BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Entirely my point really, you're not improving the team at all because no matter how good they are, they're not here the following season so you never get any long term progression. 

The thing with this lad, is that his career at Leeds is going nowhere. He has to put himself in the shop window, to either get a permanant move here or another club. So I think at least he will be doing his best.

27 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t know if they have been mentioned before but fraser Hornby is a name in the mix and I feel the club should be looking at Jason Kerr- have no information that we are interested. 

Hornby? he's only scored 3  more than Nyambe in his career 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

The loan thing really annoys me. 

Tosin - Bauer would have been a much better choice. We would have had three seasons of the chap by now, rather than one, in which we are short. 

Walton - you are telling me there wasn't a better keeper available for the wages and loan fee. Given I think most keepers would have been better than him this was a colossal waste of money. And all the "we got Kaminski" firstly didn't undo all Walton's howlers and we would have either had a second choice keeper covered or someone to sell - either to our advantage, and still have Kaminski last year.

Douglas and Trybull the same. There weren't players of that quality knocking around League 1 or freebies? Find that hard to believe. In fairness Douglas did look good on paper, but even then with his wages and loan fee, would we have been better getting Pickering in earlier and another year's experience at this level under his belt? 

Braothwaite - am sure there must have been a league 1 player with potential that we could have got a loan to buy with instead. 

All the way back to league 1 we haven't massively got it right with loan players. At least then loan with option to buy helped us with Armstrong and Downing. I've more patience with these kind of deals because if they work out we can take advantage of them and sign them, if not send them back. The risk v benefit is more balanced whereas with the loans they are much more stacked against us. 

I think most agree on principle. In reality it's a lot harder.

Bauer - I think we were in, but he partially went to Preston because Mowbray wouldn't promise him a starting spot. Looks poorly handled considering we chased him for a long time.

Walton - Agree, you think decent keepers would've been available. An area where I think the gap between League one and Championship is not that great. We used the Raya money towards Gallagher. Walton was not the first option, I think we were close to bringing in Martinez from Arsenal(now Villa) on loan, which could've been a totally different animal

Douglas and Trybull however I think was decent on paper. Douglas looked like a coup, but ended up as dud. Trybull was a decent enough squad player, with a good pedigree from Championship and PL experience, also paid very little of his wages. Also Pickering had only had a decent season in League 2 at that time, so I think he was not on the radar. There are some diamonds in League One, but most fails. Amari Bell was rated one of the best in division which tells you something about the level. You'd find better and cheaper options abroad, but that requires scouting and know-how which has been lacking.

Braithwaite was just a stop-gap loan. The club hedged with bringing in Harwood-Bellis well.  You'll find that League One clubs are reluctant to loan-to-buy deals. They prefer to sell, esp if there best players. This was also in January where prices would be at a premium. Wharton and Ayala was injured but would return, so not sure if a permanent buy would make sense at that time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Leeds lad was fairly down the list of wingers to be honest, means they didn’t get those they really wanted. Still got to give the lad a chance.

been told still working away at a perm striker, keeping the number 7 shirt open for this 

Understand it's an expensive deal for Rovers and the lad will be one of the highest paid players (if not the highest)  we have.

Also, believe there is another lad on his way from Liverpool on loan.

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

No names, just enough info to make you think he's ITK , but no real information to prove it 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Cos nobody else has mentioned him and if he was signed Chaddy can be King Player Suggester.👍

Stop provoking people. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Understand it's an expensive deal for Rovers and the lad will be one of the highest paid players (if not the highest)  we have.

He is only on 11k a week at Leeds?I doubt very much we will be paying 100% of his salary.So he won't be our highest earner 

I look forward to finding out who this Liverpool player is🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Looks like 10k a week if we’re covering his entire wages, and I don’t think we will be doing.

E130D77E-0426-4044-9444-6281E359452C.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Looks like 10k a week if we’re covering his entire wages, and I don’t think we will be doing.

E130D77E-0426-4044-9444-6281E359452C.jpeg

Not saying you’re lying of course, but it would surprise me if Poveda was on more than two first team regulars!

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Not saying you’re lying of course, but it would surprise me if Poveda was on more than two first team regulars!

Of course it’s worth taking all “Googled figures” with a pinch of salt.

4 minutes ago, briansol said:

I think most agree on principle. In reality it's a lot harder.

Bauer - I think we were in, but he partially went to Preston because Mowbray wouldn't promise him a starting spot. Looks poorly handled considering we chased him for a long time.

Walton - Agree, you think decent keepers would've been available. An area where I think the gap between League one and Championship is not that great. We used the Raya money towards Gallagher. Walton was not the first option, I think we were close to bringing in Martinez from Arsenal(now Villa) on loan, which could've been a totally different animal

Douglas and Trybull however I think was decent on paper. Douglas looked like a coup, but ended up as dud. Trybull was a decent enough squad player, with a good pedigree from Championship and PL experience, also paid very little of his wages. Also Pickering had only had a decent season in League 2 at that time, so I think he was not on the radar. There are some diamonds in League One, but most fails. Amari Bell was rated one of the best in division which tells you something about the level. You'd find better and cheaper options abroad, but that requires scouting and know-how which has been lacking.

