BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Any word on a new head of recruitment? Surely should be wrapped up by now. I wonder what's going on. Maybe they won't get anyone 

Strange set of circumstances .

Either, now, no requirement due to financial circumstances, or those circumstances have lead chosen candidate to withdraw.

1 hour ago, blondie said:

Strange set of circumstances .

Either, now, no requirement due to financial circumstances, or those circumstances have lead chosen candidate to withdraw.

I asked Crooke yesterday he said he has been told by the club that they have chosen their preferred candidate and waiting for it to be signed off before announcing it 

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I asked Crooke yesterday he said he has been told by the club that they have chosen their preferred candidate and waiting for it to be signed off before announcing it 

Mail Online reporting about to appoint ex Celtic chief scout John Park.

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Another Mowbray led appointment judging by his background.

Nothing has changed, has it?

Very much so. 

Hard to know with this one though, van Djik was a long time ago and Celtic haven't exactly set the world alight with recruitment the last few years. As many misses as hits. 

At least it seems they are going to appoint someone though, finally 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

far too early to make any judgements on how every team will go this coming season. 

But worth of caution I remember certain people on here said Warnock would get Boro top 6 last season and they never got close and Rovers took 4 points of them. 

Most signings haven't been made at this level yet so we see in a few weeks time

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

far too early to make any judgements on how every team will go this coming season. 

But worth of caution I remember certain people on here said Warnock would get Boro top 6 last season and they never got close and Rovers took 4 points of them. 

They got a lot closer than us, spending less money, and he only took over a little over a year ago.

Year 5 of Mowbray and we're regressing.

• Like 4

• Backroom

The top six ended up making a bit of an embarrassment of the rest of the league last year tbh. Reading in 7th finished 7(!) points behind Bournemouth in 6th, and a ridiculous 27 points behind Norwich in 1st.

Now granted it's not uncommon in recent years for 1st place to slaughter the rest of the division, but that is the largest gap between 6th and 7th in the Championship since the 05/06 season when 7th placed Wolves finished 8 points behind Crystal Palace in 6th. 

Both sides seem to be run proactively but I am not convinced by Luton, any side that signs Amarii Bell is always going to raise question marks and in general their recruitment is a little peculiar, Cameron Jerome and even Henri Lansbury seem to have long since had their day, Burke in defence, Campbell in midfield and the trio of Gomes, Muskwe and Onyedimna are a little more interesting but not sure that they have enough to really overachieve.

QPR on the other hand seemed to be really strong in the second half of last season once they made signings that bar Johansen they have made permanent. Never been totally convinced by Warburton but they do seem to be putting something together there.

You would expect the relegated 3 and Bournemouth having retained much of their crown jewels and added Marcondes to all be up there, less convinced by Barnsley having had their manager and captain nabbed and Swansea without Ayew, Woodman, Guehi etc so maybe there are 2 spaces left. The front runners aside from maybe QPR for the top 6 would have to be Cardiff, Boro and Stoke for me, all managed by good managers and ssemingly improving on the pitch. Warnock always leans on experience but seems to be set to spice it up with a South American binge, McCarthy at Cardiff improved them so much last season and has added some more options so I think they will be up there and Stoke will miss Collins but Wilmot, Vrancic and Doughty look like decent additions and with the likes of Fletcher, Campbell and Fox to return to fitness they might be up there too.

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Warnock spent more transfer fees than we did last summer. 

Maybe. That's ignoring the 3 years £15 million investment that Mowbray had before then and substantial wages he was allowed to dish out.

Also ignoring the shambles Warnock inherited in 2020 compared to the freedom and stability Mowbray enjoyed.

Warnock didn't need to reach the play offs to make a laughing stock of Mowbray and his slow build drivel.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I also remember some poster's on here who were adamant that Mowbray was the right man for us and said that we would be challenging for the playoffs. We never got close and ended up closer to relegation.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We won't be top 2 

22 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

A reasonable piece ruined by the final couple of paragraphs.

We are in the state we are on Mowbray’s watch. The idea that no other manager could do better is a fallacy.

• Like 6

Just watched the first half of Derby v United, Derby have loads of trialists playing, like us they are under self inflicted limitations, Rooney seems to have had to go right through the bottom of the barrel with the likes of Sone Aluko, Phil Jagielka, Sam Baldock and Ravel Morrison with Richard Stearman as a sub.

Blackpool also made a very curious signing yesterday of Richard Keogh. He was a laughing stock in the second half of last season for Huddersfield, not the signing of a club with serious intentions of staying up.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Blackpool also made a very curious signing yesterday of Richard Keogh. He was a laughing stock in the second half of last season for Huddersfield, not the signing of a club with serious intentions of staying up.

Do not agree there.  We need a player like him. Blackpool will do OK. I'm worried.

• Like 2