BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gallagher lacked that burst of pace to be a top striker, he was always a clever footballer though.

If he was coming through now, they'd never think about keeping him as a centre forward. Not surprising that he ended up playing his best football in his later years as he moved deeper and deeper. 

• Like 1

You're right, pace was an issue and confusion as to what position best suited him. i believe that he made his debut for Rovers on the right of midfield, having been prolific as a forward for the U21s. Finally, at Preston, I think he settled into a central midfield role - though, could be wrong. Had he played in Italy or Spain, he'd probably have been given a No.10 role. Given his talent, he should really have had more Scotland appearances - though, early in his career, there were complaints about his work-rate and desire, so perhaps, that played a role. But, he certainly had a good career at Preston NE, after a stop-start career before then.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

On 16/08/2021 at 12:34, riverholmes said:

You're right, pace was an issue and confusion as to what position best suited him. i believe that he made his debut for Rovers on the right of midfield, having been prolific as a forward for the U21s. Finally, at Preston, I think he settled into a central midfield role - though, could be wrong. Had he played in Italy or Spain, he'd probably have been given a No.10 role. Given his talent, he should really have had more Scotland appearances - though, early in his career, there were complaints about his work-rate and desire, so perhaps, that played a role. But, he certainly had a good career at Preston NE, after a stop-start career before then.

As I understand it he used to rock up to 5-a-side matches with his mates when he was on our books - he's just turn it on and blitz everyone when the team needed it. 

I'm sure he matured since then. 

23 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Fulham are looking dangerous, would put money on them easily going up 

Easily winning at Millwall 2-0 at HT that shows the difference between a team that will be up at the top at the end of the season and us who scraped a draw there on Saturday.

• Like 1

If reports are to be believed we offered Amari Bell a contract extension. For one reason or another he rejected that and instead joined Luton.

Now that would suggest that either our offer was beaten by Luton, or that he didn't fancy staying here and saw Luton as a better place for him to be.

Either way, it reflects pretty badly on this operation. I would confidently predict that Luton will finish above us this season and Bell will be a regular for them.

Luton are an awkward one for the excuse makers at Rovers because they bust the myth that you need a combination of huge crowds, parachute money and big wages to get anywhere in this league. A bit like Barnsley. They also manage to go about their business in a sensible manner, without breaking FFP rules (like we allegedly have) or without needing massive cost cutting and demolition of the squad (like we have) and manage to do it without losing £20,000,000 a year (like we do). 

• Like 1

Bell is a horrendous player at this level and it would be revisionism to suggest otherwise, and it said that we didnt offer him a deal if I recall on the official site. That being said, Luton certainly show us how to really get the most from what little they have, and it wouldnt surprise me if they finished above us. 

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bell is a horrendous player at this level and it would be revisionism to suggest otherwise, and it said that we didnt offer him a deal if I recall on the official site. That being said, Luton certainly show us how to really get the most from what little they have, and it wouldnt surprise me if they finished above us. 

decent manager is nathan jones,bit of a whiney **** but gets the best out of everyone with absolutely no money at all

• Like 1

I do think that again the standard of Championship is very poor this season.

Watched Huddersfield v Preston tonight which was a horrendous watch. Huddersfield are a constant calamity waiting to happen, there was one point near the end when the keeper came to catch, spilt it onto the head of his own player, before the ball rolled across to the erratic Naby Sarr who booted a clearance against his own man causing further chaos. Preston look to have made a huge mistake with the manager, they have some useful midfielders but are toothless in attack and leaky at the back.

Little surprise to me that Swansea lost again tonight, obviously I saw them first hand at Ewood and then also v Sheffield United in another awwful game, if Martin continues to try and play out they are asking for trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Huddersfield are a constant calamity waiting to happen, there was one point near the end when the keeper came to catch, spilt it onto the head of his own player, before the ball rolled across to the erratic Naby Sarr who booted a clearance against his own man causing further chaos. 

Don't understand what Huddersfield want to play like under their manager. Still think it's strange how they sacked Cowley and seemingly their owner is happy with these performances and these signings. 

