BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

14 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Head of recruitment and assistant watching local games isn’t exactly what I’d call unusual in football!

The caveat “guests of boro” simply explains where the tickets came from (as stated were playing them soon) however make of it what you will!

Agree on the first bit - it is that little caveat that strikes me as odd.

Guests of Blackpool would have made more sense to me (but i don't work in football so that is why i wonder)

32 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Head of recruitment and assistant watching local games isn’t exactly what I’d call unusual in football!

The caveat “guests of boro” simply explains where the tickets came from (as stated were playing them soon) however make of it what you will!

Why would head of recruitment be scouting opponents?  Can't possibly be in his remit.

15 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Agree on the first bit - it is that little caveat that strikes me as odd.

Guests of Blackpool would have made more sense to me (but i don't work in football so that is why i wonder)

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Why would head of recruitment be scouting opponents?  Can't possibly be in his remit.

It’s merely down to the boro link with TM that it stands out.

As for remit of head of recruitment watching games - it’s plausible we’re looking at boro or blackpool players, or meeting with agents / representatives? 

Id rather see who we end up signing and judge that part of his influence. It’s seemingly difficult to get players within a specific wage remit - might also explain why so many of our own are in their last years.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Venus and Park were at Blackpool on Tuesday as guests of Middlesbrough although I suspect it was more to do with the fact we play Middlesbrough soon rather than actually scouting players.

I suspect it was more a jolly for old boys.

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Smallwood

Pears

Ayala

Downing

Chapman

Leutweiler 

Anyone I've missed that has Boro links?

Souness signed Harkneas, Bjornebye, Friedel, he signed Tugay, Amoruso and Ferguson from rangers. Hughes’ Welsh lads?

They all do it, it’s standard practice of many of our managers. 

Not comparing TM to premier league quality managers by the way, that shouldn’t need to be said but here we are!

Also never forget Greame signed Ali Dia 😆 

• Like 4

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Believe that Graham was a Lambert/Coyle signing. Got a feeling that we're forgetting another though.

Well he had Armstrong at Coventry if we’re spotting old club / players.

Paul Downing at WBA?

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Is that normal?? Sounds bizarre to me

Each club gets an allocation of guest tickets for visiting directors etc. Blackpool had a large number of requests from scouts from various clubs and filled the allocated areas so our people used two of Middlesbroughs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Souness signed Harkneas, Bjornebye, Friedel, he signed Tugay, Amoruso and Ferguson from rangers. Hughes’ Welsh lads?

They all do it, it’s standard practice of many of our managers. 

Not comparing TM to premier league quality managers by the way, that shouldn’t need to be said but here we are!

Also never forget Greame signed Ali Dia 😆 

Yeah I get that...but 6 from one club seems a bit excessive.  Only the first season from Smallwood and half a first season from Downing is the only value we've had from that lot.  Piss poor really.

Pretty much all the players you mentioned above (except for soft lad Ferguson) ranged from decent to exceptional.

Difference in calibre of manager I suppose.

44 minutes ago, JBiz said:

As for remit of head of recruitment watching games - it’s plausible we’re looking at boro or blackpool players, or meeting with agents / representatives? 

That's exactly what people are worried about, that he is looking at Boro players again. You'd expect it would be their rejects and fringe players mostly in the cup, too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

if he is off to Bournemoth then that would mean that Danjuma is leaving them as well. Makes them worse off if you ask me.

Rovers just cannot seem to get their business right in any way shape or form other than in a totally inept and incompetent way🤬

But at least Park is a workaholic

23 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Barely lol - he started his career there in 2004 and played on loan there for a season a bit later on. Besides, he was pre-Mowbray.

Uh, so they made him and then he went back there later. Yeh I think that counts.

Also nobody is saying they need to be connected to Mowbray's time at Boro, just Boro - the club he loves, is a hero at, still lives near and has many connections at.