BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A lot on speculation of what the fee is, add ons, £6 million for an unproven etc etc and now the likelihood of AAs fee being undisclosed.

Let's me clear on one thing. Mike Ashley will know and get his full 40%.

In a contest of Swag v Ashley there can be only one ..... winner

As I asked someone earlier, what exactly can Ashley do?

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not sure how avoiding paying Mike Ashley £2.7 million really changes anything. We still get the majority of profit on him so the more he goes for the more we get (and Newcastle). It is therefore in both our interests to get as much as possible.

The only real question here is whether this Obafemi is worth the  multi-millions we look like missing out on by accepting a lower fee and taking him on top of it. I'd say not given our current predicament and need for investment in multiple areas but I'd be happy to be proved wrong if it turns out to be a masterstroke.

Personally I think this is the only way Mowbray will be able to get a 'cash' signing - by knocking it off the Armstrong deal and arguing that it makes sense to do so to deprive Newcastle of more cash. I'm sure the Venkys would be well up for such a scheme.

On the flip side I suspect Mowbray knows full well that if Armstrong is purely cash then that money disappears and he's back to loans only from the owners.

Avoiding paying anyone £2.7m is a good thing 

If that £2.7m goes to the asking price of Obafemi then we have saved money - that is basic commercial management 

I think the last paragraph sums it up and explains this transfer. If he takes the cash it is lost in the club - if he ties it in with a player at least he has a body in the door to replace Armstrong with 

From the fleeting moments I have seen of Obafemi he looked a decent player anyway 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Well Ashley has started Admin proceedings for other companies for only a £10 debt so you can guarantee he will try everything to get £m's back if he thinks he is owed them.

• Like 1

Just now, phili said:

Well Ashley has started Admin proceedings for other companies for only a £10 debt so you can guarantee he will try everything to get £m's back if he thinks he is owed them.

I think thats why its being done as a seperate deal. Sneaky? Yes, against the rules, I dont think so .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We lost 11 players though.12 if you include Armstrong.We have talent in the under 23s but it's being extremely optimistic to think that 7..8..10..11..12 of those are going to come in and be ready or capable of playing at this level.

Some of those would be better sent to league 1 or 2 to develop.

I agree we need quality but we need numbers in.Some of the younger players in the academy's from the premier league will be more ready than our own 

The first 11 on Saturday was respectable -with plenty of players capable of  room to improve over a season. 

We have players to return from injury: JRC, Wharton, Johnson, Chapman, Dack.  All of whom would be expected to be in the bench at least when fit.

We have lads such as Butterworth, McBride, Garret, Cirino, Pike, Carter that could slot in for the odd game or cover the bench.  We have a million keepers.

3 signings that can go straight into the first team are all that's needed at this point of time IMO.  A CB, CM and striker.

Not a problem if If we take a punt on a talented kid (from an elite club) on top of that but not essential. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not a group dripping with quality but the less players we have, the less Tony can tinker which may actually make us more consistent.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’d rather us spend that 6 million on a centre half for when Ayala is inevitably crocked again. Give Diaz and Gally the chance to prove there worth this season and shore up the backline. 

Tbh i don't think either of them can play the pressing game as well as AA - which means Dolan will be put there.

Obefami sounds perfect "as a player" and IF he wants to get a good move in 2 years time then we are a good bet for him to show what he can do.

Also suspect BB will move abroad in january for naff all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

You do not want to mess with Ashley.

I did work for an organisation who had dealings with his businesses and he and his senior management team are absolutely ruthless.  You try and 'do' him then expect to pay a very heavy price. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, callumrovers said:

I think thats why its being done as a seperate deal. Sneaky? Yes, against the rules, I dont think so .

I personally think there are 2 people in football you wouldn't try this out on, Levy and Ashley.

We'll end up paying 40% of Obafemi's fee to Newcastle.

• Like 4

Just now, Mercer said:

You do not want to mess with Ashley.

I did work for an organisation who had dealings with his businesses and he and his senior management team are absolutely ruthless.  You try and 'do' him then expect to pay a very heavy price. 

And what has that got to do with anything except yet another name drop? 

If the Obafemi deal is separate to the Armstrong deal, which appears to be the case given AA has had a medical and should sign today whereas Obafemi isn’t close as yet, then Mike Ashley has absolutely no recourse

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I'm no lawyer but have an expert forensically examine the transfer details and take it from there.