Preston look to have made a huge mistake with the manager, they have some useful midfielders but are toothless in attack and leaky at the back.

They can appoint who they want but until they signed a goalscorer they will never improve. Never replaced Hugill and its shows. 

Little surprise to me that Swansea lost again tonight, obviously I saw them first hand at Ewood and then also v Sheffield United in another awwful game, if Martin continues to try and play out they are asking for trouble.

They don't have the players for this style and they needed signing. Their keeper is very dodgy. Buy isn't this Martin's style what the fans wanted to be playing?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Don't understand what Huddersfield want to play like under their manager. Still think it's strange how they sacked Cowley and seemingly their owner is happy with these performances and these signings. 

They can appoint who they want but until they signed a goalscorer they will never improve. Never replaced Hugill and its shows. 

They don't have the players for this style and they needed signing. Their keeper is very dodgy. Buy isn't this Martin's style what the fans wanted to be playing?

I cant imagine that the Swansea fans will want it for too long if they keep losing and to be honest having watched their first 2 games, they were hopeless v us and boring as sin v Sheffield United. All this bollocks about principles, philosophies and styles nowadays, football is and always has been about results and playing such illogical tactics will not help that objective.

Preston are one of a number of teams (us included) who lack a goalscorer. Hugill was never a goalscorer himself. But they have tended to punch above their weight, but falling into the trap of appointing a caretaker always carried a huge risk. They look really poor. They can still improve from being 24th even without signing a prolific goalscorer, as helpful as that would be.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant imagine that the Swansea fans will want it for too long if they keep losing and to be honest having watched their first 2 games, they were hopeless v us and boring as sin v Sheffield United. All this bollocks about principles, philosophies and styles nowadays, football is and always has been about results and playing such illogical tactics will not help that objective.

Well they were complaining Cooper's style and dullness of the play regardless of results? 

I agree on They being hopeless against us and boring against Sheffield United. 

If Swansea want to play this style and play it at all levels but currently it ain't going to get them promote. 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Preston are one of a number of teams (us included) who lack a goalscorer. Hugill was never a goalscorer himself. But they have tended to punch above their weight, but falling into the trap of appointing a caretaker always carried a huge risk. They look really poor. They can still improve from being 24th even without signing a prolific goalscorer, as helpful as that would be.

I would say Brereton could be that goalscorer but we need another striker in 

Preston when they had Hugill as a focus point and could play from that. They don't have that now. 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

If reports are to be believed we offered Amari Bell a contract extension. For one reason or another he rejected that and instead joined Luton.

Now that would suggest that either our offer was beaten by Luton, or that he didn't fancy staying here and saw Luton as a better place for him to be.

Either way, it reflects pretty badly on this operation. I would confidently predict that Luton will finish above us this season and Bell will be a regular for them.

Luton are an awkward one for the excuse makers at Rovers because they bust the myth that you need a combination of huge crowds, parachute money and big wages to get anywhere in this league. A bit like Barnsley. They also manage to go about their business in a sensible manner, without breaking FFP rules (like we allegedly have) or without needing massive cost cutting and demolition of the squad (like we have) and manage to do it without losing £20,000,000 a year (like we do). 

Where exactly have Luton got? Steady on, a good start to the season but unless they get promoted or finish in the top 6 should we really be looking on in envy?

As for Bell could it not be as simple that he wanted regular first team games?He was in and out of the team here and is not a very good player.

If we were signing the players that Luton have I can almost guarantee that you would be critical of it

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

For Luton, Bell plays as a wingback in a 3-5-2 system. He has impressed their fans in all 3 games so far, being slated as a 'big improvement' on the player he replaced in the team. 

Fair play but he was absolutely dogshit here and there would have been uproar on here JHRover included if we had given him a new deal 

37 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Fair play but he was absolutely dogshit here and there would have been uproar on here JHRover included if we had given him a new deal 

Yes he was - but how much of that is down to him and how much is it down to being utilised/man-managed poorly? Was a wingback at Fleetwood and then stuck at LB here. Gone to Luton and is now wingback again and seemingly doing well (so far).