BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Form from a previous season has no bearing whatsoever, I would be targetting 9 points from those first five fixtures.

F that Rigger mate - if I was a half decent Championship manager with a decent set of hairy balls, I'd be targeting 15 points from the first 5 fixtures. Anything else says we are already accepting capitulation and defeat.

Set us up to win. Work hard every game to win. Give 100% on the field of play and leave nothing in the dressing room. Encourage a winning mentality and focus on beating the opposition, whoever they are.

And then I woke up, and it was 2021 and we had a gurning has-been as manager, half the team had left or been let go and the happy clappers were out in force saying that avoiding the drop this year will be our Cup Final.

Then the hapless Maggot shuffles across like some  shady spiv, and offers me a slap in the chops (previously known as a season ticket)..

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, rigger said:

Form from a previous season has no bearing whatsoever, I would be targetting 9 points from those first five fixtures.

Not always the case I agree, but there are countless examples of teams continuing good/bad end of season runs into the next.

In our case, the same management/tactics/players will likely result in the same outcome as the last third of last season.

18 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Horrid opening month. Difficult November. Horrid February with a little bit of comfort in April as we will already be relegated by then🤬

I honestly don't think we will be anywhere near relegation.

Edited by rigger

You have to be pretty bad to get relegated from this division. Remember that despite having Coyle for 9 months we still collected 51 points and should have survived.

We've come full circle now though and Mowbray will be hailed as a genuis if he manages to guide us to safety. Almost as though the last 4 years never happened.

I struggle to get excited by fixture release day. Ultimately everyone plays each other twice. 

I suspect a 'good' season for us this season will be one where we retain our championship status. We blew our big promotion chance last season when we actually had a pretty good team (but a dreadful manager). 

Edited by rovers11

We haven’t got the nucleus of a team to make progression far too many youngsters will not achieve this because after a couple of defeats heads will drop, no new talent will come in and therefore there will be endless defeats and a poor season.

To get out of this league you need experienced heads. We have seen it before. Remember Gordon Cowans and Kevin Moran. Flitcroft, Dunn and Berg and Short.

We need these type of characters to achieve safety never mind promotion

25 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Any guesses on what the rules might be for away games yet?

The only way I can begin to be interested in the fixture list is if I can start planning some jollies.

Think positive, away fans will be allowed. Get down to Bermondsey.

• Like 1

Amazing that West Brom would go for the Barnsley manager and not Mowbray.

Expect Barnsley to repeat their last 3 tricks and headhunt an obscure European manager - this is how well run clubs operate - have a back up plan and know who they want. We'd just wait for Mowbray to leave and then see who threw themselves at it and give it them.

• Like 3

Clubs like that are set up to withstand managerial change, they have proper structure in place. Change is all part and parcel of football and a gaffer can leave or be sacked at a moments notice for any number of reasons.

Relying on them soley to almost completely run the whole show at clubs the size of championship ones is plain crazy. Even worse when you allow them to employ all their pals and deal with their pals.

Not here though, that's the norm and the blueprint for how not to prosper.

• Like 5

I'll probably get heat for this, but I'd rather Rovers lose those first 5 games and then have Mowbray either gone or having an epiphany that results in decent football and a good run from december throghout the season. Sick of Rovers starting the season looking like contenders and then fizzle out around Christmas thus making the rest of the season a slog and more than a little infuriating. Send the boys to Iceland for pre-season so they get used to the cold and perhaps a bit of muscle. And at least TRY to bring some enthusiasm back! 

28 minutes ago, moerpho said:

I'll probably get heat for this, but I'd rather Rovers lose those first 5 games and then have Mowbray either gone or having an epiphany that results in decent football and a good run from december throghout the season. Sick of Rovers starting the season looking like contenders and then fizzle out around Christmas thus making the rest of the season a slog and more than a little infuriating. Send the boys to Iceland for pre-season so they get used to the cold and perhaps a bit of muscle. And at least TRY to bring some enthusiasm back! 

Do you think that 5 losses would cause Mowbray to be sacked?

3 hours ago, moerpho said:

We'd be told the owners are aware of the form and disappointed with results. Then we'd win the 6th game 5-2 and be told the owners still like and trust Mowbray and haven't considered his position. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

When you look at the dreary names we've had here or linked with the job here and the bungled managerial appointments and compare to how Barnsley operate it is chalk and cheese. Which is why on a fraction of the losses they actually got to the play-offs whereas we plod along wasting millions.

They've done two things in the last week that haven't happened here in a decade and won't happen under these owners.

Firstly they've had their manager headhunted and snatched away from them as he performed so well last year.

Secondly they've responded to that by targeting and lining up a replacement in a matter of days who doesn't come from the washed up or cheap and cheerful brigade.

• Like 6

small article in the sunday sun that gallagher,impressed by breretons chile soujorn,will attempt to earn an international call up with scotland(got some scottish relation apparently)🤣,interestingly it possibly will create tension with mowbray because he is`nt going earn a scotland place by impersonating a winger and mowbray is`nt suddenly going to play him centre forward,brockhall will be such a happy place this season!!!