BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

Sheffield United have a squad that looks on paper to be incredible at this level, they have 5 top end Championship strikers, they have 3 or 4 midfielders as good as any in the league, and so much quality and depth in defence, their whole team basically is proven at this level. Throw in a proven manager capable of promotion and everything seems in place.

I do think though that changing the formation without a major restructuring of the squad is asking for trouble, the squads been built over a number of years to play 3-5-2, the way that they played yesterday was totally unbalanced.

We impressed yesterday but I wouldn't be keen to put us too far above that clutch of teams at the bottom @chaddyrovers until we bring in some goals in the transfer market and some quality across the team. Mind you, there is some really poor teams in what looks a rather poor league this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sheffield United have a squad that looks on paper to be incredible at this level, they have 5 top end Championship strikers, they have 3 or 4 midfielders as good as any in the league, and so much quality and depth in defence, their whole team basically is proven at this level. Throw in a proven manager capable of promotion and everything seems in place.

I do think though that changing the formation without a major restructuring of the squad is asking for trouble, the squads been built over a number of years to play 3-5-2, the way that they played yesterday was totally unbalanced.

We impressed yesterday but I wouldn't be keen to put us too far above that clutch of teams at the bottom @chaddyrovers until we bring in some goals in the transfer market and some quality across the team. Mind you, there is some really poor teams in what looks a rather poor league this season.

I was surprised at the number of teams benches and how poor they were.

Not too sure if they have many out injured or what but Bournemouth bench on Friday night looked weak and they are one of the promotion favourites.

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

Not too sure if they have many out injured or what but Bournemouth bench on Friday night looked weak and they are one of the promotion favourites.

I think it is that point of the season whereby many teams are not finished in the market, the fact that it remains open after the season starts is absurd really. Opening day line ups tend to be a bit of a mismatch, signings to be made, players left out expecting a move, fitness issues from pre-season. But I agree, there were also not that many new signings playing across the board.

Fulham today seem to be missing quite a few, Reed, Cairney, Kongolo, Knockaert, Anguissa off the top of my head, possibly a mixture of injuries and players awaiting a move elsewhere.

Bournemouth have a series of players pictured who arent yet fit, Pearson, Steve Cook, Stacey, Lewis Cook, Danjuma, Lerma is banned, Leif Davis has just signed, that young left back Zemura looked all over the place defensively.

Reading named a 5 man bench which screamed of a gesture by the manager to the FA, considering that they are under an embargo. There are also rules I think around players who play one game being deemed to be part of a quota of players that you can sign so they are probably wary of playing kids and taking up spaces for new signings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They are media reports that Ramsdale is off to Arsenal shortly and Berge set to leave so will Jokanovic spend some money. I surprised he didn't play 4-3-3 or 4 at the back with diamond shape midfield and 2 strikers. Will be interesting how he does when he bring in some transfers as I think they need mini overhaul up if they to get top 6 this season

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I disagree on the quality of this league as I think apart from 4 teams who have kept their best players from relegation last season or Bournemouth who have a good squad overall and I rate Parker as manager. You seem a much of clubs who have good players but clubs that aren't willing to throwing millions after promotion and failing FFP like Reading and Derby have. Reading have only 16 senior players in the squad for yesterday game now after releasing players and loan players have left. Still expect another sale there of Joao or Puscas to balance their books there. 

on us, I expect us to make the signings we need for the squad overall and that will allow us to get a mid table finish which I would be happy with

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Probably down to players having injuries or self isolating of a positive test. Plus a lot of championship clubs haven't had properly pre season like training camp overseas or pre season friendly. Sheffield United have only had 1 pre season game. 