Braithwaite was just a stop-gap loan. The club hedged with bringing in Harwood-Bellis well.  You'll find that League One clubs are reluctant to loan-to-buy deals. They prefer to sell, esp if there best players. This was also in January where prices would be at a premium. Wharton and Ayala was injured but would return, so not sure if a permanent buy would make sense at that time.

Thanks for the well reasoned reply. I disagree with a fair bit (as you with me) but appreciate the tone and your explanation. 

Think we both agree Bauer was a cock up by TM. 

Martinez - man that would have been an improvement had we got him. Thinking on the difference in class makes you want to weep. Again though like with Tosin, unless they push you over the finish line to promotion, in some respects they are a waste. In which case longer term a solid league 1/championship keeper would have been better for us long term. That said given how many goals he cost us maybe Martinez would have been the difference... 

Douglas and Trybull I see the point (especially with the former) but again it's the short termism which is a huge problem. Let's say all of the loans worked out last season, if we didn't get promoted that's still half a team to replace. That's no way to build a team, be sustainable on or off the pitch. Also as you said Trybull was a decent enough squad player - that's not a difference maker, so why waste a loan on that? Surely we could have had a decent enough squad player from the pool of freebies/lower leagues, and benefit from that continuity and asset wise for more than one season. 

The more I reflect on it, it's the wholesale nature of it that's the problem. You can make a decent case for most of the loans (not Walton mind) but when you put it all together it ruins continuity, increases transfer workload and doesn't help finances. It's sticking plasters on gaping wounds. 

Agree there is a risk of league 1 players not making it, even if they look promising. But equally a fair number do make it. That's where good scouting comes in. It is possible. Likewise as you say scouting abroad could also have mitigated this issue. Point is, either way, there are ways around these difficulties if we could be arsed to take them. 

Fair point on loans to buy with lower leagues although think it could certainly work with premiership youngsters. 

As for Braithwaite, even as a stop gap he was pretty poor. And so we got no benefit from it, only Everton did as he learned from his mistakes here. At least our youngsters would have learned and still been on our books. Or a loan to buy (admittedly that probably wouldn't have been from lower leagues on reflection) could have helped with the potential summer transfer window. Another centre back was/is needed. Ayala's injury record is horrific, Warton could take a fair while to come back and we are assuming he will come back at the same level (some don't.) Especially if they could cover a full back position, knowing we were a bit weak in those areas, and a defensive signing made a lot of sense. 

Anyhow quibbles about individuals aside, a successful team cannot be built on youth loans from the big 6. It's not a good foundation for the club whatsoever. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He is only on 11k a week at Leeds?I doubt very much we will be paying 100% of his salary.So he won't be our highest earner 

I look forward to finding out who this Liverpool player is🙂

I think your figures are very wrong.

My understand is it is an expensive deal (loan fee and wages) for Rovers.

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, rigger said:

It depends what is in each contract, rather than who is playing or not.

Well, obviously. 
It would be unusual for a young inexperience player, to be earning more than seasoned pros, our another way….

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think your figures are very wrong.

My understand is it is an expensive deal (loan fee and wages) for Rovers.

He signed for them when they where a championship club, has not extended his contract in that time.I just don't believe we will be paying the majority of his wages.

Orta from Leeds said the move is about gametime and they wouldn't have had many takers if they expected the majority of his wages paying.

Besides weren't you saying earlier in the summer we have hardly any money and can't spend and now you are saying we have brought in a Leeds under 23 and had to make him one of the best if not the best paid player at the club to make it happen?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

The most important transfer activity should be a change of manager.

If we really are in the financial mess that is reported, why do we need to replace Armstrong? 

Shouldnt the money be spent in at least tying down Kaminski,Brereton & Rothwell to longer contracts to get a decent fee if they go? In a less than ideal scenario  which we have Id chance Nyambe & Lenihan leaving on frees.

That's because we are being steered by a duo who let things happen then moan about it endlessly. 

Nothing to do with them at all they shrug.

2 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

The most important transfer activity should be a change of manager.

If we really are in the financial mess that is reported, why do we need to replace Armstrong? 

Shouldnt the money be spent in at least tying down Kaminski,Brereton & Rothwell to longer contracts to get a decent fee if they go? In a less than ideal scenario  which we have Id chance Nyambe & Lenihan leaving on frees.

This is the most important issue at the club currently, we have enough about us to stay up this season.

Use any cash from the Armstrong sale to get the existing assets signed on so we don't lose a small fortune next summer when our best players leave for free. That would no doubt end in relegation or administration shortly after as we won't replace them.

You have to wonder if the current leadership are just thinking it will be someone else's problem as its been dragging on for over a year.

• Like 4