I'm basing that on 15 million cash plus a player for 6 million that we don't actually pay for.

I'm happy to be told my reading of posts on here is wrong.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm no lawyer but have an expert forensically examine the transfer details and take it from there.

I'm basing that on 15 million cash plus a player for 6 million that we don't actually pay for.

I'm happy to be told my reading of posts on here is wrong.

Isnt the value of a player set by Southampton? Its up to them what they accept?

Ashley is owed 40% of any profit made on our selling of AA. We sell AA at 15 million, Ashely gets a very nice slice.

We then buy another player from Southampton in a separate deal. 

No laws broken, no contracts reneged on. Nothing he can do.

If he that worried about a couple of million, he might wanna ask himself why he wasted 40 million on Joelinton.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Avoiding paying anyone £2.7m is a good thing 

If that £2.7m goes to the asking price of Obafemi then we have saved money - that is basic commercial management 

I think the last paragraph sums it up and explains this transfer. If he takes the cash it is lost in the club - if he ties it in with a player at least he has a body in the door to replace Armstrong with 

From the fleeting moments I have seen of Obafemi he looked a decent player anyway 

We haven't saved money if the asking price for Obafemi is excessive or inflated.

I just think it is quite extreme that for a club supposedly in dire straits financially, one that is unable to even issue new contracts or sign free agents, that we are now 'paying' £5 or £6 million for this guy and however much wages he is on.

Remember when our lot went up against Gibson over the Rhodes deal ?

They didn't win that one but there's no harm in trying it on i suppose it's just business. Newcastle will get their cut there'll be no shafting them but the deal has to be the best one Rovers can get.

I think their reasons for wanting a player in are genuine and not trying to swerve anything. Any money that comes in just gets swallowed up straight away but a player at least is a physical asset.

Whether they get him for the right price or get their pants pulled down again is another matter. 

Bigger the fee bigger the agents percentage ( or whoever is doing the deals).

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We have players to return from injury: JRC, Wharton, Johnson, Chapman, Dack.  All of whom would be expected to be in the bench at least when fit.

Looks good on paper but Dack may never return to the form we saw early days here and as for Chapman----is he ever fit?

Dack was just unlucky but we have developed a habit of gambling on players with terrible injury records----probably because they're cheap. And its bitten us on the arse.

37 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I have to say I am amazed at some of the football knowledge on here 

How folk have managed to conclude that Obafemi has a stinking attitude, whilst also calling him a nobody, is a great feat of invention imo 

None of us really know anything about him, let’s be honest

Really ?

His manager questioned his attitude 

How many games has he played in his career?

Your last paragraph contradicts your previous sentence 🙄

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And what has that got to do with anything except yet another name drop? 

If the Obafemi deal is separate to the Armstrong deal, which appears to be the case given AA has had a medical and should sign today whereas Obafemi isn’t close as yet, then Mike Ashley has absolutely no recourse

Indeed.. we are getting 15 million and then in effect getting a player on a free in a sep deal. You could argue he could be worth 3 or 20 million but if he comes no money will be exchanged.. so it's kind of pointless discussing his worth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starscascade said:

Is this why the deal is only 15 Million? instead of mowbrays 25 asking price

Yes, essentially. They value Obafemi at 6 million so if what Nixon says is true (haha), we're essentially getting him for nothing which brings the overall deal for AA to 21 million. 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Really ?

His manager questioned his attitude 

How many games has he played in his career?

Your last paragraph contradicts your previous sentence 🙄

We're not picking players from the top shelf. Reportedly more clubs than us are after Obafemi so guess they must have seen something they like, or are we the true experts here?

It's where we set the bar going forward. Unlike last season, there's no talk about promotion this season, just 'let's see how we go'. We ended 15th last season and have lost some key players since then. Who can we realistically attract to replace Armstrong? I think going back to the success we had with him makes sense in trying to sign Obafemi.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Whoever inserted that claus knew what they were doing, and knew Armstrong was a future prospect.

I saw we spend all the 15 million, deal with them later. Meanwhile blow it on a good promotion season. Ha ha as if

Mowbray doesn't do boom and bust he does slow waste, money, sorry slow build... 🤥