Plus clubs are waiting on PL clubs for loan like us or Stoke for example. Plus the Market hasn't really started yet

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They are media reports that Ramsdale is off to Arsenal shortly and Berge set to leave so will Jokanovic spend some money. I surprised he didn't play 4-3-3 or 4 at the back with diamond shape midfield and 2 strikers. Will be interesting how he does when he bring in some transfers as I think they need mini overhaul up if they to get top 6 this season

I disagree on the quality of this league as I think apart from 4 teams who have kept their best players from relegation last season or Bournemouth who have a good squad overall and I rate Parker as manager. You seem a much of clubs who have good players but clubs that aren't willing to throwing millions after promotion and failing FFP like Reading and Derby have. Reading have only 16 senior players in the squad for yesterday game now after releasing players and loan players have left. Still expect another sale there of Joao or Puscas to balance their books there. 

on us, I expect us to make the signings we need for the squad overall and that will allow us to get a mid table finish which I would be happy with

I just think for Sheffield United that they are so well suited to 3-5-2. They have 5 wing backs in Stevens, Baldock, Lowe, Bogle and Norrington-Davies who can all get forward, and they have 5 strikers who all are proven at this level bar maybe Mousset. They dont have any width in the squad and their tactics yesterday were very strange.

I think the relegated teams and Bournemouth have squads in a different league to the other 20. Not convinced why Parker has such a good reputation to be honest so unconvinced by him but the squad he has inherited is littered with proven quality.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just think for Sheffield United that they are so well suited to 3-5-2. They have 5 wing backs in Stevens, Baldock, Lowe, Bogle and Norrington-Davies who can all get forward, and they have 5 strikers who all are proven at this level bar maybe Mousset. They dont have any width in the squad and their tactics yesterday were very strange.

Well maybe they should have gone for a manager/head coach who played 3-5-2 formation regularly given the squad there?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the relegated teams and Bournemouth have squads in a different league to the other 20.

Thats where this FFP rules are so wrong cos they favour these relegation teams from PL. but thats a debate for another day hopefully

• Like 1

What the hell is wrong with the picture on Sky for the Coventry - Forest game? It's like someone has just turned all the colour, brightness & contrast up full on my TV! It was fine for the Fulham game before. It's burning my retinas! 😵😎

Edited by windymiller7

3 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

What the hell is wrong with the picture on Sky for the Coventry - Forest game? It's like someone has just turned all the colour, brightness & contrast up full on my TV! It was fine for the Fulham game before. It's burning my retinas! 😵😎

Yes, something definitely not right ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windymiller7 said:

Nice one, I was fiddling with the brightness, I thought I was back at Monroes 

• Like 1

I remember, after the transfer window and start last year, we had genuine high hopes for promotion. It was just a pity that we had Mowbray as manager and we tailed off with a typically bad run as the season progressed. Add that to the atrocious form towards the end of the season and we were lucky to stay up, and wouldn't have were it not for our start.

This window has been the complete opposite, and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up in a relegation battle. However, the league in general, bar the top 3 or 4, is pretty average and momentum and team spirit can therefore go a long way. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we cobble things together and end up in the playoffs.

Ultimately, we do have a good first XI, though injury-prone, and if the young lads step up (and why not considering their exploits in PL2 last season), the optimist in me isn't ruling out a good season.

• Like 2

On 09/08/2021 at 13:28, oozy said:

I remember, after the transfer window and start last year, we had genuine high hopes for promotion. It was just a pity that we had Mowbray as manager and we tailed off with a typically bad run as the season progressed. Add that to the atrocious form towards the end of the season and we were lucky to stay up, and wouldn't have were it not for our start.

This window has been the complete opposite, and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up in a relegation battle. However, the league in general, bar the top 3 or 4, is pretty average and momentum and team spirit can therefore go a long way. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we cobble things together and end up in the playoffs.

Ultimately, we do have a good first XI, though injury-prone, and if the young lads step up (and why not considering their exploits in PL2 last season), the optimist in me isn't ruling out a good season.

The main problem, as always, is the manager.

He's too streaky, ends up going on a reasonable run, followed by a disastrous one. 

Can't keep the consistency going, not even if he had the best squad in the league.

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Never seen them being a decent following to Ewood,same with us at the Hawthornes tbh.

Pretty decent one from us around Christmas/New Year when K**n first got the job. Around 3k in bad weather if memory serves for a promising 3-1 win with 10 men. Talk about a false dawn!