and will have his pants taken down by no one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well, actually it would only be £3.3m given the 45% clause to Newcastle 

If they club have managed to tie in Obafemi whilst keeping him out of the Armstrong transfer they have effectively saved paying Mike Ashley £2.7m which I think we can all agree is a fairly decent bit of business 

12 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

We are getting Obafemi as part of the deal. It has to be seperate for reasons stated above, im not repeating everything. Southampton have basically made an offer of 20 - 21 million for Armstrong. Thats what we wanted. To get 15 million plus a player who is young and has room to grow  i feel is a very good deal for someone who has 12 months left on their contract.

How can it be a "good deal" for a player who has a horrendous record with injuries, missing large parts of the past 2 seasons seasons then having surgery earlier this year for another injury?

We should not be paying any money for Obafemi. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Well, actually it would only be £3.3m given the 45% clause to Newcastle 

If they club have managed to tie in Obafemi whilst keeping him out of the Armstrong transfer they have effectively saved paying Mike Ashley £2.7m which I think we can all agree is a fairly decent bit of business 

100%. Sorts out a Arma replacement while getting greater value for his transfer that we don’t have to split with Newcastle. 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

In your dreams!

Anyhow, I wouldn't trust Waggott and co as far as I could spit.

If Rovers try to pull a fast one, Newcastle will be all over Rovers like a rash.  As a business man, Ashley is a b@stard and will have his pants taken down by no one.

What can they do? Clubs do stuff like this to get around sell-on clauses all the time. You don't think Ashley does stuff like this?

Its not like they're losing out on all that much anyway. What's 40% of 3-5 million really worth to a PL club? If I was Ashely, i'd be patting myself on the back for having that 40% clause put in, in the first place. They are going to get a nice chunk of money.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah didn't someone say if Obafemi refuses, the deal for AA goes up by 3 million? So isnt that more likely the fee we're paying/not paying for Obafemi? 

I think that's speculation at this point. If we get both deal over the line we'll have a 20-year-old promising striker on a longer contract with some cash to bolster the squad or take care of contractual issues. Seems apparent that we're low-balling our established players and hiding behind covid-19.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Think all these contracts will just be left to run to be honest. I can't see any of them signing new deals even if we did offer them.

Whilst I am inclined to agree, you never know. Would have thought the same about JRC but not long after the option was taken by the club, he signed on. Perhaps Brereton out of all of them will appreciate where he has got to under TMs management and commit a few more years. 

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't buy that for a second. They've worked Obaf into the deal because they don't want to pay any more in cash. There's no way they're chucking on another £5m if we can't agree personal terms

Well then rovers will say no deal?He hasn't put pen to paper yet.

If all this stuff about Obafemi is true and Rovers only agreed to the deal If he could be brought in as part of it then we ain't going to sell just for the initial fee agreed,we will want extra money